PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Finally someone in the media is starting to ask if Manning is declining

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, Manning has played worse over the last five or six games (especially the last two week) than Brady did in the first month of the season. Yet people were questioning whether Brady was declining due to age while the media has been praising the Broncos for finding balance and Manning for allowing the the running game to develop to make them a championship caliber offense.

Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post is now questioning if Father Time is catching up to Manning:

What allowed you to envision life after Manning was a wobbly first-half interception on a throw that cut a beautiful arc toward a blue December sky, then began to sputter, flutter and run out of oomph a yard short of intended target Emmanuel Sanders. The pass was dead on arrival in the hands of Buffalo cornerback Corey Graham.

Here's the deal about being 38 years old. Greatness still resides within Manning. No doubt. It's just tougher for him to summon that greatness on a regular basis. For Manning, whose career passer rating is a stellar 97.8, here are his marks during his most recent six games: 80.9, 111.9, 75.3, 135.4, 85.3, 56.9. Genius gone perfectly inconsistent.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_27089588/father-time-bearing-down-broncos-peyton-manning

I still maintain that the Broncos didn't have this new emphasis on the running game because they want balance, but they know they cannot rely on Manning to carry the team game in and game out. I think teams will figure out they can start to load up and stop the run and Manning's short passing and allowing him to throw deep. I think the Broncos could be in trouble if they have to rely on Manning to air it out.

i head the same comment on nfl radio this morning. mannings not playing well in general

Ok, Manning has played worse over the last five or six games (especially the last two week) than Brady did in the first month of the season. Yet people were questioning whether Brady was declining due to age while the media has been praising the Broncos for finding balance and Manning for allowing the the running game to develop to make them a championship caliber offense.

Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post is now questioning if Father Time is catching up to Manning:

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_27089588/father-time-bearing-down-broncos-peyton-manning

I still maintain that the Broncos didn't have this new emphasis on the running game because they want balance, but they know they cannot rely on Manning to carry the team game in and game out. I think teams will figure out they can start to load up and stop the run and Manning's short passing and allowing him to throw deep. I think the Broncos could be in trouble if they have to rely on Manning to air it out.

Didn't watch the game; so were the 3 running TDs all from in-close Red Zone; or were they break-away runs? [Note; answered my question from game play-log: 6yds, 1yd, 3 yds] If they actually did run all 3 in intentionally that would give a key indication that not only do the Denver coaches know that PM is done; but PM KNOWS IT TOO.

He has gotten an ungodly high percentage of his TDs from 5 yards or less goal to go. I suspect he audibled out of runs a whole lot back in Indy and early on in Denver.

so not sure he feels so confident about doing that anymore or coaches have told him straight up not to. But that is of course 100% opinion/speculation with no basis in facts to back it up.

In any event; at least I got a good helping of schadenfreude when his consecutive games with TD streak ended. ;)

I still think he can throw a better deep ball than Brady can (and to better receivers).

Nah! I don't think he can. I think he just has better down the field threats who can get open and adjust to the ball. Granted the fact that his passes float so much allow them to adjust. Give Brady Demariyus Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders and I think he would be a better deep ball passer. Brady is certainly better from 10-20 yards than Manning right now.

Elway has quite the decision to make at the end of the season...he can cut Manning and have the money to keep the Thomas's, Knighton & Marshall or he can keep an old, noodle armed Manning for another year and lose a couple of big starters.

To me it's a no brainer, you take multiple talent over the aging QB but does Elway have the stones to do it?

BTW, I am sure Broncos fans will rebuff this and say "Look at Brady. He played like crap in September". But that was because the Pats had major issues with the o-line and he was still getting to know guys like LaFell and Tim Wright. I know Julius Thomas is out, but the rest of the Broncos offense is fine.

Elway has quite the decision to make at the end of the season...he can cut Manning and have the money to keep the Thomas's, Knighton & Marshall or he can keep an old, noodle armed Manning for another year and lose a couple of big starters.

To me it's a no brainer, you take multiple talent over the aging QB but does Elway have the stones to do it?

Well, if the way they have been playing the last two weeks is how they are going to play going forward, they can pretty much get any competent QB to run their offense.

Granted, I think their running game is working well right now because defenses are afraid of Manning. I think if Manning continues to play poorly, teams will respect the run more. In fact, the Bills started to do just that in the second half in the last game and shut down their offense after the opening drive in the second half.

Of course Manning is declining he has been noticeably the last two years. It goes without saying. Denver is obviously trying to evolve to more running and defense. Gee, sound familiar????
Last night because a few crybaby footy pajama types, I got banned from the in game thread because I posted the observation how Bradys play has fallen off on the road, and I think it is because he is starting to show his age. I made the comment based on uncharacteristic absolute horrible throws in KC, Miami, Indy, SD. He still better than 90% of the QBs out there. I was just trying to say if there are any signs that he age is catching up to him it shows up on the road.

