PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now we have a very young and stable set of WRs, from a contract perspective, and at reasonable cap cost:

- Danny Amendola (turns 29 in November): signed through 2017 (though he could be a cap casualty as early as 2015)
- Julian Edelman (turns 28 in May): signed through 2017
- Aaron Dobson (turns 23 in July): signed through 2016
- Brandon LaFell (turns 28 in November): signed through 2016
- Josh Boyce (turns 23 in May): signed through 2016
- Kenbrell Thompkins (UDFA; turns 26 in July)): signed through 2015
- Mark Harrison (UDFA); turns 24 in December): signed through 2015

If 1 or 2 of the youngsters develop, the Pats will be in great shape.

Sounds extremely reasonable and relatively gentle on the cap, while protecting Edelman with some significant guaranteed $$. Plus given the details on LaFell, they have a core receiving group of Gronkowski, Edelman, Dobson & LaFell all signed for the next 3 years, which is terrific stability.

Your last sentence is very important to take note of. Brady could POTENTIALLY now be working with the same group of receivers until he retires.

I would like to see another dynamic name on that list to compliment Gronkowski, but when on the field Edelman can be one of the most reliable receivers around even if he's not flashy, and Dobson has show some good potential, he looked like he was open more often than not.

We upgrade Brady's pass protection so he has time to see Dobson deep and we're looking at a 2011 type offense production again potentially (i know, we all hate that P word, but its true).

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 14s
Meanwhile, here are the numbers on WR Julian Edelman's deal w/ @Patriots: 4 years, $17m base, $2m more in incentives, $8m guaranteed.

Pretty good deal especially when you compare it to Emmanuel Sanders' deal:

Also, Emmanuel Sanders' deal is pretty straight forward -- $15 million over three years, with $6 million guaranteed. Cap #'s: $6M, $4M, $5M.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/445955232993136640

Edelman gets $4.25 million a year. Sanders gets $5 million a year.

Your last sentence is very important to take note of. Brady could POTENTIALLY now be working with the same group of receivers until he retires...

But is that a good thing? That's the question moving forward.

Right now we have a very young and stable set of WRs, from a contract perspective, and at reasonable cap cost:

- Danny Amendola (turns 29 in November): signed through 2017 (though he could be a cap casualty as early as 2015)

Hard to argue with the potential and $$$$ and age of that crew.

It's be nice to have that field stretcher/legit #1...but maybe that's the Dobson/Boyce hope.

The Twitter scrub I saw was way off with his tweet.

That is a great deal for the Patriots, it makes retaining both he and Amendola much more viable in future years.

Do you think they will use Harrison at wide receiver or H-back/tight end?

It's be nice to have that field stretcher/legit #1...but maybe that's the Dobson/Boyce hope.

I hope Boyce just explodes. Watching him during the season, you can just see quickness and jets. Hope he stays injury free and should be caught up to speed now that he's had healing time.

So glad they got Edelman, outside of Brady and Wilfork (debatable recently), I think he represents the Pats very well.

I am officially on the keep Amendola for 2014 bandwagon. I would rotate him and Edelman at the slot in 2-WR sets to keep them both fresh and healthy all season and I think we will use a lot more spread in 2014 than we did in 2012 and 2013.

Weak side of the offense –

Z-WR – Brandon LaFell
Y-WR – Julian Edelman
H-WR – Danny Amendola

Strong side of the offense –

X-WR – Aaron Dobson
Y-TE – Rob Gronkowski

Edelman and Amendola run 10 yard or less routes, LaFell and Gronkowski run intermediate 11-25 yards routes, and Dobson runs 15+ routes, that will be hard to cover.

Interested to see this year's cap hit. Right now with the LaFell hit they have about $5.85m free.

Dobson has 4.37 speed and the capability to be a #1. His production this year was almost identical to what Demaryius Thomas did in his second year with the Broncos (32 receptions, 551 yards, 4 TDs). Dobson needs to heal his foot, get stronger in his upper body, and just continue to work on getting on the same page with Brady, but the bare bones are there.

IF Dobson progresses, then Dobson/Lafell/Edelman could be our version of Thomas/Decker/Welker.

I am officially on the keep Amendola for 2014 bandwagon. I would rotate him and Edelman at the slot in 2-WR sets to keep them both fresh and healthy all season and I think we will use a lot more spread in 2014 than we did in 2012 and 2013.

Weak side of the offense –

Z-WR – Brandon LaFell
Y-WR – Julian Edelman
H-WR – Danny Amendola

Strong side of the offense –

X-WR – Aaron Dobson
Y-TE – Rob Gronkowski

Edelman and Amendola run 10 yard or less routes, LaFell and Gronkowski run intermediate 11-25 yards routes, and Dobson runs 15+ routes, that will be hard to cover.

ra5adane.jpg

Great now draft me a TE or two.

Interested to see this year's cap hit. Right now with the LaFell hit they have about $5.85m free.

Gotta figure Wilfork bein released at some point will free up more cap, not sure how much I think something like 4-7mil.

Gotta figure Wilfork bein released at some point will free up more cap, not sure how much I think something like 4-7mil.

Restructure should be around $4m.

Release would be $7.5-8m.

I think they restructure him.

And Gost (save $1m)
And McCourty (save 1m - complicated, will be later)
And Connolly (save 1m)

If they did today with the transactions going onto cap

Added Edelman and LaFell to 51
took off Vellano and Harrison

So if you take off Wilfork and added Vellano back in you would add and additional $7.085M to to available cap

Julian Edelman - New England Patriots - 2014 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Julian Edelman's new deal with the Patriots has a base value of $17 million over four years.

It's a much better deal for the Pats than their five-year, $28.5 million commitment to Danny Amendola appears through one season. Amendola got $10 million guaranteed. Edelman has $8 million guaranteed, and the four-year pact has a max value of $19 million that can be reached through incentives. Amendola is locked into a roster spot for 2014, but the Patriots could save $2.1 million in salary cap space by releasing him next offseason. The Edelman deal magnifies that 2015 is a make-or-break year for Amendola in New England.

The Twitter scrub I saw was way off with his tweet.

That is a great deal for the Patriots, it makes retaining both he and Amendola much more viable in future years.

Yeah, I would scrub that twitter scrub from my list if I were you. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes