PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Gronk may retire if he doesn’t get a new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad topic to get on after a bad loss. I'm going for optimism.

but, if Gronk retires then it will be on his own terms and I appreciated having him on the team. For the record, I think he still plays, but those back issues are adding up and I'm sure they think about being healthy after football.

This team will look totally different next year.

Cap Savings:

Gronk $10M
Hightower $5.375M
McCourty $9.5M
Allen $7.4M

That's over $32M and would give us $57M total. Some of the above could be back but not with their current cap hits.

Florio is a ****-stirrer who mostly just posts conjecture for clicks, so I'm not too worried here.

That said, if this is somehow true we may well be better off just watching him retire than giving him a new contract. No real reason to give him a new deal until/unless he shows he can stay healthy-ish enough to be on the field and performing at something approaching what he thinks he commands re: salary.

I got hammered in another thread for saying his act is getting old, but's let's itemize:

1. Threatening to retire, eliminating any trade value (his heart may no longer be in the game if true).
2. Can't stay on the field.
3. Expects to get paid like he is on the field. *****es he is underpaid when he puts in one healthy season.
3, Pissy press conferences.
4. In the center of the TB12/Guerrero controversy.
5. Negotiates through the media. Already negotiating next year's contract, if you can believe Florio.
6. Undisciplined on the field. Eg. offsides at least once a game (on average).
7. Will have a big cap hit next year.
8. Meathead off the field (I know that's weak, but someone tell him he can't act, hocking weak-ass football radios and Tide pods).

I'm not saying he isn't a world class talent.
Bill may have been right on trying to trade him.

I got hammered in another thread for saying his act is getting old, but's let's itemize:

1. Threatening to retire, eliminating any trade value (his heart may no longer be in the game if true).
2. Can't stay on the field.
3. Expects to get paid like he is on the field. *****es he is underpaid when he puts in one healthy season.
3, Pissy press conferences.
4. In the center of the TB12/Guerrero controversy.
5. Negotiates through the media. Already negotiating next year's contract, if you can believe Florio.
6. Undisciplined on the field. Eg. offsides at least once a game (on average).
7. Will have a big cap hit next year.
8. Meathead off the field (I know that's weak, but someone tell him he can't act, hocking weak-ass football radios and Tide pods).

I'm not saying he isn't a world class talent.
Bill may have been right on trying to trade him.

Bill will make the decision that’s best for the team. Is the player worth the cost? That’s all this boils down to. All the other stuff about his commercials, press conferences, tb12 Guerrero is secondary.

I hope he does retire. TE is too important of a position to a qb like Brady to have an unreliable player at the position. Nevermind the "next guy" at qb, they need to get the current guy at qb the "next guy" at TE cuz Krafty Bob traded the "next guy" at qb for a box of footballs and some pinnies when he committed to the current guy at qb

Am I the only one who sees the irony in complaining about Gronk's durability while pining for Garopollo?

Cap Savings:

Gronk $10M
Hightower $5.375M
McCourty $9.5M
Allen $7.4M

That's over $32M and would give us $57M total. Some of the above could be back but not with their current cap hits.

This. I'm not saying we're going to blow the roster up because we lost a road game. I'm saying we're going to blow the roster up because it makes the most sense with the contracts on this roster.

The good news is that should leave no excuse not to keep Flowers and Trent Brown (not that he made himself look expensive yesterday).

Double edged sword. We were screwed early this season and Gronk was abused as a safety net. Gronk’s also the reason for a lot of big plays in huge games that kept us in it. We weren’t even close to Denver in 2015 without him.

Injuries are an issue. But he adds so much in passing and blocking

To demand a new contract you must stay on the field and perform like the best TE in the league. I feel for Rob, he's not meeting his incentive based on the way he structured it.

I was a big Gronk defender in the offseason. Hard to keep defending him if this is true. Can’t pay a guy who’s not on the field. I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him in the offseason but his value has greatly diminished.

LOVVVVVE GRONK!
However, He’s Injury prone. How dare anyone try to argue otherwise.

New contract for what? How many games a year i can miss and still get paid? Bye bye

Guess the number of JAG tight ends Bill invites to Gillette next summer for a peek and a prod?
I'm confident the number will be 37.

Florio is the proverbial broken clock.

As for contracts, teams don't give more money for less playing time. I hope these issues that seem to be slowing him done are non-major. You just have to wonder when his injury history finally does him in as a player if they are more involved.

Love seeing him healthy on the field, and hope he does that again. This season has just felt off for him, and it isn't clear why that is.

IMHO, Hightower and McCourty are well worth their contracts and sew money. Allen would need to reduce the contract again to stay (which I would think he would). Gronk will retire.

Cap Savings:

Gronk $10M
Hightower $5.375M
McCourty $9.5M
Allen $7.4M

Gronk is hurt. Have you tried running a slant with a bad back. When he comes back and plays well you haters we start asking for a contract extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents