PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
What veteran QB that would come available would be better than Cam?

Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, and Allen aren’t going to be available. Who else would you rank as clearly better?

Mayfield? Zak? Cousins?

Seriously, who would you sign over Cam if they were available?

Name some names so we can discuss them.
Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I haven't come to this thread in a while.

The discussion is/was about paying Cam with an extension or waiting to see what comes up. That also brings college QB's into the mix but I'm not a follower of the NCAA.

As for current NYFL QBs I'd take any that can throw an accurate pass and read a defense. Cam doesn't seem to have that ability any more, certainly not enough to lock up a boatload of cash for years. If the Pats were going to do that the they could have paid Brady.

The Pats have probably the worst crop of offensive weapons at WR and TE in the league. Throw in major injuries to the offensive line and one full practice, and you get the performance that you saw Sunday. With all that said, it’s amazing the Pats were even within one score at the end.

Let’s see how the offense and Cam bounce back with a full week of prep.

My biggest concern going forward is the health of the offensive line.

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. I haven't come to this thread in a while.

The discussion is/was about paying Cam with an extension or waiting to see what comes up. That also brings college QB's into the mix but I'm not a follower of the NCAA.

As for current NYFL QBs I'd take any that can throw an accurate pass and read a defense. Cam doesn't seem to have that ability any more, certainly not enough to lock up a boatload of cash for years. If the Pats were going to do that the they could have paid Brady.
1. Unless we lose out and get Lawrence or Fields, whoever we get in the draft is a project that will likely have a sub 20% chance of becoming a real starter, will have to learn on a bad offense like ours, and is definitely not going to be better than Cam next year.

2. You haven’t named anyone. Here are the likely QB’s on the market we have a shot at Andy Dalton has a 1 year contract and I think the Cowboys will stick with Dak, Darnold will probably get dropped by the Jet in the next 2 years if they gave Lawrence, but you’ll need to trade for him until then, Rosen who has failed everywhere, Jameis Winston who is an interception machine.

And if he doesn’t play well..... Rivers could potentially get released by the Colts.

The reality is, barring losing out, Cam is likely the best option we have

Fans here had no problem judging the QB last year when those problems were worse.
And now that QB is in Tampa with a near 10 point higher passer rating, 4% higher completion percentage, on pace for 600 more yards than last year, on pace to blow past his TD number last year, slinging the ball deep and making it looking easy.

Last year you had people on here calling him washed.

Those people who judged him last year were wrong.

Pats are finishing closer to 5-11 than to 9-7...unless they finish 7-9 then we're both right...

No matter what their record, they'll need to take the division to make the playoffs, even with 7 teams.

The Pats have probably the worst crop of offensive weapons at WR and TE in the league. Throw in major injuries to the offensive line and one full practice, and you get the performance that you saw Sunday. With all that said, it’s amazing the Pats were even within one score at the end.

Let’s see how the offense and Cam bounce back with a full week of prep.

My biggest concern going forward is the health of the offensive line.

Pats fans didn't accept those excuses last year when the problems were worse. We've been trained well by our HC.

And now that QB is in Tampa with a near 10 point higher passer rating, 4% higher completion percentage, on pace for 600 more yards than last year, on pace to blow past his TD number last year, slinging the ball deep and making it looking easy.

Last year you had people on here calling him washed.

Those people who judged him last year were wrong.
"BUT HE FROZE OUT HARRY LAST YEAR!!!" Meanwhile Harry had two targets for zero catches on Sunday.

It was all totally the greatest QB ever’s fault.
Definitely not the fault of future hall of famers N'Keal Harry, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, or Jakobi Meyers. I am sure that when each one of them is getting enshrined to Canton they will let the world know how slighted they were by mean Tom Brady and how their careers flourished the minute they had a different QB.

Cam needs to turn things around quickly if he wants that big contract. Is he top 10, top 20? Is he good enough to win it all or is he a stopgap? I am skeptical of his upside but also fear the Pats falling into the no QB abyss. Very tough decision.
For sure.

Still think it's not out of the question the guy in the end is Stidham. Haven't seen enough of him to judge one way or the other.

Big week for the Newton 2021 campaign. It's a little concerning that his throwing mechanics and mental processing declined that much in two weeks off. Need to see a ton of improvement there if he's going to be around for any worthwhile amount of money next season.

Big week for the Newton 2021 campaign. It's a little concerning that his throwing mechanics and mental processing declined that much in two weeks off. Need to see a ton of improvement there if he's going to be around for any worthwhile amount of money next season.
What I liked is his attitude. Said the right things. He knew he wasn't very good and didn't pout or whine about it. On to next week. That means more to me given his reputation. Also if there really was a major problem with Cam - as if the GOAT head coach wouldn't do something about it. He hasn't so that's good enough for me.

But yeah, hold off on any extension, we're quite a ways off from the time to make a decision. Maybe it won't be until the end of the year.

Last edited:
agree Stidham could still be the guy.
We really missed out on Luck.
Watching the Steelers hit the Lottery on Claypool wants me to make that Steelers scout or new gm
Yes we should trade Gilmore for picks or a impact receiver.

The QB last year had one foot out the door and couldn't care less
Bradyites make me giggle. I love how they want us to think that Brady would have been happy to stay and would have been great this year with the Patriots. I mean his GOAT like 2019 season with a passer rating in the 80's and no changes on offense this year sure is plenty of evidence of that. LOL.

He wanted out. Bye Felicia.

Last edited:
1. Unless we lose out and get Lawrence or Fields, whoever we get in the draft is a project that will likely have a sub 20% chance of becoming a real starter, will have to learn on a bad offense like ours, and is definitely not going to be better than Cam next year.

2. You haven’t named anyone. Here are the likely QB’s on the market we have a shot at Andy Dalton has a 1 year contract and I think the Cowboys will stick with Dak, Darnold will probably get dropped by the Jet in the next 2 years if they gave Lawrence, but you’ll need to trade for him until then, Rosen who has failed everywhere, Jameis Winston who is an interception machine.

And if he doesn’t play well..... Rivers could potentially get released by the Colts.

The reality is, barring losing out, Cam is likely the best option we have

We have.... a shot at Andy Dalton? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes