PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flashback: when the Pats danced on the Chargers logo and made Tomlinson cry about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the dancing brought on by Wade Philips making a comment after the 2005 regular season blowout win against the Pats? As well, him or Schottenheimer make a comment which Brady responded with something along the lines of "mind your own business"

**** San Diego....I mean **** LA!

Can't really say its revenge when the logo is now in a different City! :rolleyes:

I never thought they should be getting themselves involved in other teams' little trash-games. The win by itself, especially when in the playoffs, should be more than enough revenge. It was almost as though the Pats won the super bowl that day. And you know that historically happens when teams act like they've won the super bowl before they actually get there? We know all too well what happened after this win. So while the Chargers never got one due to their attitude problems and still don't have one to this day, they did kinda drag us down to their level that day and we went through 08 & 09 and worked hard for 5 more years before getting another one.

Let the trash talk motivate you, but don't take a dive into it and indulge in it yourself....

I could be wrong but I think the Pats did start it. I don’t know if it was Reche Caldwell who started it but I know he was involved and was a former Charger. To be fair Merriman’s “Lights Out” dance was stupid.

Wrong.
Chargers, especially merriman, were talking a ton of trash before the game.
Pats,as usual,never said a word- until AFTER the game,which is the right way to do it.
I loved it.

On top of that, I think the Pats were still peeved at the Chargers running their mouths when they beat the Pats in the 2005 regular season game -- I think the dynasty being over comments stemmed from that postgame, not specifically prior to the 2006 game.
Oct. 2, 2005: Chargers 41, Patriots 17

I've read in several places that Rivers has never beat Brady. Brees must've started this game.

Wasn't the dancing brought on by Wade Philips making a comment after the 2005 regular season blowout win against the Pats? As well, him or Schottenheimer make a comment which Brady responded with something along the lines of "mind your own business"

I remember that thing and in defense of Schotsie he said absolutely nothing provoking or arrogant. He was asked if he was surprised his team curb stomped the Pats and he said something like, 'Tom missed on some throws he normally makes and their defense probably isn't where they want it to be with Bruschi out, etc. I know Bill will have them back playing to the level they are accustomed to but we played real well today.'.

Then Tom went on his, 'Go worry about your own team.' rant which seemed contrived but whatever

I never thought they should be getting themselves involved in other teams' little trash-games. The win by itself, especially when in the playoffs, should be more than enough revenge. It was almost as though the Pats won the super bowl that day. And you know that historically happens when teams act like they've won the super bowl before they actually get there? We know all too well what happened after this win. So while the Chargers never got one due to their attitude problems and still don't have one to this day, they did kinda drag us down to their level that day and we went through 08 & 09 and worked hard for 5 more years before getting another one.

Let the trash talk motivate you, but don't take a dive into it and indulge in it yourself....

The Patriots came out against the Colts like a ball of fire and dominated. If it weren't for 3 of the most egregious calls you'll ever see from idiot refs, Patriots go on to win the SB with that attitude.

I mean, Troy Brown's OPI was one of the worst calls ever, and the Patriots were about to put that game away. Never mind the nonsense DPI on Ellis Hobbs who didn't make any contact with the WR at all, or the ridiculous no PI call on Reche Caldwell in he end zone.

I've read in several places that Rivers has never beat Brady. Brees must've started this game.
He did. That was his last year in SD. They finished 9-7 iirc.

The Patriots came out against the Colts like a ball of fire and dominated. If it weren't for 3 of the most egregious calls you'll ever see from idiot refs, Patriots go on to win the SB with that attitude.

I mean, Troy Brown's OPI was one of the worst calls ever, and the Patriots were about to put that game away. Never mind the nonsense DPI on Ellis Hobbs who didn't make any contact with the WR at all, or the ridiculous no PI call on Reche Caldwell in he end zone.
I'm not even going to entertain the idea of blaming the refs for losing... I don't believe in making excuses.

I was just reading a Pats thread on the Chargers forum and half of the posters mentioned the disrespectful Patriots trashing their logo and called the game a redemption tour. We should have Wilfork and Colvin on the sidelines as an honorary team captains.
Troy Brown coming out for the coin toss and doing the Lights Out dance like he did in that video ... that would be pretty epic.

But Hobbs was “face guarding,” remember? That’s what the ref said. Clearly he deserved to be penalized for that.

Even though that wasn’t and isn’t to this day a penalty in the NFL.

And also our last road playoff win.
Amazingly they’ve only had 3 road games since then. 2 in Denver where they were the walking wounded both years (and still were a 2 point conversion away from tying in 2015), and then the aforementioned hose job / collapse against the Colts. Wonder if Reche Caldwell is out of prison yet?

Last edited:
I'm not even going to entertain the idea of blaming the refs for losing... I don't believe in making excuses.

The point remains. The Patriots did not come out flat. They came out like a ball of fire. They dominated. And were it not for those calls, the attitude they took from the Chargers game was exactly the right one to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes