PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Earthquakegate

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it wouldn’t. That’s an awful example. One is a geographical and documented characteristic of a region and the other was a random act of terrorism.

I thought it was a good analogy despite the (also reasonable) point you made.

My guess is reports of Mexican outrage are overblown, but if my family member just died in an earthquake and then someone came in and was like "That whole trip sucked, I'm glad there weren't any earthquakes while we were there and we got out alive" in what many people interpret as him making a joke...then I'd be pretty annoyed.

It's too bad because he has many good points about going to Mexico and how hard it is. I bet it was harder for the Pats than the Raiders because of our whole organizations attention to detail. But those points get lost in QuakeGate.

Sometimes we all say something that we regret even if there was no intended malice. That won't stop the PC police from turning into the worst thing ever though.

I see literally no one turning this into "the worst thing ever". Most posters are defending BB's comments while a select few are arguing that this statement was insensitive and showed a lack of compassion given the circumstances.

typical ...people being offended when someone is stating a simple fact.

While Belichick's comments are largely factual, unfortunately nothing exists in a vacuum. Given the circumstances and context around his statement, some see his remarks as a bit insensitive. That said, I don't think anyone is justified in believing that the comments were intended to be malicious or hurtful.

Wow, the NFL really is educational.

Two years ago I learned the complete science between weather and air pressure in a football.

Now I'm learning all about the Earth's plates and likelihood of earthquakes.

He is right to be nervous to go there and he has a right to voice his opinion but it is still a lame thing to say after you have just played there and your company has collected a bunch of money for it.
It would be the same thing if a visiting coach had said “I am glad we didn’t have to deal with exploding pressure cookers” right after the marathon bombings.

You've sold me on that point. Given the recent tragedies from earthquakes I could see how his comment could be insensitive (even if intended as a lame joke).

I thought it was a good analogy despite the (also reasonable) point you made.

My guess is reports of Mexican outrage are overblown, but if my family member just died in an earthquake and then someone came in and was like "That whole trip sucked, I'm glad there weren't any earthquakes while we were there and we got out alive" in what many people interpret as him making a joke...then I'd be pretty annoyed.

It's too bad because he has many good points about going to Mexico and how hard it is. I bet it was harder for the Pats than the Raiders because of our whole organizations attention to detail. But those points get lost in QuakeGate.

It's a statement of geological fact. That area is more prone to major earthquakes and there was one there that just killed 200+ people. Hell, posters on this forum were openly concerned with the team’s safety in the wake of that. Belichick was only saying the same things. If I find myself stuck in the middle of the hood in a high crime area with a lot of gun violence and I say, after the fact, that I’m happy to get out of there without getting shot/mugged/robbed, it’s a similar statement of fact. Or are we to get offended over that as well because, you know, victims? Honestly, anyone that offended over this needs to go into their wife’s purse and get their balls back. But then again, this IS 2017.

mexican-words-of-the-day-ice-mocha-thavea-bad-memory-8982576.png

It's a statement of geological fact. That area is more prone to major earthquakes and there was one there that just killed 200+ people. Hell, posters on this forum were openly concerned with the team’s safety in the wake of that. Belichick was only saying the same things. If I find myself stuck in the middle of the hood in a high crime area with a lot of gun violence and I say, after the fact, that I’m happy to get out of there without getting shot/mugged/robbed, it’s a similar statement of fact. Or are we to get offended over that as well because, you know, victims? Honestly, anyone that offended over this needs to go into their wife’s purse and get their balls back. But then again, this IS 2017.
It appears to me that more people are getting offended here by my calling the statement lame than by the statement itself. Then again, this is 2017.

It appears to me that more people are getting offended here by my calling the statement lame than by the statement itself. Then again, this is 2017.
Who is doing this? Ridiculing a cake-soft opinion and debating the logic behind it =/= being offended. Calling Belichick's statement insensitive = being offended. That's the difference. But yeah, 2017. Breaking wind the wrong way offends people.

Who is doing this? Ridiculing a cake-soft opinion and debating the logic behind it =/= being offended. Calling Belichick's statement insensitive = being offended. That's the difference. But yeah, 2017. Breaking wind the wrong way offends people.
You are, for one. I thought I would be able to call a statement lame without everyone getting defensive about it.

You are, for one. I thought I would be able to call a statement lame without everyone getting defensive about it.
You realize that this is a discussion board and that, in creating this thread, I opened the topic up for discussion, correct? Therefore, I sensed that there would inherently be differing opinions such as yours to debate. I suppose in some sort of alternate reality that may mean that I’m getting defensive/triggered/offended/whatever but on the planet Earth, such an act typically means that I’m simply looking for a discussion on the matter. So no, I don’t care that you have a different opinion. Celebrate it. Hell, throw a party. My opinion is that there is truly a number of things in this world to be offended by. A coach making a statement that a geographical region he was just in gets earthquakes and he was happy that said earthquakes didn’t happen shouldn’t fall under that category. But, like I said, welcome to 2017.

You realize that this is a discussion board and that, in creating this thread, I opened the topic up for discussion, correct? Therefore, I sensed that there would inherently be differing opinions such as yours to debate. I suppose in some sort of alternate reality that may mean that I’m getting defensive/triggered/offended/whatever but on the planet Earth, such an act typically means that I’m simply looking for a discussion on the matter. So no, I don’t care that you have a different opinion. Celebrate it. Hell, throw a party. My opinion is that there is truly a number of things in this world to be offended by. A coach making a statement that a geographical region he was just in gets earthquakes and he was happy that said earthquakes didn’t happen shouldn’t fall under that category. But, like I said, welcome to 2017.
And all I am saying is that his statement was tactless now, would have been tactless in 1917, and would have been equally tactless in 1817. No need to bring anybody’s wife’s purse or balls into it.

@KontradictioN -- you see the irony here, right?

You giving your opinion and interpretation/analysis of the situation = discussion and discourse.

Someone else doing the same thing = being offended.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
This post and your countless 'dislikes' have been utterly brilliant contributions to the discussion. Bravo, sir, bravo.

@KontradictioN -- you see the irony here, right?

You giving your opinion and interpretation/analysis of the situation = discussion and discourse.

Someone else doing the same thing = being offended.
Actually, I’m in agreement with the coach. That the statement is one of fact and not one to be offended by. The counter point to that is that the statement was offensive. Therefore, if you don’t like what Belichick said, you’re offended by it. Otherwise, you’re not. This isn’t really that difficult. We’re not splitting atoms in this thread.

EDIT: By the way...

aaf.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I’m in agreement with the coach. That the statement is one of fact and not one to be offended by. The counter point to that is that the statement was offensive. Therefore, if you don’t like what Belichick said, you’re offended by it. Otherwise, you’re not. This isn’t really that difficult. We’re not splitting atoms in this thread.

EDIT: By the way...

aaf.jpg

No, the counterpoint is that the statement could be perceived as insensitive or offensive. I myself am not offended by Belichick's words, however I'm aware how given the circumstances and context around his comments, they could be seen that way, especially by someone who was personally impacted by the recent earthquake.

Disagreement is not necessarily the same as taking offense to something. If that was the case, I could claim that you were offended by my opinion (which I'm not, rather I recognize you as *disagreeing* with my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back