PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fix our DEFENSE: You're the Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with the notion that we don’t have much talent.

Where's the talent at DT?
Where's the talent at LB?
Where's the talent at CB2?

Here is how to "fix" the Patriots defense: change the rules so defense matters again vs. the present abomination unfairly favoring offense.

Dunno...the rules have really helped us out on offense..... I say adjust the rules after Brady retires..

Here is how to "fix" the Patriots defense: change the rules so defense matters again vs. the present abomination unfairly favoring offense.
Actually while it’s gross to observe it actually favors the patriots because they are capable of adapting more than most, or all teams.
That’s why my take is that I feel we are in the midst of a scheme change and experimentation period.
Belichick didn’t watch the “offensive scheme of the future” eat his defense alive in week 1 and week 19 and not begun adapting.
Speed at all 5 eligible positions and a scheme that uses all 5 of them is what he knows he must stop.

The only good defensive player snotnose Bill has drafted in the past few years is Flowers. His drafting stinks.

I don't care how good you coach, you need good players.

I know what to do now.

We will go to Popeyes chicken and recruit some defense backs

The only good defensive player snotnose Bill has drafted in the past few years is Flowers. His drafting stinks.

I don't care how good you coach, you need good players.
Gotta love it when you chime in. Where the hell have you been? You need to be on here more.

I really hate our lack of power right up the gut for a long time now. Someone small like Elandon Roberts from time to time should be able to make a linemen completely whiff on him and make a play, but he constantly engages instead and get buried. Same thing with Butler. I haven't been pleased with not ONE of our defensive tackles. I actually think our ends have been decent, but they can't function when the middle is that weak.

Our defense had the right idea in letting Cyrus cover the running backs last game. The only problem is Cyrus isn't that good and I would let any other corner besides Rowe try it. If we absolutely cannot stop the run, then try going back to a 3-4 defense. It gives better run fits and puts the olb in a position to better stop passes to the flat.

I say take some chances on defense, enough playing conservative bend but don't break... seriously, the defense blows right now...

I'll never understand this logic. Say the team is struggling on defense. why would you take chances and give up lots of long touchdowns? Allowing scores in the mid 20s is pretty average, you want to give up 30 or 40? How many 3 and outs has the offense had? No defense will excel being on the field 80% of the snaps.

Why the **** would you want that?

Unless you are one of them?
I'd think you know if I was troll already. It's just funny seeing his one liners. I'm shocked nobody really responds to him.

I'd think you know if I was troll already. It's just funny seeing his one liners. I'm shocked nobody really responds to him.
TBH is a 1/2 troll.

I think hes Felger.

The way the rules have changed every defense that does well is close to having the dam burst. The rule are stacked against defense.
The SB Champion Eagles 4th ranked, allowed 33 in the Sb and made basically 1 play that saved them from losing.
The #1 Vikings allowed 24 and 38 in the playoffs. #2 Jax allowed 42 and 24, including back to back td drives to lose.

The patriots allowed 14,20 and 41.

The way he rules are every defense eventually gets tooled. Keep in mind the catch rules were changed for the SB to further favor offense.

To say the patriots were a top 5 defense is accurate but they were nowhere close to what a top 5 defense was 10 or 15 years ago. And no defense ever will be again until rules are changed again, if they ever are.
A good defense in 2018 spends a lot of time looking bad.

The rules is definitely a good point.

Too often a game changing sack, big third down stop, or turnover get nullified by a ticky-tack holding or roughing the passer penalty.....extending a drive that otherwise would have been a punt.

Another thing about the 'eye test' is that I think BB employs a defense that differs from what we fans expect a great defense to look like. When we think of the perfect defense, I'm sure we think consistent QB pressure and ball-hawking DBs/Lbs. Well, BB prefers the bend but don't break, keep everything in front of you and eventually the other team will make a crucial drop or something.

Too often a game changing sack, big third down stop, or turnover get nullified by a ticky-tack holding or roughing the passer penalty.....extending a drive that otherwise would have been a punt.

That hasn't been a problem for this team.

Do you guys think there's ever been Boston media on here disguised as posters?

We know there have been. A lot. One [not big time] had 3-4 accounts and we outed him. Is shmessy still here? [thinks not]

switch to a 'big nickel' 3-4

start DL : Guy, Shelton, Butler
start LB : Rivers(outside), Hightower (outside), Roberts (inside), King (inside)
start DB : Gilmore, Jackson, DMcourty, Harmon

or whatever similar that maximizes athleticism......

A 3-4 defense featuring Elandon Roberts. What could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST