PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finally someone in the media is starting to ask if Manning is declining

A List-----Rodgers.......about to lap the field
B List-----Manning, Brady....always in charge but warts occasionally appear
C List------Brees, Big Ben, Luck, Wilson......Team deficiencies/inconsitancies more than QB talent get them C list for now (Pitt's offense is becoming special though)
D List-----Ryan, Rivers, Romo.......solid vets that could never mentally process the game on a Manning/Brady level

I posted many times during the heat of the Brady decline garbage how I felt it was absolutely crazy that people were talking about his demise with nothing tangible to back it up, while Manning's decline has been on full display for two seasons now. He is so obviously not the same QB and he and the whole Denver squad is scared to come to Foxboro come January. That's why NE needs to close out these last three games with W's. It's mission critical that they force teams, especially Manning and his noodle arm, to come to Foxboro when it's windy and nasty.

Sorry to the haters but Tom Brady is the G.O.A.T.

Yes, sometimes the Pats OL is defeated by the opponent's DL and allows pressure, hits, even sacks. Yes, at times Brady throws a bad ball or makes a mistake in judgment.

Is there any evidence that any of this is outside the norm for pro football teams?

One of the most irritating types of posts is the observation that other teams do things successfully against the Pats, followed by the assertion that therefore the Pats are somehow inferior, broken, and/or owe the fans something better.

Last edited:
I don't see how this criticism of the o-line is untrue. Granted we've played against a TON of GREAT D-lines and pass rushers this year, but the pass protection is maddeningly inconsistent. I fear every time we run a play equivalent to a 5 to 7 step drop. We play small ball and play-action to mask this deficiency, but make no mistake, this is an issue that could cost us a SB again.

I would agree. The o-line is always the concern with this team. Give Brady time and ensure that he is comfortable in the pocket and the Pats roll. However, for some reason he seems to be moving around more - that might be another thing the coaching staff is having him do to mitigate the line's weaknesses.

This team does need a legit deep threat. SD crowded the middle of the field last night b/c they knew the Pats did not have the ability to burn them over the top.

Well, I think that was more of a product of the O-line playing like crap. You can't throw it deep when you have guys running free in the backfield (*cough*NateSolder*cough*).

About Manning, i found this amusing post in Walter Football's Power Ranking. here it is:

Denver Broncos (10-3) - Previously: #3 - No one wants to say anything negative about Peyton Manning. Seriously, no one. The following exchange actually took place on GameDay Final on NFL Network:

Michael Irvin: No one wants to talk about what's going on with Peyton, and I... don't want to say anything about that.

Host: You can say whatever you want!

Michael Irvin: No, that's OK.

Crazy. People are actually terrified of offending Prince Peyton. I don't get it. What's he going to do, ban analysts from co-starring in all of his cool commercials? Use telekinesis to make them jump off a building? I don't get it.

Here's what no one on ESPN or NFL Network will say: Manning has sucked the past two weeks. He went 4-of-14 for 43 yards in the second half versus Kansas City, and then tossed two picks that were ugly ducks against the Bills. The Broncos still should have covered, but ugh...

The full link, just in case http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php

Not only are they afraid to say anything negative about Manning, the media will spin it how great Manning is to disregard his own stats and personal glory to become a running team to help make this team a stronger Super Bowl contender. As he is being a great guy to let others have the glory when it is clearly his team.

Someone from CBS Sports looks to be primed to look for a new career because he is now questioning Heir Manning:

Denver (10-3) at San Diego (8-5), 4:05 p.m. ET (CBS): If you've been watching the Broncos for the past two weeks, you may have noticed that it's hard to tell which Manning brother is their quarterback. On some throws recently, it looks like Eli's playing for the Broncos. On other throws, I could've sworn it was Cooper. In each of the Denver's past two games, Manning has thrown for under 200 yards, something he hasn't done in consecutive games where he plays all four quarters since 2001. Something about Manning has seemed slightly off the past two weeks. Should the Broncos be concerned? I'm not sure, but I'm concerned enough not to pick them. Chargers 31-28 over Broncos.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ks-chargers-over-broncos-cowboys-upset-eagles

I don't see how this criticism of the o-line is untrue. Granted we've played against a TON of GREAT D-lines and pass rushers this year, but the pass protection is maddeningly inconsistent. I fear every time we run a play equivalent to a 5 to 7 step drop. We play small ball and play-action to mask this deficiency, but make no mistake, this is an issue that could cost us a SB again.
And yet, they're on pace to give up 22 sacks for the year, barely half of what they gave up last year, the best performance since 2009 and the third best performance during Brady's tenure.

The truer measure of an OL's pass protection is the # of hits taken/pass attempt.

I couldn't care less if Manning is declining or not. All I care is whether the Denver Broncos are declining. If handing the ball off more is helping them win more, I hope they do the opposite.

And yet, they're on pace to give up 22 sacks for the year, barely half of what they gave up last year, the best performance since 2009 and the third best performance during Brady's tenure.

Yup, the amazing thing is the NE Pats could be playing much better! The talent and play of dlines across the league is up this year, but I'm not so much a homer that I can't detect a worrisome trend. Same with Brady's recent INT decisions. Good thing is, we're playing for home cooking in January.

Not only are they afraid to say anything negative about Manning, the media will spin it how great Manning is to disregard his own stats and personal glory to become a running team to help make this team a stronger Super Bowl contender. As he is being a great guy to let others have the glory when it is clearly his team.
No one spins the media like Manning and his family. They control everything that is said about them out there. Have people like Mort in their pocket. Its this more than anything about his play or anything which bothers me the most.

I couldn't care less if Manning is declining or not. All I care is whether the Denver Broncos are declining. If handing the ball off more is helping them win more, I hope they do the opposite.

Their run offense didn't play well this past week other than one big running play for 47 yards. The previous two weeks, they faced bad run defenses (ironically, a month ago both were very good run defenses that all of the sudden became two of the worst run defenses over the last month). I am not sure the Broncos can win in the playoffs the way they have won the previous three weeks. In fact, I am not sure they can win both of the next two games playing offense the way they have the last two weeks.

About Manning, i found this amusing post in Walter Football's Power Ranking. here it is:

Denver Broncos (10-3) - Previously: #3 - No one wants to say anything negative about Peyton Manning. Seriously, no one. The following exchange actually took place on GameDay Final on NFL Network:

Michael Irvin: No one wants to talk about what's going on with Peyton, and I... don't want to say anything about that.

Host: You can say whatever you want!

Michael Irvin: No, that's OK.

Crazy. People are actually terrified of offending Prince Peyton. I don't get it. What's he going to do, ban analysts from co-starring in all of his cool commercials? Use telekinesis to make them jump off a building? I don't get it.

Here's what no one on ESPN or NFL Network will say: Manning has sucked the past two weeks. He went 4-of-14 for 43 yards in the second half versus Kansas City, and then tossed two picks that were ugly ducks against the Bills. The Broncos still should have covered, but ugh...

The full link, just in case http://walterfootball.com/nflpowerrankings.php
http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap3000000440541/Week-14-Bills-vs-Broncos-highlights
around the 1:23 mark the Irvin conversation

All i can say is that im gonna be the biggest Chargers fan this week! F Satan Manning.

The truer measure of an OL's pass protection is the # of hits taken/pass attempt.

So that in mind, here's a list of QB hits + sacks (the Pats are 11th in terms of QB hits + sacks); the last column is on a per-attempt basis; Brady is hit/sacked on 11% of his dropbacks, which is 9th in the league (Manning and the Broncos rank 2nd with hits on only 7% of pass attempts. Pretty remarkable for such an immobile QB).

EDIT: sorry for the terrible formatting, anyone know how to get this tabbed?

RankTeamSks AllwdQB HitsTotal PressuresATTPressure/Attempt
1OAK1022325030.063618
2DEN1025355020.069721
3BLT923324390.072893
4PHI1531465070.09073
5CIN1526414160.098558
6PIT2131525130.101365
7NO1144555380.10223
8DAL1725423900.107692
9NE1343565060.110672
10NYG1837554880.112705
11ATL1647635080.124016
12CLV1542574360.130734
13CAR2538634580.137555
14HST1241533820.138743
15IND2060805480.145985
16SD2243654450.146067
17SL2340634070.154791
18CHI3048785030.15507
19GB2545704310.162413
20SF2939684180.162679
21SEA2140613730.163539
22ARZ1758754530.165563
23TEN2643694120.167476
24BUF2754814800.16875
25MIA3052824620.177489
26DET3257894960.179435
27KC2944733890.187661
28WAS3156874490.193764
29JAX3659954580.207424
30NYJ3156874160.209135
31TB3168994540.218062
32MIN3762994250.232941

Manning's decline has been on full display for two seasons now.
2014 MVP
Record scoring offense
AFC Champs
...................................................some display

2014 MVP
Record scoring offense
AFC Champs
...................................................some display
You can have your numbers. What happened when he played in Foxboro in the windy conditions? What about the many people who actually watch film who have been saying, even last season, that the velocity on his passes has clearly dropped off. You probably think he's the G.O.A.T. too because of his video game numbers year after year. After everything you listed, he still has just one ring and they didn't win it all last season. Some people man, I swear, live and die by statistics. Good day, sir.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back