PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman facing 4 game suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it when the nfl players go with the “I don’t know what happened” excuse

Come on Julian you’re better than that

translation: I don't know what I did differently this time. I don't know why I was caught.

BTW, I'm fine with his statement.

For me, missing the first four games makes it more likely that he'll be available for the playoffs.

I hate it when the nfl players go with the “I don’t know what happened” excuse

Come on Julian you’re better than that

Man Brady has got to be pissed because his name and TB12 brand have been brought up countless times already around this story

Actually, I believe it when players who get caught claim they don't know how it happened. With all the supplements that pro athletes take these days, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. There could be manufacturing errors, supplements taken in wrong combinations, or in combination with certain medications, etc. I'm also inclined to believe him since he's been clean for so many years. That being said, the problem is the rule is the rule so even a mistake that didn't give you an unfair advantage gets you the same punishment.

I have 2 questions that may have been asked and answered earlier in the thread, so pardon me, but I'm not reading 12 pages of this thread. 1. I thought that first-time offenders got a pass and only 2nd-time offenders actually got the 4 game suspension. Has this changed?

2. Has there been any precedents where players got their suspension cut down a game or two when they were "first time" offenders. I know suspensions are sometimes reduced, I just don't remember if any were for PED-related offenses.

Bottom line- I'm not that upset one way or the other. It would allow Edelman to get another month away from his injury. It will also alleviate the logjam we have at the WR position for another month and see if anyone breaks out from what's already there.

Actually, I believe it when players who get caught claim they don't know how it happened. With all the supplements that pro athletes take these days, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. There could be manufacturing errors, supplements taken in wrong combinations, or in combination with certain medications, etc. I'm also inclined to believe him since he's been clean for so many years. That being said, the problem is the rule is the rule so even a mistake that didn't give you an unfair advantage gets you the same punishment.

I have 2 questions that may have been asked and answered earlier in the thread, so pardon me, but I'm not reading 12 pages of this thread. 1. I thought that first-time offenders got a pass and only 2nd-time offenders actually got the 4 game suspension. Has this changed?

2. Has there been any precedents where players got their suspension cut down a game or two when they were "first time" offenders. I know suspensions are sometimes reduced, I just don't remember if any were for PED-related offenses.

Bottom line- I'm not that upset one way or the other. It would allow Edelman to get another month away from his injury. It will also alleviate the logjam we have at the WR position for another month and see if anyone breaks out from what's already there.

I am pretty sure first time offenders get the full four game suspension, and with respect to PED use, I can't remember a time that someone has gotten fewer than four games.

Of course, if you beat up a woman, you get anywhere between 1 and 6 games depending on whether there's video or whether you play for the Giants vs some other team.

Here my take...sports organizations are overly critical of what a PED is. IMHO if you can get it prescribed or even more so buy it in a store then it should not be illegal or considered a PED. If sports wants something not to be available then work with the feds to get it off the market.

TO BE CLEAR
You believe that if US law did not forbid PED's and other drugs, then the NFL should also allow these substances to be used. I strongly disagree.

If understand you correctly, a player should be able to play drunk every week because alcohol is legal.
========
The condition and safety of players, and the fairness of the game, is "ruled" by the NFL, NFLPA and the agreements between them, NOT by the US government. I would NOT want the NFL to rely on government laws and regulation as the basis of the policies for the NFL.

Here my take...sports organizations are overly critical of what a PED is. IMHO if you can get it prescribed or even more so buy it in a store then it should not be illegal or considered a PED. If sports wants something not to be available then work with the feds to get it off the market.

translation: I don't know what I did differently this time. I don't know why I was caught.

BTW, I'm fine with his statement.

For me, missing the first four games makes it more likely that he'll be available for the playoffs.

You're assuming he's guilty. We know that the league isn't beyond making sh!t up. They did it with Brady..

The players KNOW what is tested for. If I'm Edelman, I get a sample tested at an independent facility and when it comes back clean, fight the league on it..

They changed the rules with the last CBA.
You only get a pass on 1st offense with Weed.
PEDs = Auto-Suspension.

BIG mistake by Edelman not to dive on the grenade and make sure that the narrative was all centered around he himself doing something on his own. By doing this the narrative will go to Guerrero and in turn Brady and what the knew when they knew it.

I see, and if there are extenuating circumstances?

The "narrative" goes further by trolls even without actual evidence.

Last edited:
TO BE CLEAR
You believe that if US law did not forbid PED's and other drugs, then the NFL should also allow these substances to be used. I strongly disagree.
I suppose it would depend on your definition of PEDs. There are many different types of steroids and even HGH, which are perfectly legal under the supervision of someone in the medical field. They aren’t forbidden by the US Govt. They are just controlled.

i think PEDs are overly-regulated by this league. there should be a short list of things that are truly performance enhancing like steroids and HGH and that’s it.

The league(Goodell) has a book,a veritable thick book of banned substances. The league (Goodell) acknowledges that there are products on the market that DO NOT LIST any banned substances yet still contain them. The league (Goodell) says that even though a banned substance isn't listed on any supplement a player buys, that player is STILL responsible for knowing the unknowable.
I say a bunch of former NFL LB's take baseball bats and beat the shyt out of Goodell's face...and then say it's HIS fault he didn't know there was wood in the bats.

The league(Goodell) has a book,a veritable thick book of banned substances. The league (Goodell) acknowledges that there are products on the market that DO NOT LIST any banned substances yet still contain them. The league (Goodell) says that even though a banned substance isn't listed on any supplement a player buys, that player is STILL responsible for knowing the unknowable.
I say a bunch of former NFL LB's take baseball bats and beat the shyt out of Goodell's face...and then say it's HIS fault he didn't know there was wood in the bats.

Anyone who knows about how Starcaps went down, and still defends the way the PED policy is run, is someone you know you can ignore on any matter involving discipline.

That sucks but a shorter season for him might be a good thing.
Gee, this affects my impressions, feelings, evaluation and opinion of Julian just as much as it affected the same about Rodney Harrison.

Specifically, nothing at all. Zero.

So, on the one hand, this sucks.

On the other hand, he still gets to participate in camp, and it saves 4 games of wear-and-tear on his body. As we know, this was actually beneficial for Tom when he missed his 4 games in 2015... if you wanna be optimistic about it, it could be somewhat of a forced blessing in disguise. Don't get me wrong, Edelman is a huge piece of winning games, but it also gives them time to get reps for other guys during the part of the season that Bill often treats as the "extended preseason".
Boston Media: "This is indicative of a rampant drug-scandal on the Patriots, who continue to be the league's national humiliation, the laughingstock of football."

Hate to lose Edelman for 4 games but PED use in the NFL is not a big deal. HGH should not be a banned substance. I can see them banning hardcore steroids because ultimately those destroy people.

You're assuming he's guilty. We know that the league isn't beyond making sh!t up. They did it with Brady..

The players KNOW what is tested for. If I'm Edelman, I get a sample tested at an independent facility and when it comes back clean, fight the league on it..

Not to go conspiracy theory either, but it is possible that the league is making it up just to bust the Patriots for something. It would look more realistic since he is coming off the ACL injury. That way people won't be surprised he took something to help recover faster.
Goodell is probably extra mad that BB didn't retire and they didn't trade Gronk haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents