PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeebus, I would HOPE so.

Hawkins caught 12 passes last year.

To be fair, that was in 8 games because of injury. He did catch 51 the season before.

To be fair, that was in 8 games because of injury. He did catch 51 the season before.

Which means he SHOULD be cheaper than Edelman.

Not sure why that is a head scratcher.

The fact that his contract is anywhere NEAR the universe of what Edelman got is hilarious.

Well done, Patriots. You got good relative value there......and even now he's STILL cheaper than that 33 year old Denver WR he replaced and outperformed last year AT 1/6 THE COST! ;)

The fact that his contract is anywhere NEAR the universe of what Edelman got is hilarious.

Well done, Patriots. You got good relative value there......and he's STILL cheaper than that 33 year old Denver WR he replaced and outperformed last year.
What do you expect from the Cleveland Frowns? :eek:

Well done, Patriots. You got good relative value there......and he's STILL cheaper than that 33 year old Denver WR he replaced and outperformed last year.

He's also cheaper than Pittsburgh's former #3 who is viewed as the best thing since buttered toast on this forum by some.

Well done, Patriots. You got good relative value there......and even now he's STILL cheaper than that 33 year old Denver WR he replaced and outperformed last year AT 1/6 THE COST! ;)

You just managed to make one of the more inane arguments in Patsfans.com history, and to toss in a completely foolish troll job right in the same post.

Congratulations! You really do deserve a trophy for that.

You just managed to make one of the more inane arguments in Patsfans.com history, and to toss in a completely foolish troll job right in the same post.

Great post. Very declarative.

Now would you like to try refuting any of those facts, or is that just another one of your Nathan Thurm posts?

You deserve a trophy for once again petulantly throwing the equivalent of an intellectual's tantrum whenever someone dares challenge you even in the slightest.

Hyperbole just called. Said you're overdoing it.

Of course it's not a head scratcher. I don't think anyone has expressed any surprise at the respective contracts -- Edelman was more valuable, and his contract reflects that.

But Hawkins did show a lot of promise, and he's about to hit the point in his career when WRs often take their big step forward. I seem to recall the Patriots once signing an undrafted, undersized RFA slot receiver and making out very well indeed. So it's an interesting move by Cleveland, and I'm curious to see what becomes of him.

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 14s
Meanwhile, here are the numbers on WR Julian Edelman's deal w/ @Patriots: 4 years, $17m base, $2m more in incentives, $8m guaranteed.

Right on, that's a reasonable contract. It's a little higher than I thought they would go, but not high enough that I'd call it a bad deal, by any means. Should make for a cap hit in the ballpark of $3M this year.

This could be a $2M cap hit.

How about

Salaries: $1M, $3M, $4M, $5M
Bonus $4M
Guarantees: 2014 and 2105 salaries
Incentives: $2M unknown

Right on, that's a reasonable contract. It's a little higher than I thought they would go, but not high enough that I'd call it a bad deal, by any means. Should make for a cap hit in the ballpark of $3M this year.

Dobson has 4.37 speed and the capability to be a #1. His production this year was almost identical to what Demaryius Thomas did in his second year with the Broncos (32 receptions, 551 yards, 4 TDs). Dobson needs to heal his foot, get stronger in his upper body, and just continue to work on getting on the same page with Brady, but the bare bones are there.

IF Dobson progresses, then Dobson/Lafell/Edelman could be our version of Thomas/Decker/Welker.

This is exactly why the nagging foot issues for Dobson are so discouraging to me. I know the general sentiment was that he had a disappointing rookie year, but the early-season drops were the only thing that I found particularly disappointing. As he reigned those in toward the end of the season, I was encouraged. He actually had a pretty good season for a rookie WR.

If they did today with the transactions going onto cap

Added Edelman and LaFell to 51
took off Vellano and Harrison

So if you take off Wilfork and added Vellano back in you would add and additional $7.085M to to available cap

Cool, Thanx, forgot about Vellano

Restructure should be around $4m.

Release would be $7.5-8m.

I think they restructure him.

I thought it was around that 7mil area. With our added D Backs in place imagine Wilfork restructure pluugin up middle run.

This could be a $2M cap hit.

How about

Salaries: $1M, $3M, $4M, $5M
Bonus $4M
Guarantees: 2014 and 2105 salaries
Incentives: $2M unknown

I'm hoping that the guaranteed money is mostly signing bonus, to retain some flexibility on the back end of the deal if he doesn't live up to it, or if the young guys take off and take over. That would put his prorated signing bonus at $2M by itself, then I figured a likely $1M salary in 2014 on top of that.

I agree, though, that if they're feeling the squeeze particularly tight this year they could definitely push it lower.

Of course it's not a head scratcher. I don't think anyone has expressed any surprise at the respective contracts -- Edelman was more valuable, and his contract reflects that.

But Hawkins did show a lot of promise, and he's about to hit the point in his career when WRs often take their big step forward. I seem to recall the Patriots once signing an undrafted, undersized RFA slot receiver and making out very well indeed. So it's an interesting move by Cleveland, and I'm curious to see what becomes of him.

'Chick, in your example, Welker was coming off a 67 reception season - - not a 12 reception season. Welker also had 86 punt returns and 122 kickoff returns under his belt by time the Pats picked him up. Hawkins has never returned a punt or kickoff in his NFL career.

I'm sorry, but try as I might, I fail to see the comparison there.

Hawkins played only 8 games last year. That was why Edelman couldn't get a sniff last offseason. I don't see the great value in the Browns' move. It is a typical "We're flush with cap space and we can fire our canons" type of move. Good for Cincy in not chasing that.

Hopefully there is an injury out clause. Most of his career has been spent on IR.

Hopefully there is an injury out clause. Most of his career has been spent on IR.

hey kiddo, how about you stop posting? We get it you hate the Pats and don't think they will amount to **** next season.

hey kiddo, how about you stop posting? We get it you hate the Pats and don't think they will amount to **** next season.

The Pats are fine if Gronk stays healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes