PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extend Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Practice....we’re talkin about practice. Pats didnt have enough practice...”
BB doesn't make excuses so it's interesting to hear him say this again and again in the postgame. I just hope we can get a good week of practice in.

Any more lost weeks to the pandemic then as far as I'm concerned the season has an asterisk. If it doesn't already.

What veteran QB that would come available would be better than Cam?

Mahomes, Wilson, Jackson, and Allen aren’t going to be available. Who else would you rank as clearly better?

Mayfield? Zak? Cousins?

Seriously, who would you sign over Cam if they were available?

Name some names so we can discuss them.
The biggest is possibly Dak, but he’s going to want a fortune AND he’s going to want a short contract so he can renegotiate after the television contracts. And Dak would be on the worst team he’s ever been part of offensively.

I’m just glad he didn’t get seriously hurt when he was bent backwards on his fumble. That would have been all she wrote on this season right there.
I'm just hoping that Eluemunor didn't get seriously hurt when he was bent backwards because his feckin dumbass QB held the football way too feckin long, again...

• Sad
Reactions: sb1
Patriots aren't finishing 5-11 or 4-12. My 11 win prediction was obviously most likely wrong, but 9 wins can get us in. Beat 49ers/Bills? Nobody remembers this loss and we're 4-3.
Pats are finishing closer to 5-11 than to 9-7...unless they finish 7-9 then we're both right...

No thank you. If you wanna use him for the wildcat, sign him for 2 mill a year. He’s a good runner. Passer, not so much. 2 TD passes in 4 games is horrendous (he had 0 TD passes in 3 starts for the Bucs last year). Even Stidham, who’s played a half a game, has a TD pass. He’d have more than 2 TD passes in 4 starts. Not sure if Stidham is our future, but he had some good moments in the Chief’s game (some bad ones as well).

If the Pats finish 5-11 or 4-12, they need to pick the best QB available, and then from rounds 2 on, all on offense, just WR’s and TEs.
The issue is that the two best QB’s won’t come to us at that rate and it really is going to be a reach to get the next best that high.

You want what you saw yesterday for the next 4 years?
I literally said, “If Newton can rebound.” Obviously yesterday’s version of Newton wasn’t good at all, but for now I’m willing to chalk it up to his having 1 practice over the last 2 weeks, and a half-assed training camp with no preseason games. But yeah, that was not a good performance at all.

I literally said, “If Newton can rebound.” Obviously yesterday’s version of Newton wasn’t good at all, but for now I’m willing to chalk it up to his having 1 practice over the last 2 weeks, and a half-assed training camp with no preseason games. But yeah, that was not a good performance at all.
I agree. It is still early. Need to see more. 3 of the 4 next games are Niners, Bills, Ravens. We will see how those games go. That should give us enough perspective on whether we should extend him or not.

I'll be honest. I'm willing to give Newton until the end of the season to see how it goes, but he has not been able to perform in the clutch. Against Seattle and again against Denver yesterday he had the game in his hands and couldn't get it done.

I agree. It is still early. Need to see more. 3 of the 4 next games are Niners, Bills, Ravens. We will see how those games go. That should give us enough perspective on whether we should extend him or not.
And on that note, he looked very good against the LOLphins and Seahawks, and had a great final 3 quarters against the Raiders after looking meh in Q1. So it’s not like he’s been bad all season. He’s not Brady and anyone is going to look bad in that comparison, we always knew that. But Newton of the first 3 games looked like a top 10-15 QB in the NFL who you could win with. Yesterday’s guy looked like Tim Tebow. I can wait to see what happens over those next 4 games.

I'll be honest. I'm willing to give Newton until the end of the season to see how it goes, but he has not been able to perform in the clutch. Against Seattle and again against Denver yesterday he had the game in his hands and couldn't get it done.
No one is ever going to best Brady in the clutch. You have to get past that, and start thinking of mere mortal players’ performance in the clutch.

Regarding Seattle, he had the team down 2 scores in the final 5 minutes, led a TD drive, then drove the team to the 1 yard line. Edelman dropped the game winning TD pass on 2nd down. On 4th down, 3 blockers were immediately beat on the snap. There’s no way of knowing for sure if Newton bounced outside if he was going to score. It’s tough to win on a goal line play when 3 guys immediately bust into the backfield.

Yesterday’s final drives weren’t good, and the 2nd down sack was inexcusable. Still, all indications are the final play screw up was on Harry’s part, not Cam’s, and if Harry ran to the right spot as he should, he was open and they have a 1st and goal. People make comments on how Brady would freeze out certain players, but that last play illustrates exactly why he did that....

Cam might not be perfect, but he's worlds better than our other options at the position. He wasn't great yesterday, but I blame the lack of practice and injuries to the offensive line more than I blame him. Cam's running really fits with the play-action run-first system the Pats have preferred the past few years. I expect the Pats to extend Cam and then move on from him once his legs fail.

You want what you saw yesterday for the next 4 years?
???

There is no reason for the patriots to refuse to sign receivers for the next four years. There is no reason to have all the injuries for the next four years. A couple of weeks ago, this was a team competing for the playoffs, with a top OL, top defense, and good set of RB's, and good blockers at TE and FB.

Newton is NOT Brady. He actually needs other players on offense to step up.

Even Newton's "good" games he didn't demonstrate elite traits. He's thrown 2 touchdowns in 4 games!

I'll give him a break on the Denver game. He also doesn't have solid weapons. Heck, I'd even say he might a better fit for this weak receiving core than Brady with his running ability - he can run when all his receivers are invariably covered. I've even come around to liking having him here. But ultimately he is just a serviceable QB with some upside from his running ability benefiting from what before the Denver game was a solid overall team around him (minus WR and receiving TEs).

Try the saints model in some plays using newton as Taysom hill .. considering the skill players on offense need to try every freaking thing...

It is hard to evaluate Cam after Broncos game because of many reasons: covid, lack of practice and OL which was very experimental. Elemanour's injury was the last straw.
The whole team looked like a mess with no ideas how to win the game. Sorry to say that but it is another season showing lack of talents in the offense. I have a feeling that our OL good attitude was a camouflage for our passing game and our mediocre WR corp. I do not want to talk about TE position which is non existent.

Cam needs to turn things around quickly if he wants that big contract. Is he top 10, top 20? Is he good enough to win it all or is he a stopgap? I am skeptical of his upside but also fear the Pats falling into the no QB abyss. Very tough decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back