PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Earthquakegate

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a statement of geological fact. That area is more prone to major earthquakes and there was one there that just killed 200+ people. Hell, posters on this forum were openly concerned with the team’s safety in the wake of that. Belichick was only saying the same things. If I find myself stuck in the middle of the hood in a high crime area with a lot of gun violence and I say, after the fact, that I’m happy to get out of there without getting shot/mugged/robbed, it’s a similar statement of fact. Or are we to get offended over that as well because, you know, victims? Honestly, anyone that offended over this needs to go into their wife’s purse and get their balls back. But then again, this IS 2017.

I hear you. I could say a lot more but I'm not trying to spend my Thanksgiving weekend arguing about political correctness on the internet. But I see your point and the other point and don't have a strong opinion either way. I think a lot depends on if you interpret Belichick's comment to be a joke or not, and it seems like people are split on that.

Entertaining thread though. PatsFans.com, where our number one collective passion is the New England Patriots, and the number two passion is getting furious about other people getting offended at stuff.

This post and your countless 'dislikes' have been utterly brilliant contributions to the discussion. Bravo, sir, bravo.

Seriously. I haven't seen a rookie bring a game this weak since Jermaine Cunningham. This guy's gotta be a troll right?

You've sold me on that point. Given the recent tragedies from earthquakes I could see how his comment could be insensitive (even if intended as a lame joke).
Well I'm not sold because I have no idea why someone who was in an earthquakes would find it insensitive. Is bringing up that earthquakes are dangerous taboo? I can understand why they might agree it's dangerous but no idea why they would be offended. Again, the offense seems to keep coming on someone's behalf- who is that someone?

Who elected all these people earthquake victim's spokespeople? Let them decide for themselves what's offensive.

Last edited:
Sometimes we all say something that we regret even if there was no intended malice. That won't stop the PC police from turning into the worst thing ever though.
People use another's words for their own agenda.

That said even though what Bill said is factually true he broke one of his own rules: Adding a distraction for the team.

Well I'm not sold because I have no idea why someone who was in an earthquakes would find it insensitive. Is bringing up that earthquakes are dangerous taboo? I can understand why they might agree it's dangerous but no idea why they would be offended. Again, the offense seems to keep coming on someone's behalf- who is that someone?

Who elected all this people earthquake victim's spokespeople? Let them decide for themselves what's offensive.

I think it's all about the delivery of the statement. Was he making a joke? Or was he seriously being thankful that an earthquake didn't happen?

Personally? I don't really care either way.

There are plenty of people who claim offense to things when they aren't actually offended.

I don't think people should take offense to these types of things, I just understand that some people MIGHT find it insensitive if it was a blatant joke. Those who have lost loved ones in a recent earthquake may not find it funny. I doubt those people are watching though and actually care what BB has to say (no offense to him, lol).

Last edited:
You know BB and Ernie were working on an earthquake package of plays just in case.

"Let's go deep, Cooks can outrun the cracks and the rumbling won't affect the ball in mid-air."

"There's a massive crater at the right hash mark so they'll expect a slant before it, but we could probably pull a double move and use the hole as a pick."

*throws Microsoft Surface into fissure*

Why the hell are you all trying to create controversy where there is none? Literally no one give s a **** about this but you all.

Seriously. I haven't seen a rookie bring a game this weak since Jermaine Cunningham. This guy's gotta be a troll right?
Raider fan trolling this one thread.

I think it's all about the delivery of the statement. Was he making a joke? Or was he seriously being thankful that an earthquake didn't happen?

Personally? I don't really care either way.

There are plenty of people who claim offense to things when they aren't actually offended.

I don't think people should take offense to these types of things, I just understand that some people MIGHT find it insensitive if it was a blatant joke. Those who have lost loved ones in a recent earthquake may not find it funny. I doubt those people are watching though and actually care what BB has to say (no offense to him, lol).
To anyone who listened to it, it clearly isn't a joke.

