PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

EDIT: Pats working out CB Breeland - expected to reach back out this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then after signing of Breeland there is possibility to trade JMC for instance to Chargers. We are talking about situation when BB will acknowledge that Breeland and our young CBs corp is enough to compete. Because keeping Breeland,Rowe and JMC seems to be rather impossible because of a tight roster. All that makes sense if BB thinks Breeland with his iffy health situation is better to JMC.

I still think that something has to be brewing with Gronk. He had a meeting with BB that included Rosenhaus and then suddenly the offseason sillyness stopped.

Allen could be extended a year or two, cutting his 2018 cap hit by as much as $2.5M. If Izzo comes on strong as a blocker and a halfway decent receiver, Allen could be traded.

The Pats have carried six CBs on the roster on occasion in the past. Numbers 4, 5 & 6 are typically required to perform extensive ST work, with at least the #4 guy, and hopefully the #5, also being adequate emergency subs in one or more CB roles.

Gilmore hasn't typically played much on ST (<10%).
Dawson probably won't be expected to contribute significantly on ST.
Rowe hasn't contributed much on ST in his career.
JMac hasn't contributed much on ST and, at age 31, likely won't be expected to contribute anything.

JJ has been an ST stalwart for two seasons (~67%). He also has the third most experience at CB in the Pats defense (Gilmore = 816 snaps; Rowe = 711 snaps; JJ = 504 snaps, Cy Jones = 147 snaps).

Interestingly, Breeland regularly played about 25% of the Skins' ST snaps.

It seems like it might be good to keep any or all of Lewis, Jackson and Crossen on the roster, if all of them are capable of extensive, quality ST snaps.

So, if Breeland is hired and JJ returns to his 2017 form, it's possible (though highly unlikely, and not necessarily desirable) that BOTH JMac and Rowe could be put on the trade block, and the Pats keep two of the youngsters.

Allen could be extended a year or two, cutting his 2018 cap hit by as much as $2.5M. If Izzo comes on strong as a blocker and a halfway decent receiver, Allen could be traded.

If Bill can find someone who does 70-80% of what Allen does in the blocking game at a lower price tag then by my guest. Lets ship him off. Ideally -- like you suggested -- you'd want to make him agree to stay at a lower price with a "safe spot" vs. being potentially cut. But I honestly think there are still a couple of chips to fall.

Dawson probably won't be expected to contribute significantly on ST.

I wouldn't bet on that. He was more involved in ST practice lately and played 2 of the 4 basic units in a game where he was saved from D duties.. Id guess they'd like very much for him to show he can be competitive in ST units because it saves a roster spot. From the rookies only JC Jackson saw more action at ST. I see JC as likely to make the team at the moment. Crossen will probably return to the ST mix as well.

If Bill can find someone who does 70-80% of what Allen does in the blocking game at a lower price tag then by my guest. Lets ship him off. Ideally -- like you suggested -- you'd want to make him agree to stay at a lower price with a "safe spot" vs. being potentially cut. But I honestly think there are still a couple of chips to fall.
70-80% of what Allen does would equal
a terrible blocker. Missing over 30% of your blocks make a disaster of a player.

70-80% of what Allen does would equal
a terrible blocker. Missing over 30% of your blocks make a disaster of a player.

Has anyone told you ever that you take things often too literal ?

If it’s guaranteed playing time he’s after KC makes some sense. Watching them a few nights ago that secondary looks rough.

Has anyone told you ever that you take things often too literal ?
How else am I supposed to take it? Assume you mean something different than what you said?

Hes taking his time.
I like Jackson and Crossen though.

Is the guess that he has/had a staph infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results