PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman & D. Thomas back at practice; Gordon in warmups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he play in a meaningful game and produce today? That 3rd spot is very much up in the air.

Keeping in mind Gordon isn't actually on the active roster yet, I don't see any tough decisions. You have Edelman, Dorsett, Harry, Meyers, with the 5th spot going to Thomas until proven otherwise because even a declining Thomas is better than the upside of Braxton Berrios.

Maybe an argument could be made for Maurice Harris over Thomas but I'm not so sure. I just think that "meaningful game" argument is meaningless when it applies to everyone else in the group except for Edelman and Dorsett (who, while a safe bet to be a decent depth WR if necessary, has no signs of upside besides his speed). Past that, you can only judge by how they looked in camp and/or preseason, or in Thomas' case the way he looked pre-Achilles. It's definitely a big question mark whether he even gets back to that form. But while his contract isn't a guarantee of anything, the incentives show confidence on at least someone's part that he can bounce back.

Why would one make such a ridiculous assumption, given that Dorsett's career is still active?

Pretty much agree on this one.

And I would respond by noting that Patten was playing when the Patriots were running a 3 WR set as a standard, while Dorsetts' been playing while the team has been running a 2 WR as standard. I would also respond by noting that, during Patten's time, the behind the line screen pass was used as a frequent substitute for a handoff, at what is (at least apparently) a much higher rate than in the past 2 years. Also, I would respond by noting Dorsett's two seasons in New England were both a bit wonky, to the detriment of the receiver:

Year one, Dorsett gets no training camp with the team because of the late date of the trade
Year two, Dorsett goes from starting and producing to being all but benched, upon the arrival of Gordon. Numerically, Dorsett produced before Gordon's arrival and had a couple of productive games after Gordon's suspension, as well.

So even if the 3 receiver/2 receiver sets are what you claim that means Patten should be penalized for being good enough to play more? Maybe if Dorsett were a better receiver he would have been on the field more last year, hence more 3 wide receiver sets. Also don't you think if Dorsett was a better receiver they may have used him more in the screen game?
I am not even sure where to start with the "wonkiness" off Dorsett's first 2 seasons. If you want to say that the trade right before the season was "wonky" then fine, I will agree to that. That being said he only saw an extra 2 targets the second 8 games of 2017 compared to the first 8.
As for last year it became pretty clear early on that he didn't play well enough to bail the team out with Edelman missing the first 4 games. There's a reason the team went out and traded for Gordon. There is also a reason that Dorsett's role was instantly reduced the minute Gordon showed up. Because he's just a role player. He isn't a key cog in the offense.

This isn't difficult stuff, though y'all seem to be ignoring the obvious for some bizarre reason(s):

At this point in his career, Dorsett is better than, or at least more productive than, Patten was at the same point in his career. So the notion that Dorsett would be lucky to improve to equal or exceed Patten's not particularly impressive best seasons is a bit of an absurdity. It's not something that's only in the realm of luck. It's something that's obviously well within the realm of reality. As, to be fair, is Dorsett completely washing out in the future.

This is the dumbest part of your argument. Using age to show that the first round pick got off to a better career start than the undrafted free agent who had to play his first season in arena football. Dorsett was given every opportunity to show that could be a starting NFL receiver early in his career. Early in Patten's career he was fighting to prove that he could even play in the NFL.

For some reason you decided to arbitrarily use age as your barometer on this one but if you want to go by seasons in the league (which would make more sense) Dorsett's 4th season he had 32 for 290 and 3 TD's while Patten's 4th season he had 38 for 546 and 1 TD. At this point I feel pretty confident is saying that the guy drafted 29th overall likely won't put up the "not particularly impressive" numbers that guy who started in the arena league put up.

Keeping in mind Gordon isn't actually on the active roster yet, I don't see any tough decisions. You have Edelman, Dorsett, Harry, Meyers, with the 5th spot going to Thomas until proven otherwise because even a declining Thomas is better than the upside of Braxton Berrios.

Maybe an argument could be made for Maurice Harris over Thomas but I'm not so sure. I just think that "meaningful game" argument is meaningless when it applies to everyone else in the group except for Edelman and Dorsett (who, while a safe bet to be a decent depth WR if necessary, has no signs of upside besides his speed). Past that, you can only judge by how they looked in camp and/or preseason, or in Thomas' case the way he looked pre-Achilles. It's definitely a big question mark whether he even gets back to that form. But while his contract isn't a guarantee of anything, the incentives show confidence on at least someone's part that he can bounce back.
Agree with pretty much everything. But my point was, in trying to measure up our primary receivers to other groups in the league, there is no way you can pencil Thomas in as our #3 guy. We have seriously no idea what we can expect from him. It could end up being him, Harry, or even Meyers. Or, all of them could struggle in adjusting to the NFL and/or learning the playbook and earning Tom's trust (and returning from injury in DT's case) which could lead to Dorsett taking the #3 role.

Who was better, Tony Dorsett or General Patton?

Did he play in a meaningful game and produce today? That 3rd spot is very much up in the air.
Yes we had a meaningful game today did you miss it :rolleyes:

Oh no please continue to tell me how Dorsett is better than Patten.

That person who's trying to debate that can't be serious. They probably mean General Patton. :rolleyes:

Awesome to hear Thomas is back. And with two weeks to go to work with Brady. And with Gordon back, it means that they don’t have to lean as heavily on Harry to start the season.

Oh no please continue to tell me how Dorsett is better than Patten.

Ok, so you're now going to try that nonsense?

Where did I claim that Dorsett is better than Patten?

Who was better, Tony Dorsett or General Patton?

Edge goes to General Patton for his actions during the battle of the Bulge, after which the Germans never mounted another offensive, and were finished in less than five months.

200,000 men and 100 tanks over 100 miles in just 3 days. That feat, to this day, has never been duplicated.

EDIT: I should add that this was during a brutal winter.

Last edited:
Edge goes to General Patton for his actions during the battle of the Bulge, after which the Germans never mounted another offensive, and were finished in less than five months.

200,000 men and 100 tanks over 100 miles in just 3 days. That feat, to this day, has never been duplicated.
Nuts!

What was your point then?

No, you don't get to play interrogator when you're making claims about my posts, after all this time, and then not backing those claims up. Where did I claim that Dorsett is better than Patten?

First Gordon is reinstatement, this board argues about him. Then DT gets activated when he was rumored to miss 8 games and you guys are arguing about him.

The season can’t get here fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back