PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Flashback: 2003 AFC Championship Game

Feckin Tyrone Poole slipped right as the ball was coming...Not really a good FA signing overall here...Neither reliable nor tough...Fortunately Samuel & Wilson arrived to clean up his mess...Bennett would've likely gathered it in if they hadn't...
That play was that close to being a preview of David Tyree and with the same consequences. The tying FG from there was a chip shot and the Titans also had a timeout and probably 2 or 3 shots at the end zone.

Man 2003, back in the days when defenses could paly defense.

I mean, let's put it this way, in 2003 they had at least 5 home games in which they didn't allow a TD.

Three were shut outs (vs Buffalo, vs Dallas, vs Miami)

And two others where it was just field goals (vs Cleveland, vs Jaguars)

I mean, that's CRAZY to think about in today's game (even when we're coming off a shutoff win)

We just had Manning’s number at that point. He used to tap his feet on every drop back because that was the way he’d time his throws in his head. Their offense was a timing offense. But his footwork was noticeably more frantic against the Pats in 2003 and 2004. Moreover, he was not content to take what the Pats would give him underneath. Law baited him multiple times with the trail technique. I had also forgot how ugly of a game Fauria had. Two drops in the end zone or else this would have been a more comfortable W.

2003 certainly was a fun year

The goalline stand at Indy
The fabulous 83 yard OT TD at Miami
A 31-0 shutout of Buffalo as payback for the season opener
The tight finish in Houston
Bethel Johnson's kick return TD with seconds left in the first half at Indy
The Bruschi defensive TD in the snow vs Miami
Ty law's clinching pick six against Tennessee

I think Wilson had a couple of picks in the 2004 AFCCG too.

THAT is what happens when you pick a defensive back in the second round and hit.
He was looking like a great pick until 2005 when he fell off a cliff.

Not really a good FA signing overall here
He was an awesome find in '03. It was a lost cause throwing to him and Law on the outside. He unfortunately collapsed (among others) in the Super Bowl and then injuries took over.

Geno wasn't nearly as productive when he didn't have Rodney Harrison next to him as he was when he did...If Bill had to take a DB at #36 in the '03 draft, then he probably should've taken Rashean Mathis, whom I liked ahead of Wilson that year anyway...

Geno wasn't nearly as productive when he didn't have Rodney Harrison next to him as he was when he did...If Bill had to take a DB at #36 in the '03 draft, then he probably should've taken Rashean Mathis, whom I liked ahead of Wilson that year anyway...
I didn't know much about Mathis, but he was a good player.

The night before this game my wife and I (pre kids when we could actually do stuff) went out to dinner at Clyde's BBQ just north of the stadium. The place has a bit of a western theme. As we sit in our booth I noticed there were horseshoes on the wall of our booth. Being the superstitious Pats fan that I am, I kindly asked the hostess for a different table as "sitting under a horseshoe would be bad luck for tomorrow's game".
Love Clydes

Yeah, I'm not sure what is not to like about Tyrone Poole. I mean, you can't have a completely stacked lineup, and he was a starting corner on a historically good defense. I'll take it.

Think of him like JC Jackson this year or Logan Ryan in 2016. History will not remember them as 'big name players' or even no. 1 corners but they were serviceable and got the job done.

2003 certainly was a fun year

The goalline stand at Indy
The fabulous 83 yard OT TD at Miami
A 31-0 shutout of Buffalo as payback for the season opener
The tight finish in Houston
Bethel Johnson's kick return TD with seconds left in the first half at Indy
The Bruschi defensive TD in the snow vs Miami
Ty law's clinching pick six against Tennessee
Or the intentional safety and comeback in Denver.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back