PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Earthquakegate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about what you said for a moment. BB just scored a two-fer.
BB's twofer:

1) Indirectly ridicules the NFL for their blind ambition to take the league global
2) Signals to the NFL...'Keep sending the Patriots on these junkets ... be prepared for honest/public assessments

BB's goal: Take NE off the foreign soil travel list

What's your problem?

Worried that some religious fanatic will drive a truck into you?

Or that a deranged person with an arsenal of assault weapons will spray bullets everywhere?

SMH
I'd worry about the dental hygiene...but that's just me.
I wouldn't have to worry about remembering first names given half the males share the same name....Big plus for the forgetful
I would recommend the No Go Zone app for the tourists

He could have said the same thing about earthquakes in California. Would californians have gotten mad? actually yeah probably

Could say the same about Seattle.

Earthquakes and volcanoes have been a characteristic of the geographical location that we now call "Mexico" for literally eons. Terrorist bombings are geographically independent.
Can you predict when the next earthquake in Mexico city will occur with any greater certainty than when the next terror attack in Boston will occur?

But regardless of probabilities... my point is that what he said was lame and did not need to be said. It would be just as valid to be thankful to be not hit with a terror attack in Boston and not want to play in Foxborough but it would still be a lame thing to say.

I always thought it was insensitive of the NFL when they moved the 49ers game to another field after the Loma Prieta Earthquake. :eek:

Oct 22 1989 49ers vs Pats.

To the Stanford College stadium (I was at that game)...

Yea I am sure there are just many, many tens of millions of Mexicans outraged. A foreigner coming to Mexico and referencing in a light hearted manner the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions (of historical reality), Mexicans all over the country are just outraged (orrrrr the far far less likely explanation that the outrage machine manned by a comparative tiny number continues to churn its wheels).

This post should be immediately deleted by the original poster, or removed by a moderator.

Earthquakes and volcanoes have been a characteristic of the geographical location that we now call "Mexico" for literally eons. Terrorist bombings are geographically independent.

You seem to be using "geographically independent" synonymously, or in lieu of, "unpredicatable", when in reality that logic is faulty.

While terror attacks aren't a result of geography, they do vary from place to place with certain statistics and variables that serve as predictors of when, and more so, where they'll occur.

Can they be predicted in an extremely accurate way? No. But neither can earthquakes.

Can you predict when the next earthquake in Mexico city will occur with any greater certainty than when the next terror attack in Boston will occur?

But regardless of probabilities... my point is that what he said was lame and did not need to be said. It would be just as valid to be thankful to be not hit with a terror attack in Boston and not want to play in Foxborough but it would still be a lame thing to say.

It's not a question of "when".

Due to the geology, it's a virtual certainty that a location within a couple hundred miles or less of Mexico City will have an M4.2+ quake. South Central/Southern Mexico averages almost one per day. They're not preventable.

It's not at all certain that the Boston Metro are will suffer another terrorist bombing in our lifetimes. And they ARE preventable.

Dangerous December snowstorms in the Boston area would be a much more appropriate comparison.

You seem to be using "geographically independent" synonymously, or in lieu of, "unpredicatable", when in reality that logic is faulty.

While terror attacks aren't a result of geography, they do vary from place to place with certain statistics and variables that serve as predictors of when, and more so, where they'll occur.

Can they be predicted in an extremely accurate way? No. But neither can earthquakes.

Due to the geology, central and southern Mexico (including Mexico City) experience an M4.2 quake (or greater) almost daily. The same is true for California. It's a virtual certainty that one will occur if you're in either area for 48 hours or more. They are not preventable. The precise location and time and magnitude are unforeseeable. They will occur whether humans exist or not.

Due to the topography of North America, the Boston area experiences a dangerous snowstorm nearly every December and/or January and/or February. Same for Minneapolis. It's a virtual certainty that you'll experience one if you're in either area during the meteorological winter. They are not preventable. But, we CAN see such snowstorms coming well in advance (most of the time). They will occur whether humans exist or not

While it's highly likely that another terrorist bombing will occur somewhere very soon (most likely in the Middle East), there is no unalterable geological or topographical "forcing factor" dictating that another terrorist bombing WILL occur - ever - in the Boston area. We CAN sometimes see them coming, and they ARE, to some degree, preventable. They occur ONLY if humans exist.

