PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sooner the better.

I've hoped since Newton signed that he would play well enough and sign a discounted deal, something in the $25 million range. If he plays too many more games like he did last night, it's going to take a lot more than that to keep him around.

Newton is not going to sign any contract in-season. If he continues to play this well, he will hit FA and Bill will actually have to pay him top dollar.
Yup, and that would be the smart move for him.

Yes, do it.
I fear the home town discount won’t apply, though.
Thirty million a a year? Just do it.

Im on board with that. Cam + bb is a yearly contender imo for at least the next 3-4 years and I probably see at least one more ring in that span if it happens. History shows when you have a shot at an elite qb you have to grab it otherwise who knows what you end up with. Hope its affordable.

A risk imo. I’d prefer to see how his health holds up first.
If he is willing to sign an extension do it yesterday before it’s too late.

A risk imo. I’d prefer to see how his health holds up first.

This cuts both ways. If we get into November or December and he is having as good of a season as the first two games indicate do you want him to start making business decisions because of FA ?

This cuts both ways. If we get into November or December and he is having as good of a season as the first two games indicate do you want him to start making business decisions because of FA ?
To me this is a no brainer. If we get into November, December or even late October without an extension the possibility of Cam returning falls significantly. I know it’s early and there are risks but the guy looks like he’s back.

I’m taking a chance on Cam instead of hitting on a draft pick or turning back to Stidham.

How much would you pay for Cam?

To me this is a no brainer. If we get into November, December or even late October without an extension the possibility of Cam returning falls significantly. I know it’s early and there are risks but the guy looks like he’s back.

I’m taking a chance on Cam instead of hitting on a draft pick or turning back to Stidham.

I agree completely. No question about it.

I'm waiting for at least 3 or 4 more games before I would extend him. The Pats "could" end up losing 4 of the next four and you're looking at a 20M-30M, whatever, quarterback on the books and a 2-4 team that could just as easily be 2-4 with Stidham at 600K or whatever...pretty sure Newton can be franchised, can't he?

I'm resolved that this is a one year thing.

Let's see how Cam holds up. He has 26 carries in two games.

That factors out to 20th in the league last year, more than any QB including Lamar, who posters screamed would never last the season.

I'm waiting for at least 3 or 4 more games before I would extend him. The Pats "could" end up losing 4 of the next four and you're looking at a 20M-30M, whatever, quarterback on the books and a 2-4 team that could just as easily be 2-4 with Stidham at 600K or whatever...pretty sure Newton can be franchised, can't he?
You can’t wait 3-4 more games. You can go at least one more game. But say we face the Chiefs and Cam has a great game...then it gets dicey. You’ve gotta take a risk sometimes. A risk for a franchise QB over the next 3 years is something you jump on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down