PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch the game last night but the word I heard is that Brees didn't play well and looked old.
i loved every second of it

I also loved Brees' post-game presser where he got defensive about his air yards and said its not his job to get air yards, its to help win games... just found that rather humorous coming from a player that is so in love with his personal stats haha

Will be fun watching Brees desperately try to stay ahead of Brady on the all-time TD list, as he withers away to nothing

I didn't watch the game last night but the word I heard is that Brees didn't play well and looked old.

My point is simply that, given his injury history and style of play, it's unreasonable to think that Newton is a true "QB of the future," a guy you expect to be the starter (barring Alex Smith-type injuries) 5-10 years from now.

I think people here are spoiled by brady taking hometown discounts all these years and think you have to pay below market rates for a QB. They need to adjust to the new reality that if you want good QB play you need to pay for it. Bradys contracts were the opposite of the norm. Unless you want to go with the likes of the hoyers and Andy daltons and win 5-6 games a year..

I mean even if we went with Jimmy G instead of Brady we wouldve had to pay him 25-30million$...

agreed there, Jimmy G got $100+ million and he's been injured a lot (left the game again on Sunday, heard he won't be starting next week)

We gave up Brady and I'm at peace with that, but giving up a second good quarterback just because you don't want to pay them is a strategy that works until you are stuck with a bad quarterback. Also, I think 2020 Cam is better than 2019 Brady however we will see as the season goes on if this play continues.
Just for reference, Brady's stats after 2 games in 2019:
2 wins (33-3 vs Pitt; 43-0 vs Miami). 5 TDs, 605 yards passing, No picks. 68 percent completion. 124 passer rating.

Cam has made $120m over his career so far. I believe the most he’s made in a single year is $24m.

As someone mentioned previously...offer $25 per for the next 4 years including this one.
That was me. He'd "collect" $25m/yr including this one, but he'd be "extended" for 3 additional years at about $33m/yr. $100m in new money - pay $25m of it as a bonus right now, and spread the other $75m over the 3 new years. The fact he's under contract this year to play for $1m makes this all palatable where it's a win-win.

As far as risk and waiting a few more games - what risk? The risk was "is he healthy and back to normal", which he clearly is.

I don't really think you're helping your argument by continuing to beat the Edeman was covered by a Safety drum. That Safety is Jamaal Adams, who is an all-pro and arguably the best safety in the league right now

Jamaal Adams impact was enormous in that game, so enormous that if he were to have been inactive the Patriots would've had the game wrapped up by start of the 4th quarter

Adams was killing us all night long, that was a huge pickup for the Seahawks and might be what they need to put them over the top as a contender
Adams was abused by the Patriots when he was in coverage.

i dont think there is really any inherent risk in extending Cam long term at this point. The only question mark about Cam was around his ability to return to form after those injuries he sustained, and he's shown that he is in fact recovered from those and is playing at a high level

they do need to talk to him about protecting himself more, make him watch some tape of Lamar Jackson who does a great job of getting rushing yards without taking vicious hits. For Cam tho in terms of his talent as a QB, he's a top 10 talent and I would pay him accordingly
That and I genuinely think that barring a freak injury and overworking him, Cam can definitely stay healthy when playing behind this OL. Clearly he can operate perfectly well in the pocket provided decent protection.

Question/Answer #2 is the focus..

Question/Answer #2 is the focus..

I don't know why I'm questioning Miguel of all people, but it seems surprising that Cam's contract didn't include a no tag clause. Guess that's how low his stock fell. I keep forgetting we could just franchise him.

Patriots need to extend him...right-meow.jpg

I don't really think you're helping your argument by continuing to beat the Edeman was covered by a Safety drum. That Safety is Jamaal Adams, who is an all-pro and arguably the best safety in the league right now
i don’t have an “argument” to “help”. Adams is a safety and a damn good one but he is incapable if covering a good wr one on one, as we saw.

Jamaal Adams impact was enormous in that game, so enormous that if he were to have been inactive the Patriots would've had the game wrapped up by start of the 4th quarter
you are joking right? Or are you al
Michaels? Most of the big plays we made were on Adams.

Adams was killing us all night long, that was a huge pickup for the Seahawks and might be what they need to put them over the top as a contender
Exactly how was Adams killing us? I don’t mean whose balls were the announcers washing I mean show me the good plays that outnumber the big plays we made against him?

2020 Cam, if healthy, is miles above the guy we had last year and a much better fit for the team today. He has the same weapons and yet the offense looks so much better than it did last year. Weird eh?

It's also nice to see a QB with a cannon for an arm that can play a vertical offense that other teams have to respect.

i don’t have an “argument” to “help”. Adams is a safety and a damn good one but he is incapable if covering a good wr one on one, as we saw.

you are joking right? Or are you al
Michaels? Most of the big plays we made were on Adams.

Exactly how was Adams killing us? I don’t mean whose balls were the announcers washing I mean show me the good plays that outnumber the big plays we made against him?
I wouldn't say Adams was "killing" us. He was beaten on Edelman's long catch and I think at least another one of our big plays. He's really good though so he will make plays of his own against anyone.

From the Boston Herald today. They asked Cam these similar questions directly:
“If I do what I’m supposed to do, that will not even be a topic of discussion here moving forward,” said Newton, who was 30 for 44 for 397 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the 35-30 loss to the Seahawks Sunday night. “You’re talking to a person … money at this particular point in my career, is not important. Let’s be honest. I’ve made money, but for everything that I play this game for, I haven’t received yet. That’s why I’m playing. So it’s not about money, it’s about respect.”

That was me. He'd "collect" $25m/yr including this one, but he'd be "extended" for 3 additional years at about $33m/yr. $100m in new money - pay $25m of it as a bonus right now, and spread the other $75m over the 3 new years. The fact he's under contract this year to play for $1m makes this all palatable where it's a win-win.

As far as risk and waiting a few more games - what risk? The risk was "is he healthy and back to normal", which he clearly is.

That sounds like a plan...he's already made $120 million. IMO he realizes he has a better chance at winning with the Pats @ $100/4 years then with a bottom feeder @ $125/4 years.

2020 Cam, if healthy, is miles above the guy we had last year and a much better fit for the team today. He has the same weapons and yet the offense looks so much better than it did last year. Weird eh?

It's also nice to see a QB with a cannon for an arm that can play a vertical offense that other teams have to respect.

Pump the brakes a bit. We put up 23 pts on a weak D that lost a couple of DBs during the game. The Falcons threw for 450 against the Hawks D the week before. We’re 2 games into the season and we’re 1-1. A little early to be proclaiming anything.

I wouldn't say Adams was "killing" us. He was beaten on Edelman's long catch and I think at least another one of our big plays. He's really good though so he will make plays of his own against anyone.
He isn’t good covering WRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes