PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excellent Michael Hurley Article: Significant Aspect Of Garoppolo Trade That Nobody’s Talking About

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasonable speculation in that article, I agree. You might want to amend the title to reflect the content, though.

Either something is in the works or Bill went to the combine and was not impressed with what he saw from this class.

From a topic regarding a JG trade...

I don't buy Hurley's thesis. Nothing's forcing Belichick to use the #12. He can trade it down for more picks or trade it out to next year for more picks. So it still has plenty of useful value even if BB doesn't like the top of this year's draft.

I don't buy Hurley's thesis. Nothing's forcing Belichick to use the #12. He can trade it down for more picks or trade it out to next year for more picks. So it still has plenty of useful value even if BB doesn't like the top of this year's draft.

The notion that Belichick doesn't like the value at the top of the draft would be more interesting to me if it weren't for the names Seymour and Mayo.

The notion that Belichick doesn't like the value at the top of the draft would be more interesting to me if it weren't for the names Seymour and Mayo.

Agreed. Small sample size, but both times Belichick has had a top ten pick, he's used it in the top ten (Mayo being just a small trade down).

To be honest I want Clevelands 1 more next year than this year. With or without Jimmy they gonna suck this year then we can use the top 10 pick next year to actually draft the future QB and he can sit behind TB until TB retires.

Yeah it's kinda funny to see people try to put a blueprint on what Bill will or won't do. Hell we just saw him trade a first round pick (I really didn't think he would do that on to be honest). There's a time and place for everything.

theres-a-time-and-place-for-everything-but-not-now-2034170.png

Well, Hurley's argument isn't that BB doesn't like value at the top of the draft but rather that he doesn't like the top of this draft.

Well, Hurley's argument isn't that BB doesn't like value at the top of the draft but rather that he doesn't like the top of this draft.

Even crap drafts have high end talent at the top. 2009 was an abomination at the top, but even it had players worth taking high.

This is arguably the most talented draft since 2011. Not sold on that Hurley's argument.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Frankly, Hurley doesn't really strike me as all that bright. Kind of from the Tanguay, Volin school.
It was a go-against- the-grain piece. It was fine.

Hes written some pretty good articles destroying Goody and the NFL.

Hurley is ok in my book.

We have 7 picks (72nd, 96th, 131st, 163rd, 183rd, 200th, and 239th) and how many available roster spots?
What do we need right now? RB? Younger WR's for future? LB to replace Ninko someday? Some O-Line depth for future? CB depth for future?
I can see the point where a quality backup QB may be more valuable to us next year than a few more picks.

Frankly, Hurley doesn't really strike me as all that bright. Kind of from the Tanguay, Volin school.

Whoa whoa whoa...what'd Hurley ever do to you for you to insult him like that?

I think he's good. He provided eloquent defenses of the Patriots on SpyGate back in the day.

He means at the top of this year's draft..

I don't buy it either.

BB has been scouting more than just a few first round prospects.

That is the action of someone who fully expects to have a first round pick in his arsenal.

It's not about the number of picks. It's about the number of rookies who make the team.

"... there clearly won’t be room for the Patriots to add six or seven drafted players to the 53-man roster."

" ... and they lack a glaring hole on the roster at any one spot." (BB rarely has a glaring hole in the roster going into draft weekend.)

Last year, 8 rookies made the team.

"They have some needs, but they are the defending Super Bowl champions ... "
In 2015, the Pats added 11 rookies, as defending Super Bowl Champions.

In 2014, they added 7.
In 2013, they added 13.
In 2012, they added 9 (coming off a SB loss).
In 2011, they added 9.

I don't buy it either.

BB has been scouting more than just a few first round prospects.

That is the action of someone who fully expects to have a first round pick in his arsenal.

BB scouts a lot of prospects that are clearly out of reach every year. Call it due diligence in case a prospect unexpectedly falls in his lap near the end of the first (where the Pats nearly always draft). Call it pre-scouting players the Pats may have to face in the upcoming season, or pre-scouting prospects who he may be able to pick up in FA in a few years ...

It doesn't have to be for a singular purpose.

It just seems more like Belichick doing due diligence than anything gathering up information not just for this year, but for down the road as well.

A lot of this is scouting the players he wants to, perhaps to gather information for playing -against- him (how many Jets picks were linked with visiting Patriots at one time?), perhaps to decide if he wants to trade -up- for this person (potential example: Ty Warren?), perhaps to have the information on hand in case he somehow has a chance to acquire him down the road (Barkevious Mingo?).

There's nothing wrong with having more data on hand so he can decide if he's going to track that player, either for the draft, or for a future free agency/trading period, but assuming that it's solely for the purpose of drafting him... well, that's an assumption that's probably -not- a safe one to make with Bill Belichick.

Rex Ryan, maybe, but not Bill Belichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots