PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again we totally disagree. There is no point in arguing.

Of course we do. I have shown everything I said was true and you have shown you will say whatever it takes the keep your “narrative” going. And the arguing is over. I’ll rest my case with the facts I presented. And the “no point in arguing” cop-out is comical coming from you.

I think there's a strong chance he's going to try. He was ready to roll with Stidham till Cam's price was right.

You are right Brady's discount did fund a lot of the depth we had on the team. It also kept people like Revis from expecting more than what he got from BB.

I think Kraft drove BB to give Brady a near top of market contract. I'm pretty sure that won't happen again.
One thing The Dynasty makes clear is Kraft didn’t drive BB to do anything regarding Brady’s contracts. Brady’s contracts were all negotiated with the Krafts. Kraft and BB are on the same page when it comes to the salary cap and player value (i.e. % of the salary cap) so it looks like it’s BB driving a hard bargain with Brady, but it was actually Kraft. BB doesn’t have a complete free hand here like we’ve all kind of assumed; Kraft is always involved to some extent when it involves the biggest names.

Regarding the future, my suspicion on what BB will do with Newton will partially depend on how Kraft feels about him. If he thinks he’s a good kid and wants him as the face of the team going forward, and if he gets an endorsement from BB that they can win with him, I’m guessing Kraft will be handling Cam’s negotiations the same way he did Brady’s and Bledsoe’s.

Last edited:
One thing The Dynasty makes clear is Kraft didn’t drive BB to do anything regarding Brady’s contracts. Brady’s contracts were all negotiated with the Krafts. Kraft and BB are on the same page when it comes to the salary cap and player value (i.e. % of the salary cap) so it looks like it’s BB driving a hard bargain with Brady, but it was actually Kraft. BB doesn’t have a complete free hand here like we’ve all kind of assumed; Kraft is always involved to some extent when it involves the biggest names.

Regarding the future, my suspicion on what BB will do with Newton will partially depend on how Kraft feels about him. If he thinks he’s a good kid and wants him as the face of the team going forward, and if he gets an endorsement from BB that they can win with him, I’m guessing Kraft will be handling Cam’s negotiations the same way he did Brady’s and Bledsoe’s.
Interesting, did it say anything about how other big deals were handled, such as Revis or Gilmore?

What also comes into play is the dwindling salary cap. Most believe sports will still be impacted by Covid into next year. That will have severe implications on player value/signings. We will see how the market shakes out for Cam. If it is not over the top ($30 mil or more per year), I would think Bill might be inclined to sign him.

Of course we do. I have shown everything I said was true and you have shown you will say whatever it takes the keep your “narrative” going. And the arguing is over. I’ll rest my case with the facts I presented. And the “no point in arguing” cop-out is comical coming from you.
You have not. You have argued your opinion which I disagree with.
But I agree there is no point in continuing.

absolutely extend him. This stud has been carrying our untalented offense on his back. Imagine if cam was given speed and athleticism at WR and RB?

Interesting, did it say anything about how other big deals were handled, such as Revis or Gilmore?
There are a few general principles, like each contract needs a community service requirement. But the QB position is the only one Kraft negotiates directly. Belichick calls Kraft for any big deal (like Revis, Gilmore, Brown) and Kraft will push back as necessary, but will ultimately defer to BB’s judgement regarding the dollar value of the contract (since as mentioned, Kraft and BB are already on the same page regarding player value and salaries, that was one of the things that appealed to Kraft when hiring him). Kraft will overrule on other issues though — Moss had a one-strike policy on him (that Myra told Moss directly), as did Brown. The book confirms that it was Kraft who cut Brown, not BB, that if up to his own devices BB would have kept him, but he understood why Kraft wanted him cut and therefore didn’t put up a fight.

Im not sure why people want to think that kraft and belichick have competing agendas. They don’t. Kraft ultimately is the final decision maker whenever he wants to be, but he and belichick have developed a philosophy together. When they disagree i am sure kraft recognizes belichick knows more about football, player value, how to build a team, and what he needs, so kraft defers to him.
The fact that brady walked is further proof. I bet kraft would have accepted 2-3 down years to keep brady around but belichick wouldn’t go for that and kraft recognized that was the smart decision and his emotional attachment wasn’t best for the team.

as it should be. Kraft is the owner, it’s his money. Belichick is the coach, he has to work with every player every day, so nobody wants his relationship with the player poisoned by resentment over hardball salary negotiations.

2020 Cam, if healthy, is miles above the guy we had last year and a much better fit for the team today. He has the same weapons and yet the offense looks so much better than it did last year. Weird eh?

It's also nice to see a QB with a cannon for an arm that can play a vertical offense that other teams have to respect.
The novelty effect of the 2020 offense combined with your petty irrationality towards Brady is what makes you believe this.

Newton also doesn't have a backup center, Marshall Newhouse at LT, and two rookie WRs atop the depth chart.

It's also been 2 f*cking games.

The novelty effect of the 2020 offense combined with your petty irrationality towards Brady is what makes you believe this.

Newton also doesn't have a backup center, Marshall Newhouse at LT, and two rookie WRs atop the depth chart.

Exactly this. It looks different but in the end it produce exactly the same as last year. They scored only 21 pts against Miami and 23 pts on offense against Seattle! If it was not for Pete Carrol and his genius idea to throw a bomb on 3rd & 1 the game would have been over and not even close. So I think we need to pump the break a little bit, it is only week 2.

You really think Brady would be great this year on this team in this offense? What on earth about his last season with this team makes you think that?

Was it the 80 passer rating vs good teams? The lifeless offense? Or just wishful thinking because of the name on his jersey.

Last edited:
If I had to guess at this point, I’d put my money on Cam signing an extension with NE.

I’ve read and truly believe deep down Cam wants to go down as one of the greats to ever play the sport, and ultimately the measure of that is achieving the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl. So if it comes down to a team like the Jags offering Cam a huge payday versus New England offering less but a chance to compete for a SB, I think he’s going NE all day.

Of course NE has to make a reasonable offer first, so we’ll see how it plays out.

Franchise QB’s don’t grow on trees. If you’re an NFL team fortunate enough to have one in your locker room, common sense says do everything you can to keep them.

I think we all need to come to the realization that Cam will not be here next year. This is Revis all over again. It is a business arrangement which is why Cam is so happy talking about respect and not caring about money. He is going to get paid. Just like Revis. We get Cam on the cheap for this year as a bridge QB and he uses us to perform well and hit the market for his big pay day. Bill is not paying him $30 mil+.
Assuming he stays healthy and gets the Pats to the playoffs, the checkbook will open up. The current offense you're seeing now is the future of the NFL.

Cam was the number 1 overall pick and NFL MVP for a reason. Guy has insane talent when healthy. He’s still physically in his prime too at 31 years old

I agree. Everything he’s said and done and showed us so far demonstrate that Cam is loving it here, and especially has a GOAT crush on his head coach. Plus there’s this:
Cam: 'It's not about money, it's about respect'

If I had to guess at this point, I’d put my money on Cam signing an extension with NE.

I’ve read and truly believe deep down Cam wants to go down as one of the greats to ever play the sport, and ultimately the measure of that is achieving the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl. So if it comes down to a team like the Jags offering Cam a huge payday versus New England offering less but a chance to compete for a SB, I think he’s going NE all day.

Of course NE has to make a reasonable offer first, so we’ll see how it plays out.

Franchise QB’s don’t grow on trees. If you’re an NFL team fortunate enough to have one in your locker room, common sense says do everything you can to keep them.

I think there's a strong chance he's going to try. He was ready to roll with Stidham till Cam's price was right.

You are right Brady's discount did fund a lot of the depth we had on the team. It also kept people like Revis from expecting more than what he got from BB.

I think Kraft drove BB to give Brady a near top of market contract. I'm pretty sure that won't happen again.

When Brady was Cam's age, the Pats did pay him at the top of the market. If Cam stays healthy, the Pats will take care of him. If he keeps taking the coaching, he'll be a top 5 QB in the league. There's no way the Pats let that walk out the door.

you guys realize that Bradys discounts in his later years were not the norm right? That is never going to happen again.

Unless you guys think bill is going to roll the rest of his career with journeymen QB's and have 5-6 win game seasons he HAS to pay the QB. If he ended up keeping Jimmy G look what he got

When Brady was Cam's age, the Pats did pay him at the top of the market. If Cam stays healthy, the Pats will take care of him. If he keeps taking the coaching, he'll be a top 5 QB in the league. There's no way the Pats let that walk out the door.

people are delusional to think its so easy to find a successful QB in the NFL and we can just cycle through guys and pay them below market values. Thats key to never winning a superbowl again. but even the Fitzpatricks and Andy Daltons will cost you more than we paid brady.

You have not. You have argued your opinion which I disagree with.
But I agree there is no point in continuing.

Well. Evidently there is a point continuing. Since you still believe all the BS you made up about. Maybe you could show me how I haven’t shown all your “theories” are fantasy. You said “show you”. I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back