PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flashback: 2003 AFC Championship Game

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score

Law was a freaking monster. So was Eugene Wilson hitting anyone in a white jersey like a truck. Absolutely levelled Stokley and then shortly after Reggie Wayne at 14:00. So *that’s* what it’s like to hit on your second round defensive back selection In the draft.

I’d love to see the league allow defense like this again.

THIS was a defense that deserved a nickname like Boogeymen not the pretenders last year.

Loved how the refs ignored a delay of game on Fivehead who had 2 extra seconds to throw after the clock went to 0. Thankfully a Law pick didn’t allow them to score.

Bring the natural turf back!

Pats offense had a tough time in the red zone. Forgot how Brady was that close to a fumble at the end. AV was money of course. Loved A. Smith when he was here.

Last edited:
2003 and 2004 were my 2 favorite pats teams. The way they beat teams down into submission was a thing of beauty. Those front sevens were stacked and in 2003 secondary as well stacked. Wasnt always graceful but they just wore teams out physically and mentally before going for the kill.

Dynasty v2 was built from the back end inwards with dominant dbs and a complimentary front 7, perhaps out of necessity with the league morphing into a passing game. And Brady the goat version was needed much more than the 01-04 Brady., Some great teams there as well but I personally preferred the punch you in the mouth version.

League is changing now as well with the emergence of the mobile qb. Many of the elite qbs are mobile - mahomes, lamar, Watson, Wilson, rodgers,etc. Looking forward to seeing how dynasty v3 is constructed:)

2003 and 2004 were my 2 favorite pats teams. The way they beat teams down into submission was a thing of beauty. Those front sevens were stacked and in 2003 secondary as well stacked. Wasnt always graceful but they just wore teams out physically and mentally before going for the kill.

Dynasty v2 was built from the back end inwards with dominant dbs and a complimentary front 7, perhaps out of necessity with the league morphing into a passing game. And Brady the goat version was needed much more than the 01-04 Brady., Some great teams there as well but I personally preferred the punch you in the mouth version.

League is changing now as well with the emergence of the mobile qb. Many of the elite qbs are mobile - mahomes, lamar, Watson, Wilson, rodgers,etc. Looking forward to seeing how dynasty v3 is constructed:)
Agreed. Willie Mac will always be my favorite Patriot but I loved Ted Washington. Too bad we only had him for one year but his replacement the following year was great also. Unfortunately my advancing age prohibits recollection of his name.

You forget some of the guys like Larry Centers, Jarvis Green, Deidrick Ward and others who played such big roles. None bigger than Ted Washington that one year. He was an absolute monster and should have been first team all pro. As good as VW was over the course of his career, a career overall better than TW, I don't think VW ever had a year this dominant.

This is the game (and season) that prompted Bill Polian and the comp Committee to change pass defense rules and enforcement

I was there. Beautiful huge snowflakes during the tailgate...Dems were da days....

Ty Law, one of my all time favorite Patriots!

BB throws a block on Marvin Harrison at 4:55. I think this went unnoticed by everyone until 2010 when Mike Westhoff brought it up as a defense for why a Jets staffer shouldn't be disciplined for taking out the knees of a Dolphin during a punt return.

BB throws a block on Marvin Harrison at 4:55. I think this went unnoticed by everyone until 2010 when Mike Westhoff brought it up as a defense for why a Jets staffer shouldn't be disciplined for taking out the knees of a Dolphin during a punt return.
Just watched that moment...You're right! I don't think I ever noticed it before...that is hilarious!

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back