PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fix our DEFENSE: You're the Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still in disbelief that the Pats were able to turn around their defensive performance last year.

I think despite their top 5 statistical ranking last year, we all had concerns with 'the eye test'. Is that fair? It shouldn't be, after all, results are results, but there definitely was something to their play that didn't inspire confidence despite their results. It just felt like dam was ready to burst.

In any case, hopefully BB can work his magic again this year and put a descent performance out of this squad. They have looked not just BAD, but AWFUL! Of course, we'll still all be waiting for the dam to burst, but maybe it will hold out long enough for us this year (it almost did last year).

A bad sign is that they look uninspired (other than Wise). Of course, their results haven't been inspiring, so maybe it's a 'chicken or the egg' type thing.

I'm still in disbelief that the Pats were able to turn around their defensive performance last year.

I think despite their top 5 statistical ranking last year, we all had concerns with 'the eye test'. Is that fair? It shouldn't be, after all, results are results, but there definitely was something to their play that didn't inspire confidence despite their results. It just felt like dam was ready to burst.

In any case, hopefully BB can work his magic again this year and put a descent performance out of this squad. They have looked not just BAD, but AWFUL! Of course, we'll still all be waiting for the dam to burst, but maybe it will hold out long enough for us this year (it almost did last year).

Look at how the rankings of the offensive competition trended downward after Week 4 and you'll see why.

The way the rules have changed every defense that does well is close to having the dam burst. The rule are stacked against defense.
The SB Champion Eagles 4th ranked, allowed 33 in the Sb and made basically 1 play that saved them from losing.
The #1 Vikings allowed 24 and 38 in the playoffs. #2 Jax allowed 42 and 24, including back to back td drives to lose.

The patriots allowed 14,20 and 41.

The way he rules are every defense eventually gets tooled. Keep in mind the catch rules were changed for the SB to further favor offense.

To say the patriots were a top 5 defense is accurate but they were nowhere close to what a top 5 defense was 10 or 15 years ago. And no defense ever will be again until rules are changed again, if they ever are.
A good defense in 2018 spends a lot of time looking bad.

I’ve read a lot of different angles here. I disagree with the notion that we don’t have much talent. It’s there. What lacks is inspiration. A team that goes to the afccg almost every years biggest challenge is to remain greedy and inspired. I’ve got no clue how you fix that

We need to play better. We need to coach better. Need better execution. Need to gameplan better. Its a long season. Alway have room for improvement. Need to tackle better. Stop the run. Stop the pass. Limit 3rd down conversions. Tighten up in the red zone. Just gotta keep working hard and improve.
Iknow it was a pre-season game, but where is the pats team that kicked phillys azz? Both offense and defense looked like fine. Although it was a pre-season game i'm sure philly really wanted to win that game to prove the super bowl wasn't a fluke.

What would you change about how we defend. Alignment, personnel, play calls?

• I would change the alignment.
  • I would change the personnel.
  • I would change the play calls.

I’ve read a lot of different angles here. I disagree with the notion that we don’t have much talent. It’s there. What lacks is inspiration. A team that goes to the afccg almost every years biggest challenge is to remain greedy and inspired. I’ve got no clue how you fix that

Where do you see the talent?

Let's look at the D:

Shelton - Browns castaway bum
Malcolm Brown - can't hold up vs. run and can't rush passer.
Flowers - Quality talented player
Davis - Undrafted JAG
Hightower - Slow immobile LB
Van Noy - Lions castaway. Should be nothing more than a limited role player.
Roberts - Avg run defender...nothing else
Gilmore - Quality talented player
Other CB of the day - JAG
Chung - A step slow in coverage, and not big enough to hold up in the box.
Mccourty - Simply overpaid and awful.

Talent?

Comments:

a.) It is impossible to completely stop offenses these days no matter what you do.

b.) Anthony Barr was getting toasted all night last night and he's a fast linebacker (His pre-draft assessment: "Strengths Exceptional take-off speed, acceleration and closing burst.")

c.) Yup, everyone plays in sub packages these days.

d.) If I were the DC, I would focus on individual match ups. We have enough talent in the front 7 to NOT get steamrolled like we did in Detroit. Secondly, I would focus on communication break downs. Basically, get the guys to play better for starters.

e.) Outside of the Jaguars game, our D isn't that bad...we allowed 20 to the Texans and one was a short field touch down following a muffed punt. Against Detroit, we allowed 26....with our offense not even getting a first down until late in the first half. Had our offense picked up 2-3 first downs and punted...no way do the Lions have 13 points a half time. And in Jacksonvile, we gave up 2 TD's in the Red Zone vs. figgies...that could have saved us another 8 points in a 11 point game (the Grant 61 yd TD was the back breaker).

switch to a 'big nickel' 3-4

start DL : Guy, Shelton, Butler
start LB : Rivers(outside), Hightower (outside), Roberts (inside), King (inside)
start DB : Gilmore, Jackson, DMcourty, Harmon

or whatever similar that maximizes athleticism......

The one good thing about this defense is being less worried about injuries than in years past. Aside from Flowers and Gilmore, who else would we be afraid of losing? Everybody else could be replaced by somebody on the street.

Notice he’s all over the place here now but you didn’t hear a word from him prior to the Jags loss? Wonder why that is.
Because he's an ***hole. There, I said it...

back to defense: as a team tackling has been terrible. routine 4 yard gains "grow" into 8 yard gains. I have to believe that is fixable.

Where do you see the talent?

Let's look at the D:

Shelton - Browns castaway bum
Malcolm Brown - can't hold up vs. run and can't rush passer.
Flowers - Quality talented player
Davis - Undrafted JAG
Hightower - Slow immobile LB
Van Noy - Lions castaway. Should be nothing more than a limited role player.
Roberts - Avg run defender...nothing else
Gilmore - Quality talented player
Other CB of the day - JAG
Chung - A step slow in coverage, and not big enough to hold up in the box.
Mccourty - Simply overpaid and awful.

Talent?

On defense we have a whole group of pro football players.

back to defense: as a team tackling has been terrible. routine 4 yard gains "grow" into 8 yard gains. I have to believe that is fixable.

Guys who lack athleticism have a difficult time tackling athletes

Here is how to "fix" the Patriots defense: change the rules so defense matters again vs. the present abomination unfairly favoring offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes