PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Gronk may retire if he doesn’t get a new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a legend, but honestly he can't stay on the field. Hard to justify giving him the contract he's looking for when you know he's going to miss 2+ games a year at a minimum, and is one bad hit away from IR.

The only way gronk is going to be paid at the top end of the TE market here is if it's all incentive based for a 16 game season, and he's got that now and he doesn't like it.

Probably best for the Pats if he does retire. He’s the GOAT but his prime is over. He’s way too expensive for 5-8 games of solid, non-game changing play which is all you can hope for out of him

Given his age and amount of wear and tear in him, I don’t see any reason to expect him to be an elite player going forward. It could happen but it seems like an unlikely proposition at this point and not one worth betting significant cap space on in the future

depends on what kind of numbers he’s looking for but there’s no way he’s getting top of the market TE money from the pats. Would like to have him for 2019 but that 9 mil would have to be lowered.

Probably for the best. Unless there is a drastic change after the bye, he's looked done all year. It was great while it lasted, glad he for a couple of rings.

Then he’s gone. The Patriots are not going to give him what he’s looking for when he’s as banged up as he is.

Bill trying to trade Gronk before the draft is making more sense as the season goes on.

I cannot see Gronk getting a new contract personally numerous reasons the biggest one for me is his lack of playing time. Gronk cannot guarantee 12 healthy games a season.

If I’m giving him a new contract it will have a decent signing bonus but it will be heavily incentive based for the rest of it.

Based on his cap hit for 2019 and the subsequent dead money if he is not on the roster next year, the decision has already been made for him.

I hope he does retire. TE is too important of a position to a qb like Brady to have an unreliable player at the position. Nevermind the "next guy" at qb, they need to get the current guy at qb the "next guy" at TE cuz Krafty Bob traded the "next guy" at qb for a box of footballs and some pinnies when he committed to the current guy at qb

Kittle would look real good in a pats uni.
Maybe we can re open talks with LA for Gronk closer to draft time.

I hope he does retire. TE is too important of a position to a qb like Brady to have an unreliable player at the position. Nevermind the "next guy" at qb, they need to get the current guy at qb the "next guy" at TE cuz Krafty Bob traded the "next guy" at qb for a box of footballs and some pinnies when he committed to the current guy at qb

The next guy at qb got a 2nd rounder in return and through less than a full season of playing time has proven to be one of the least durable QBs in the league (acl, sprained ac joint). He’s also more expensive than our current qb. But whatever, keep throwing the narrative that we gave him away for nothing.

Gronk, go buy a rocking chair for next season. Not happening with the Pats.

Maybe another team is stupid enough to give him what he wants.

Even if he didn't get a new contract, I am not sure that BB would want him next season.

Go Pats

Thanks for the memories Gronk.

No way am i giving this guy a new contract, let him retire.

Well, bye then.

He should be in the WWE this year after he closed out his career with a Super Bowl win. It's a shame.

Florio offers his own conjecture, without any new evidence that he's spoken to anyone or even heard anything second hand. Just click bait.

Any one of us on the board could have written the same tweet.

“When the Super Bowl ended and he was asked about rumors of a possible retirement, his first comment was I don’t know how you heard about that, which implies a lot," he said. "I think if the Patriots had won the Super Bowl he would have retired. And I think after this season, which has been very disappointing for him and it is his second straight year with a significant incentive package that we’re probably close to saying he’s not going to hit any of the four markers which each make him $1.1 million and he can make a maximum of $3.3 million that way. He’s way behind in catches, yards and touchdowns. He needs to participate in 80 percent of the offensive snaps, he would have played in 70 percent of the games if he misses [Sunday], so he has an uphill climb to hit those numbers. Last year he hit all of them.

"I think that will be a factor in his ultimate decision and the fact he had a chance to play somewhere else and didn’t want to, I think there’s a good chance he just walks away after this year
unless the Patriots are willing to rip up the last year of that contract and give him some form of security that is not tied to being healthy and producing on the field.” Yeah, that's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes