PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Gronk may retire if he doesn’t get a new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine with me

I love Gronk, but he looked slow when he played, and that's been infrequent. I'll miss his what he used to bring to the team

Not sure what "infrequent" means, but Gronk has been active for 70% of the Pats games this season and averaged 91% of the offensive snaps when he's played. He's played 3 of his seven games with an ankle injury, and one with the ankle issue plus the more recent "back" issue that has kept him out of three of the last four games. So, those issues could be why he "looks" slow to you.

Meanwhile, in spite of playing in only 7 games (same number as Gordon), Gronk is still 3rd on the team in receiving yards (only 29 behind Gordon), and has caught 67% of the passes thrown his way - a couple ticks above his career average and way better than Gordon at 53%.

Also:
2017 YPC = 15.7
2018 YPC = 15.4

2017 yds/game = 77
2018 yds/game = 64

If Gronk has "slowed down", apparently defenses have, too.

He's a legend, but honestly he can't stay on the field. Hard to justify giving him the contract he's looking for when you know he's going to miss 2+ games a year at a minimum, and is one bad hit away from IR.

The only way gronk is going to be paid at the top end of the TE market here is if it's all incentive based for a 16 game season, and he's got that now and he doesn't like it.

The bigger question is, what has a higher probability of happening. Gronk going to IR, or Josh Gordon Relapsing?!
That is the literal “million dollar question”

Agree. I'm certain they did. Rosenhaus knows what he is doing. He wanted one more payday.

Its clear to me the $3m in incentives was a bone thrown in Gronk's direction in lieu of a contract extension.

I think the Pats were reluctant to extend any of the "old guys" (Brady, Gronk, DMac) at the beginning of this season with two years left on their contracts. Next season, a 1-year extension for each makes more sense, because the Pats will have more financial leverage.

Gronk, for instance, has no more guaranteed money. He could be cut at any time before week-1 in 2019 and the Pats will incur only $2M in dead money (the final pro-rata on his previous signing bonus), money that Gronk has already received.

So, it's a question of how much the Pat are willing to risk in new guaranteed money derived from converting some of Gronk's $9M salary in 2019 to signing bonus versus how much Gronnk would want in new guaranteed money to accept a 1-year extension that reduces his 2019 cap hit by amortizing that bonus over two seasons.

The thing is, if Gronk is on the roster for week-1 in 2019, the $9M becomes fully-guaranteed - but only the $9M. So, that would be the baseline. New guaranteed money in an extended contract would probably need to exceed $9M.

I hope he does retire. TE is too important of a position to a qb like Brady to have an unreliable player at the position. Nevermind the "next guy" at qb, they need to get the current guy at qb the "next guy" at TE cuz Krafty Bob traded the "next guy" at qb for a box of footballs and some pinnies when he committed to the current guy at qb

Whatever happens to Gronk I hope he doesn't resort to wearing his girlfriend's work out pants to the gym. :D

In the biggest game this year, we got to see Kelse, who got chipped at the line and Gronk, who got plastered by two to four people every play. Wasn't much doubt in my mind which one is great.

I hope he does retire. TE is too important of a position to a qb like Brady to have an unreliable player at the position. Nevermind the "next guy" at qb, they need to get the current guy at qb the "next guy" at TE cuz Krafty Bob traded the "next guy" at qb for a box of footballs and some pinnies when he committed to the current guy at qb

Yeah, we've had so many great tight ends recently, I'm sure Allen and whats his name can pick up the slack.

I'm irrational when it comes to two Patriots, Gronk and Brady. If I were the GM those two would wear a flying Elvis as long as they wanted to.

Is Gronk a hall of famer? First ballot?? He doesn't have the longevity.

He's still looking pretty good in NO (no knock on Gronk, whom I love. I just wish he could get and stay healthy).
If you let 180 lb cornerbacks rip the ball from you in the end zone, you're likely to stay healthy.

First Things First, He's here now and wanted to be here for TB Only. Have to take in account that no one is more disappointed dealing with his injuries and lack of productivity then him. I'm taking a 'Lets Wait & See Approach' before casting judgement. Like so many times with this team when they're counted out, that's when they pull a 360 and come through.

I'm not sayin Gronk comes back vs jets* and goes 8 for a buck fifty with 2 RZ TDs but him just being out with our O running on all cylinders makes it scary and most important O Line left side. Tb Upright makes everything Alright.

The games played, snap % #s work Gronkowski are missing. He has several games a year with "managed" snaps and doesn't run certain routes (like the effective seam route that's been missing this season). Time to cut bait and get someone who plays 16/16...

The games played, snap % #s work Gronkowski are missing. He has several games a year with "managed" snaps and doesn't run certain routes (like the effective seam route that's been missing this season). Time to cut bait and get someone who plays 16/16...

WHO?

The bigger question is, what has a higher probability of happening. Gronk going to IR, or Josh Gordon Relapsing?!
That is the literal “million dollar question”
Enough of this "relapse" BS. This puerile negativity belongs on the Jetes MB ( and similar forums).

Enough of this "relapse" BS. This puerile negativity belongs on the Jetes MB ( and similar forums).
I think it’s a very valid concern. The guy has screwed up multiple times and already may or may not have had a minor screwup here.

No question that so far 2018 Gronk is not the Gronk we know, but simplistic ludicrous statements "get someone who plays 16/16" are ridiculous. There are very few players who even approach what Gronk can do. And those who approach are deficient in the key area of blocking. Moreover, they are not readily obtainable, especially when your draft pick is always at the very bottom.

tenor.gif

Every year this guy cries about money, *****es about one thing or another. While I love the talent, and the knucklehead persona, STFU about money already. The Patriots aren't gonna pay him, so...

I don’t see it in the cards here for another year. He might get cut or traded or retire. I hate to say it but there’s almost no way he gets a new and better deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News