PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman dealing with tendon injury in knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd consider shutting Edelman down until the postseason. If playing makes it more likely to cause serious damage to the tendon and prevent a full recovery, affecting the rest of his career (which was posted elsewhere) then maybe it's not worth the risk.

He can't even move, and last week may have been a "Win the battle, lose the war" moment for the season with him.

If they're going to play him again this week, which is a bad idea, don't throw at him after the first play of the game. Just let him go out there and take a guy out of coverage.

God, seeing our only consistent weapon hobble around like that favoring half of his body...it's depressing. I feel bad for him, I feel bad for Tom, I feel bad as a fan knowing this is most likely a season crusher.

Last year in 12 games Edelman had 108 targets (9 a game) plus 9 rushes and 20 punt returns.
This year in 13 games he has 135 targets (10.4 per game) with 8 rushes and 0 punt returns.
So basically his usage has gone from 137 in 12 games to 143 in 13 games. Contrary to popular belief he isn’t being used more this year than last.
His usage should be measured as snaps not targets. There is wear and tear any time he is on the field. Jules won’t take plays off when he’s on the field, targeted or just blocking.

Unfortunately Edelman has been overused because of the years he has spent with Brady to develop their bond. Same thing happened with amendola.. not so much overuse.

The connections haven't been developed the past two years because of turnover and lacks of time in the off-season.

Edelman won last yrs Superbowl for them. I hope Brady got a full week of practice with his other receivers this week.
FIFY

I'd consider shutting Edelman down until the postseason. If playing makes it more likely to cause serious damage to the tendon and prevent a full recovery, affecting the rest of his career (which was posted elsewhere) then maybe it's not worth the risk.

If it's not worth the risk now then it shouldn't be worth the risk in the postseason. The playoffs have essentially already started as far as I'm concerned. This team needs a BYE just about as badly as they need edelman. They can't afford to lose again.

Also, it's possible that the team knows that resting him a week or two won't do much for the injury. Maybe surgery is the only thing that is going to help it. I'm just speculating here but it's a possibility.

This injury scares me a lot...because right now he's the O.

The way he is moving out there is not a great sign. Get past Buffalo and get him off the field till playoffs

This injury scares me a lot...because right now he's the O.

The way he is moving out there is not a great sign. Get past Buffalo and get him off the field till playoffs
They only sit him vs MIA if KC loses vs CHI.

If KC wins Week 17 and NE loses to MIA, KC is 2 seed.

If it is patellar tendonitis, only real treatment effective for long term is rest, NSAIDs (like Motrin and Advil in high doses) and ice. I suppose they could give him an injection of prednisolone and that would help for a week or so.

I can understand why JE11 might want to play at all costs. It is not out of the realm of possibility that he could retire at the end of this year. After sitting out a year with a torn ACL, every last game possible is likely extremely important to him.

Only question is does it hurt the team to play an injured JE11?

I suspect he gets a shot and he tries to give it a go.

This is a playoff game. Everyone that can play plays.

If it is patellar tendonitis, only real treatment effective for long term is rest, NSAIDs (like Motrin and Advil in high doses) and ice. I suppose they could give him an injection of prednisolone and that would help for a week or so.

I can understand why JE11 might want to play at all costs. It is not out of the realm of possibility that he could retire at the end of this year. After sitting out a year with a torn ACL, every last game possible is likely extremely important to him.

Only question is does it hurt the team to play an injured JE11?

I suspect he gets a shot and he tries to give it a go.
Retire? Where is that coming from?

They can get by Miami without Edelman.
I don't think now is the time to take the foot off the gas.

No bye and they are in a bad spot.

Last edited:
I do not have any solid information about him considering retirement. It is purely baseless speculation. But, like Gronk he has suffered a lot of injuries over his career. If Brady were to move on, do you really think JE would want to stick around Foxboro at age 33 (he will be 34 next May)? Nobody predicted Gronk would retire either before his comment after the Eagles-Pats Super Bowl.

This is his 10th season. He has already well past average career length for a wide receiver. Could you blame him? Risk of CTE increases with duration of career.

I do not have any solid information about him considering retirement. It is purely baseless speculation. But, like Gronk he has suffered a lot of injuries over his career. If Brady were to move on, do you really think JE would want to stick around Foxboro at age 33 (he will be 34 next May)? Nobody predicted Gronk would retire either before his comment after the Eagles-Pats Super Bowl.

This is his 10th season. He has already well past average career length for a wide receiver. Could you blame him? Risk of CTE increases with duration of career.
OK you are speculating. That is fine.

We would need to look at JE's contract to see how motivated he would be. If he retires hes still on the books until 2021 and the NEP have significant cap charges accelerated if he calls it quits. He can still make a ton of cash and while hes done well, he certainly isn't in the Brady/Gronk tax bracket. Plus if he retired he might need to give back some of his bonus money (remember Luck's deal but the Dolts told him to keep it).

I don't think not is the time not to take the foot off the gas.

If they don't have a bye to get healthy they won't make it far. Need the bye

I don't think not is the time not to take the foot off the gas.

No offense or anything, but your first sentence nearly gave me a seizure.

If he was a real squirrel with all these injuries, the vet would put him down.

If he was a real squirrel with all these injuries, the vet would put him down.
...or put one of those cones around his neck so he couldn't dig at his wounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back