The comparison between quakes in Mexico and snowtorms in Boston is far more apt than a comparison of quakes and terrorist bombings.

Due to the geology, central and southern Mexico (including Mexico City) experience an M4.2 quake (or greater) almost daily. The same is true for California. It's a virtual certainty that one will occur if you're in either area for 48 hours or more. They are not preventable. The precise location and time and magnitude are unforeseeable. They will occur whether humans exist or not.

Due to the topography of North America, the Boston area experiences a dangerous snowstorm nearly every December and/or January and/or February. Same for Minneapolis. It's a virtual certainty that you'll experience one if you're in either area during the meteorological winter. They are not preventable. But, we CAN see such snowstorms coming well in advance (most of the time). They will occur whether humans exist or not

While it's highly likely that another terrorist bombing will occur somewhere very soon (most likely in the Middle East), there is no unalterable geological or topographical "forcing factor" dictating that another terrorist bombing WILL occur - ever - in the Boston area. We CAN sometimes see them coming, and they ARE, to some degree, preventable. They occur ONLY if humans exist.

The comparison between quakes in Mexico and snowtorms in Boston is far more apt than a comparison of quakes and terrorist bombings.

Fair enough, you make some reasonable points and I think your logic is a bit more nuanced and sensible than my statement. I don't disagree with anything in your post.

That said, I still think Belichick's statement was insensitive and offensive, regardless of whether it was intended that way. I don't think Belichick is a bad person, or that this remark was intended to be malicious. That doesn't change the fact that the statement itself was insensitive given the context.

If the coach of a team traveling to the Deep South or Florida made a remark along the lines of, "I'm just glad we didn't have to deal with any hurricanes down here", recently after a hurricane that claimed and destroyed lives, it would be considered insensitive.

Hypothetically, if the coach of a team that traveled to Foxborough said "I'm just glad we didn't get hit by a blizzard" in the aftermath of a deadly blizzard, Patriots fans would be perturbed, and perhaps deeply offended if they were close to someone who lost their life in said hypothetical blizzard.

It's easy for us to sit here and emotionally separate ourselves from Belichick's comments and the Mexican earthquake situation in general, and analyze Belichick's comments in a detached, strictly objective manner. However, if we were personally impacted by that fatal earthquake and suffered as a result, be it a loss of property, loss of loved ones or friends, etc, we would have an entirely different outlook. That's the point of the above hypotheticals.

A little empathy and understanding here will help us view his comments in a different light and understand why some people are rightfully upset. To put it more simply: putting yourself in someone else's shoes goes a long way.

Last edited:
Fair enough, you make some reasonable points and I think your logic is a bit more nuanced and sensible than my statement. I don't disagree with anything in your post. That said, I still think Belichick's statement was insensitive and offensive, regardless of whether it was intended that way. I don't think Belichick is a bad person, or that this remake was intended to be malicious. That doesn't change the fact that the statement itself was wrong given the context.

If the coach of a team traveling to the Deep South or Florida made a remark along the lines of, "I'm just glad we didn't have to deal with any hurricanes down here", recently after a hurricane that claimed and destroyed lives, it would be considered insensitive.

Hypothetically, if the coach of a team that traveled to Foxborough said "I'm just glad we didn't get hit by a blizzard" in the aftermath of a deadly blizzard, Patriots fans would be perturbed, and perhaps deeply offended if they were close to someone who lost their life in said hypothetical blizzard.
The "In Bill we trust" stuff goes to far when you can't look at something like this reasonable. Dumb foolish comment by Belichick, really not even rooted in reality in fact.

Yea I am sure there are just many, many tens of millions of Mexicans outraged. A foreigner coming to Mexico and referencing in a light hearted manner the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions (of historical reality), Mexicans all over the country are just outraged (orrrrr the far far less likely explanation that the outrage machine manned by a comparative tiny number continues to churn its wheels).
it is silly that people are making a big deal. But it is also true that it was stupid comment by someone who usually does not talk much but actually makes smart comments when he does, not stupid ones, like his earthquake comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back