Last edited:
Of course Manning is declining he has been noticeably the last two years. It goes without saying. Denver is obviously trying to evolve to more running and defense. Gee, sound familiar????
Last night because a few crybaby footy pajama types I banned from the in game thread because I posted the observation how Bradys play has fallen off on the road and I think it is because he is starting to show his age. I made the comment based on uncharacteristic absolute horrible throws in KC, Miami, Indy, SD. He still better than 90% of the QBs out there. I was just trying to say if there are any signs that he age is catching up to him it shows up on the road.

Your argument about Brady was silly last night and it is silly now. There is no reason why Brady would be declining on the road unless he had the same issues that Manning has on the road (problems with the weather). Brady has no problem playing in the weather and that would be an issue at home. Also, his best game of the year was IN BUFFALO.

Why would Brady be declining because he isn't good on the road? Being on the road should have no bearing on a QB declining unless there are elements on the road affect him.

Brady issues in many of the road games you mentioned had far more to do with the o-line than anything else. If Brady has defenders in his face, he doesn't perform well. Brady historically has not played as well as other games when he is hit a lot. It isn't anything new to this year.

Why would Brady be declining because he isn't good on the road? Being on the road should have no bearing on a QB declining unless there are elements on the road affect him.
I did not say HE ISN"T GOOD ON THE ROAD. I said his play seems to be affected more than usual on the road. All of what you said is true, OL etc.
The god damn thread makes the observation that Manning is getting old and at that Denver is trying to get less QB centric by getting better defensively and run the ball more....GEE??? WHERE THE F HAVE WE SEEN THAT?????? Could it be because the QB is getting older?????"
What???? Manning gets older and Brady dosen't ???
Like Manning he is not invincible on the road anymore and its OBVIOUS to any HONEST observer.

It's kinda sad to see tbh. Yeah I want to crush the Broncos into submission to the Super Bowl but hopefully this isn't the end for Peyton just yet. Wish we had a time machine for Brady and Peyton so we could see them play another 15 years.

Last 6 games..65% comp, 14 TD, 8 INT, 296 yards a game. 91 QB rating. OK numbers but the INTs are alarming. Brady has made some bad throws lately as well but not to that extent.

declining?

Nah, he's still the same crappy QB he has always been :D

I did not say HE ISN"T GOOD ON THE ROAD. I said his play seems to be affected more than usual on the road. All of what you said is true, OL etc.
The god damn thread makes the observation that Manning is getting old and at that Denver is trying to get less QB centric by getting better defensively and run the ball more....GEE??? WHERE THE F HAVE WE SEEN THAT?????? Could it be because the QB is getting older?????"
What???? Manning gets older and Brady dosen't ???
Like Manning he is not invincible on the road anymore and its OBVIOUS to any HONEST observer.

First, I never said Brady isn't getting older. He is. But he is still on pace to have his best season in three to four years.

Second, most QBs tend to struggle more on the road than they do at home just because most teams tend to do better in general at home rather than the road. I don't get how that proves he is getting old.

Third, Manning is getting old because you can see his arm strength diminishing. There is quantifiable evidence that he is declining due to age. His balls are worse ducks than usual in favorable conditions. It is different than what you are arguing about Brady.

Please don't turn this thread into a bleep storm that the thread you made in September turned into.

Last 6 games..65% comp, 14 TD, 8 INT, 296 yards a game. 91 QB rating. OK numbers but the INTs are alarming. Brady has made some bad throws lately as well but not to that extent.

The Oakland and Miami games skew those numbers where he got 9 of the TDs and two INT and completion rates of 71% and 80%. He has gotten 5 TDs and 6 INTs combined in the other 4 games.

Manning has flashes of his old self, but he is uneven. He plays like crap in a lot of games too.

Noodle arm or not, Manning is still a top 5 QB. The Broncos are better off with him

Second, most QBs tend to struggle more on the road than they do at home just because most teams tend to do better in general at home rather than the road. I don't get how that proves he is getting old.

Third, Manning is getting old because you can see his arm strength diminishing. There is quantifiable evidence that he is declining due to age. His balls are worse ducks than usual in favorable conditions. It is different than what you are arguing about Brady.
Look my point is some of the worst throws in his whole career has come this year on the road. I'm wondering if that has to do with age, if this is a stress point a result of father time. An honest observation.
Some you guys act like woman who get bent out shape when their told they have a fat ass.

True> Mannings decline are much more obvious.

Look my point is some of the worst throws in his whole career has come this year on the road. I'm wondering if that has to do with age, if this is a stress point a result of father time. An honest observation.
Some you guys act like woman who get bent out shape when their told they have a fat ass.

True> Mannings decline are much more obvious.

Worst throws of his career are way overstated. He has made some bad throws the last two weeks, but that is because he faced teams that could pressure him.

Noodle arm or not, Manning is still a top 5 QB. The Broncos are better off with him

Yes, but Big-T has a perfectly good point when he says:

You are note deciding between Manning and another QB in a vacuum. It is about retaining young talent that could still be productive Denver when Manning has his HoF ceremony. This is exactly the kind of decision where Elway can screw his franchise for the next few years.

I personally think that unless Denver completely ****s the bed and loses against CIN and SD and somehow misses the playoffs there is no way they will cut Manning at the end of the year. However, I assume they will most probably lose some important depth players which will make for a contested AFC West next year.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back