PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Earthquakegate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to Mexico, lived in Arizona and have worked with a lot of Mexicans. They aren't snowflakes so I doubt more than a handful were offended by a comment that was obviously made from concern.

They sampled their reaction from Twitter from what I've seen. I've been to Mexico a couple of times too. They seem to be a pretty rugged people that have to deal with things that SHOULD actually offend people on a day to day basis. So, yeah, I agree.

We have a generation of Millennials that gets offended at least 6 times before breakfast each day. This surprises you?

I don't think it's just us. Both Gen X and the Baby Boomers seem to be a bunch of pansies as well. Each in their own ways.

It seemed to me that every building I ever saw in Mex. City had earthquake cracks in it. BB was right to count himself thankful to be safely away.

comment about concern from BB is fine

the other factors that connect to it however make it come of as insensitive, even if it wasn't a joke, hundreds of people just died, BBs comments show him caring about him and his team only, there's the rub

anything wrong w/ it? not really...compassionate? def not

I'm sure his true feelings aren't as dismissive all of these deaths, just how the comment came off, and I'm very sure if he could revise his wording in retrospect, he would
How does it show caring about him and his team only.

This strikes me as more people being offended on Mexico City's behalf because they have some vague sense that shows they care, then the Mexico City people being offended themselves.

the other factors that connect to it however make it come of as insensitive, even if it wasn't a joke, hundreds of people just died, BBs comments show him caring about him and his team only, there's the rub

I'm sure his true feelings aren't as dismissive all of these deaths, just how the comment came off, and I'm very sure if he could revise his wording in retrospect, he would
Speech about logistics, difficulties and concerns about a trip doesn't require compassion. Anyone perceiving such comments in that context as insensitive are actively looking for things to be offended about. Such hypersensitivity is absurd.

Some Mexicans Upset By Bill Belichick’s Ignorant Remark About Earthquakes

Belichick thankful there was no earthquake while in Mexico

I love this. Watch the complete contradiction from SI within the span of two paragraphs (bolded and italicized for emphasis)...

Ehhh get over it. As the article notes, there was a very recent quake that killed 200+ people in the city. I don't recall a recent disaster of that magnitude happening in other NFL cities. It's basically the equivalent of saying that even though you know you're still at risk of a hurricane hitting up in Virginia/New York, you fear them more when you're in Florida/Louisiana/Texas. Belichick was right to be concerned.
Though it is silly if anyone is making a big deal about it, I admit that I did a double take when I heard him say that about the earthquakes. It actually was a very strange comment for him to bother making, and honestly I wonder maybe he truly was worried about an earthquake occurring? He actually talked about the city being on an unstable platonic plate. A bit odd thing to say. Plus Belichick has coached many games in SF, Oakland, LA I am sure.

It was a pretty lame thing to say, IMO.
Disagree.
In his own subtle way, BB used this interview to project his irritation with the NFL who forced his team to travel to an unstable, third world nation and play in a soccer stadium that just recently survived a devastating earthquake. Emphasizing the earthquake vulnerabilities of the region is his way of saying to the NFL....'you guys must be fu*king idiots to want to locate a permanent franchise in this hell hole."
If BB was really on his game, he would have included..."I'm grateful no one was kidnapped or died from food poisoning.'
Everything BB says or does has purpose.....and stickin it the the Park Avenue execs is a side hobby for our leader

He's right to be nervous to go there. That this offends people is absolutely mind boggling.
He is right to be nervous to go there and he has a right to voice his opinion but it is still a lame thing to say after you have just played there and your company has collected a bunch of money for it.
It would be the same thing if a visiting coach had said “I am glad we didn’t have to deal with exploding pressure cookers” right after the marathon bombings.

Disagree.
In his own subtle way, BB used this interview to project his irritation with the NFL who forced his team to travel to an unstable, third world nation and play in a soccer stadium that just recently survived a devastating earthquake. Emphasizing the earthquake vulnerabilities of the region is his way of saying to the NFL....'you guys must be fu*king idiots to want to locate a permanent franchise in this hell hole."
If BB was really on his game, he would have included..."I'm grateful no one was kidnapped or died from food poisoning.'
Everything BB says or does has purpose.....and stickin it the the Park Avenue execs is a side hobby for our leader
It would be better to have publicly raised these concerns before going there.

Disagree.
It absolutely was strange and odd for him to makes those comments, absolutely.

It would be better to have publicly raised these concerns before going there.
Say nothing is better. it is a city of 25 million people who have to live there. And Belichick normally says nothing about anything. It was strange for him to make comments, especially since the opponents of the week real home town is pretty notorious for terrible earth quakes (Oakland 89, SF 1903 most deadly earthquake in human history)

He is right to be nervous to go there and he has a right to voice his opinion but it is still a lame thing to say after you have just played there and your company has collected a bunch of money for it.
It would be the same thing if a visiting coach had said “I am glad we didn’t have to deal with exploding pressure cookers” right after the marathon bombings.
he is more likely to die driving to Gillette, or even flying to anywhere, than for his team to be in an earthquake anywhere. It was actually low IQ comment. (not that he has a low IQ, but that comment was idiotic)

Might as well tell people in Mexico City, the largest populated city on earth, they are doomed. And tell people to move from the west coast, the whole dam thing from LA to Washington State. Purely stupid comment from Belichick.
PS: not to mention how insensitive it would be to any of the many few statistically who did die or be injured in an earthquake there. WOW

Say nothing is better. it is a city of 25 million people who have to live there. And Belichick normally says nothing about anything. It was strange for him to make comments, especially since the opponents of the week real home town is pretty notorious for terrible earth quakes (Oakland 89, SF 1903 most deadly earthquake in human history)

Think about what you said for a moment. BB just scored a two-fer.

I don't think Belichick is in the habit of revising his words. His priority is the team, anyway, not relief work.

The image below is literally the first thing that comes up when searching "earthquake Mexico" on Google:

upload_2017-11-22_11-10-33.png

Notice how many earthquakes were in Mexico or just across the border in the last few days. I don't think Belichick was being cavalier; he seemed genuinely worried about traveling to a region that deals with frequent tectonic disruption.

As you mentioned, hundreds of people just died. It seems relevant to mention that he's grateful that they didn't experience further earthquakes.

2017 Central Mexico earthquake - Wikipedia

No, it wouldn’t. That’s an awful example. One is a geographical and documented characteristic of a region and the other was a random act of terrorism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back