PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First half retrospective

40yrpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let’s look back at the games and opponents so far to better evaluate the 1st half:
  • Lost @ Miami, 20-7: now we know they’re one of the best teams in the AFC, plus we never win in Miami in Sept anyway. We played them tough and it came down to 2 key mistakes: Brown blowing a blocking assignment near our own end zone, and Dugger taking the wrong angle on Waddle on a short pass. Also the refs missed a PI in the end zone to Parker.
  • Won @ Pitt, 17-14: Steelers aren’t that good, but we won the game we needed, on the road. I’ll take that win any time.
  • Lost vs Balt, 37-26: Ravens are one of the best teams in the AFC. This was our best offensive game of the year, Parker was 5 for 168, and we were headed for a probable W with 3 minutes left when Agholor fumbled on the Baltimore 30. Tough loss due to turnovers.
  • Lost @ GB, 27-24: Zappe’s first game. We should’ve won had the coaches been more aggressive in OT, 1st and 10 at the 50. Blame this one on the play-calling, though overall they had a good offensive game plan.
  • Won vs Det, 29-0: We killed a team that’s not too bad, and Zappe played great.
  • Won @ Cle, 38-15: Impressive win won on the road against another team that’s not too bad. Zappe mania.
  • Lost vs Chi, 33-14: Chicago & Fields ran all over Miami the other day just like they did to us, so that loss doesn’t look as bad now. Both our QB’s, and the whole offense (and defense), looked miserable.
  • Won @ Jets, 22-17: The Jets are no joke, top defense, they just beat Buffalo. In hindsight, a GREAT bounce-back road win, Mac showed great discipline.
  • Won vs Indy, 26-3: dominant win against a team with a great D. Did what we had to do.
We’ve won 4 of the past 5, yet the deafening criticism around here and local mediots is incredible.

We now have: Jets at home, @ Minn, Bills at home, @ Ariz, @ LV, Bengals at home, Phins at home, and @ Buf. We’re a tough out, and some of these teams are looking more beatable. We’re gonna win at least 9, maybe 10.

Let’s look back at the games and opponents so far to better evaluate the 1st half:
  • Lost @ Miami, 20-7: now we know they’re one of the best teams in the AFC, plus we never win in Miami in Sept anyway. We played them tough and it came down to 2 key mistakes: Brown blowing a blocking assignment near our own end zone, and Dugger taking the wrong angle on Waddle on a short pass. Also the refs missed a PI in the end zone to Parker.
  • Won @ Pitt, 17-14: Steelers aren’t that good, but we won the game we needed, on the road. I’ll take that win any time.
  • Lost vs Balt, 37-26: Ravens are one of the best teams in the AFC. This was our best offensive game of the year, Parker was 5 for 168, and we were headed for a probable W with 3 minutes left when Agholor fumbled on the Baltimore 30. Tough loss due to turnovers.
  • Lost @ GB, 27-24: Zappe’s first game. We should’ve won had the coaches been more aggressive in OT, 1st and 10 at the 50. Blame this one on the play-calling, though overall they had a good offensive game plan.
  • Won vs Det, 29-0: We killed a team that’s not too bad, and Zappe played great.
  • Won @ Cle, 38-15: Impressive win won on the road against another team that’s not too bad. Zappe mania.
  • Lost vs Chi, 33-14: Chicago & Fields ran all over Miami the other day just like they did to us, so that loss doesn’t look as bad now. Both our QB’s, and the whole offense (and defense), looked miserable.
  • Won @ Jets, 22-17: The Jets are no joke, top defense, they just beat Buffalo. In hindsight, a GREAT bounce-back road win, Mac showed great discipline.
  • Won vs Indy, 26-3: dominant win against a team with a great D. Did what we had to do.
We’ve won 4 of the past 5, yet the deafening criticism around here and local mediots is incredible.

We now have: Jets at home, @ Minn, Bills at home, @ Ariz, @ LV, Bengals at home, Phins at home, and @ Buf. We’re a tough out, and some of these teams are looking more beatable. We’re gonna win at least 9, maybe 10.
Before I make Bold predictions I would first make sure Mac Jones look closer to last year: he's still missing on a milk carton. Also in the second half we ain't playing anymore QB's like Sam Ehlinger it gets tougher. The teams we are playing going forward have a little more stability at QB no easy games.

Very good breakdown, cant really put it any better than you did. That packers loss really stings , they may be the worst team weve played. While the Baltimore loss hurts since it was pretty much because of turnovers thats just w/e for me . We were playing a great offense and panicking to keep up. But really blew the one in gb…. 6-3 wouvldve been nice right now and wed be in a very solid position. But hopefully we pull one out of our arse down the stretch to cancel that one out and pull off a playoff berth.

I love the defense, the only thing I wish was firing on all cylinders is the running game. Once our OL starts consistently creating holes and we can run it down the opponents' throats is when I will see this team as a possible threat in the playoffs. Right now we see glimpses of it, but it is too inconsistent. I have been putting a lot of faith in this bye week to fix this problem, I hope next Sunday we see the improvement we need. Once the running game is up to speed that will open up the passing game and we can see Mac settle down a bit more. I love the direction this team is heading. Let's finish strong this year.

The deafening criticism is there because, with the GOAT at head coach, we will always be good enough to beat the bottom dwellers in the NFL. But the offense as it stands right now isn't good enough to hang with the better teams. It's not all doom and gloom, but it isn't sunshine and lollipops either.

Last edited:
Chicago and GB are games they should’ve won. At least Chicago wasn’t flukey and is scoring around the same amount of points as they did on MNF.

You can make a case there’s a lot of winnable games on their schedule, but I could also see them losing many of those games. Games that worry me are at Minnesota, at Arizona and at LV due to the curse of the former player/former coach Bill seems to struggle against. Then you have the Bills and Dolphins who own the Pats since Brady left.

Chicago and GB are games they should’ve won. At least Chicago wasn’t flukey and is scoring around the same amount of points as they did on MNF.

You can make a case there’s a lot of winnable games on their schedule, but I could also see them losing many of those games. Games that worry me are at Minnesota, at Arizona and at LV due to the curse of the former player/former coach Bill seems to struggle against. Then you have the Bills and Dolphins who own the Pats since Brady left.
I hate that we're in the desert back to back and Skippy will be up for it. I remember when he beat us with that Denver Team.:mad: Also don't sleep on Burrow and Cincinnati he can light it up. That said the Jets will be looking for revenge in the next game again no easy games.

Remember when just being in playoff contention was exciting? I love this thread. The OP is how I used to act as a kid when thinking about the team in determining if we would make the playoffs, the only thing missing is the mental gymnastics of looking at all the teams' schedules to see how tough their schedules were and (sheepishly admitting) hoping for opposing players injuries.

I hate that we're in the desert back to back and Skippy will be up for it. I remember when he beat us with that Denver Team.:mad: Also don't sleep on Burrow and Cincinnati he can light it up. That said the Jets will be looking for revenge in the next game again no easy games.
That 2009 Denver team was trash and the Pats had business losing to them which spawned the birth of the fist pumping McDaniels acting like he just won the Super Bowl.

Bengals are Jekyll and Hyde. If the O-line holds up, the other could be in for a rough day.

That 2009 Denver team was trash and the Pats had business losing to them which spawned the birth of the fist pumping McDaniels acting like he just won the Super Bowl.

Bengals are Jekyll and Hyde. If the O-line holds up, the other could be in for a rough day.
Bengals O-line vs. our defense = Patriots advantage. Our defense is for real.

Remember when just being in playoff contention was exciting? I love this thread. The OP is how I used to act as a kid when thinking about the team in determining if we would make the playoffs, the only thing missing is the mental gymnastics of looking at other the teams' schedules to see how tough their schedule was and (sheepishly admitting) hoping for opposing players injuries.
I agree. The days of being the best team in the AFC and a being guaranteed in AFCCG was getting a little boring. It’s nice to come back down to earth again and be an underdog or unpredictable again. I started watching as a teenager during the late Parcells/Carroll years and those teams were fun to watch not knowing how good they were and if they could beat the Broncos/make it out of the AFC.

To stay on the first half outlook. It ultimately would have, and could have been a disaster.
Mac struggles in early games, then is hurt and out for 3 (really 4) games. Our offense was sputtering, and our D was congealing.
But we got to the bye at 5-4. So, we should have been 6-3 (GB), and could have even been 7-2 (BAL/CHI), but considering this could have been a lot worse. But the team is rallying together, the defense is getting it's confidence (even while overvaluing some wins against terrible teams)
Best reason for the bye - Mac gets a chance to recalibrate and get his head right. If he returns to what he was last year, we have a chance to finish with a winning record and maybe get a wildcard spot.

Pre-season I knew that the defense would need to carry the team until the offense got their **** together. Not only has the offense not gotten it together, they have been an impediment to the defense winning the game due to turnovers. I expected the Pats to be a game or two better before a difficult second half schedule. The schedule ended up being more difficult than I expected with the Jets, Dolphins, and VIkings all better than I expected.

The defense will continue to carry this team in the second half. I think the offense will end up figuring it out this season, however, if they don't figure it out by the Vikings game then no playoffs for this team.

GREAT POST

My biggest fear is that Mac reads this message board and sees all the anti Mac rhetoric.

The deafening criticism is there because, with the GOAT at head coach, we will always be good enough to beat the bottom dwellers in the NFL. But the offense as it stands right now isn't good enough to hang with the better teams. It's not all doom and gloom, but it isn't sunshine and lollipops either.
No of course the offense needs to improve, but we have weapons and depth at WR and RB that we haven't had in years. It boils down to whether they can stabilize the OL. Assuming Andrews, Parker and Damien are back next week, can the OL block like they have in the past? This bye couldn't come at a better time. I'd like to see Montgomery return too, he's a very good 3rd down back.

I don't know how that Baltimore game was a "probable win" if Agholor didn't fumble. We didn't really stop Lamar the entire game. We will hold a coaching advantage in every game we play in thanks to Bill but we also have arguably the worst offense in the league with Mac and Patricia. We are beating the bad teams outside of Chicago and that is pretty much all due to being better coached. When we play good teams with good players we lose.

The offense sucks. It's on cam newton level... Your best offensive player is your kicker and the offense needs a turnover to get in scoring range

I have confidence in wins over the Jets, Cincy and Miami.

All the others I can easily see as losses.

Bills and Minnesota are the hardest 2 left.

9 wins.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back