I inderstand it is a long distances to go, and the logistics and all that but to bring up earthquake when one has just occurred is basically saying to all the ticket paying customers I really didn’t want to come to your crappy city but they made me.

I heard the interview and he was simply saying that the amount of work an organization has to put in to go and play there makes it less than desirable. And I have absolutely no doubt he feels exactly the same about London or Munich, or Toronto....... Belichick is interested in focusing on winning, not marketing, and he’s anyways going to take the most efficient option.

I heard the interview and he was simply saying that the amount of work an organization has to put in to go and play there makes it less than desirable. And I have absolutely no doubt he feels exactly the same about London or Munich, or Toronto....... Belichick is interested in focusing on winning, not marketing, and he’s anyways going to take the most efficient option.
I totally understand that, and I am cool with it. I am also cool with what he said about the earthquake, I am not offended or otherwise. All I am saying is that it was tactless - it is totally possible to be matter of fact, correct, and even right while being tactless at the same time. Belichick isn’t perfect and neither is he the Mona Lisa Vito of tectonic plates, I think it is fair to say that much.

this thread is the epitome of people getting their panties in a bunch because "every kid gets a trophy", when in reality its not the kids who decided to all get trophies, its the parents (with the bunched panties) who cant handle being told their kids aren't as good as other parents that need that safe protection

No, the counterpoint is that the statement could be perceived as insensitive or offensive. I myself am not offended by Belichick's words, however I'm aware how given the circumstances and context around his comments, they could be seen that way, especially by someone who was personally impacted by the recent earthquake.

Disagreement is not necessarily the same as taking offense to something. If that was the case, I could claim that you were offended by my opinion (which I'm not, rather I recognize you as *disagreeing* with my opinion).
Insensitive literally means showing or feeling no concern for others’ feelings. Therefore, if you find it insensitive, you also find it offensive. Again, there are plenty, PLENTY of things in this world to be offended by. In the interest of keeping the thread from going in a political direction, I won’t name them. A coach saying that he’s glad to not have been caught in an earthquake or volcano in an area of the world predisposed to them is certainly not one of them. Anyone thinking it is insensitive is Charming-soft and lost their balls long ago. Because people died in an earthquake, we’re not allowed to call a spade a spade? Would you not happily and outright admit, if asked, that you’re happy you’re cancer-free as opposed to being stricken with it or would you stop short of saying that for fear of offending those that have or had it?

Disagree.
In his own subtle way, BB used this interview to project his irritation with the NFL who forced his team to travel to an unstable, third world nation and play in a soccer stadium that just recently survived a devastating earthquake. Emphasizing the earthquake vulnerabilities of the region is his way of saying to the NFL....'you guys must be fu*king idiots to want to locate a permanent franchise in this hell hole."
If BB was really on his game, he would have included..."I'm grateful no one was kidnapped or died from food poisoning.'
Everything BB says or does has purpose.....and stickin it the the Park Avenue execs is a side hobby for our leader
Perhaps you could remove yourself from the Cold War era?

I hear you. I could say a lot more but I'm not trying to spend my Thanksgiving weekend arguing about political correctness on the internet. But I see your point and the other point and don't have a strong opinion either way. I think a lot depends on if you interpret Belichick's comment to be a joke or not, and it seems like people are split on that.

Entertaining thread though. PatsFans.com, where our number one collective passion is the New England Patriots, and the number two passion is getting furious about other people getting offended at stuff.
Fair enough.

Nothing to see here. Move along! People are desperate to create **** where there is none. The internet combined with 24 hour news cycles creates this kind of ABSOLUTE ****E!

I totally understand that, and I am cool with it. I am also cool with what he said about the earthquake, I am not offended or otherwise. All I am saying is that it was tactless - it is totally possible to be matter of fact, correct, and even right while being tactless at the same time. Belichick isn’t perfect and neither is he the Mona Lisa Vito of tectonic plates, I think it is fair to say that much.

What Pissah said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back