Votes: 7 26.9%
  • yes, but book after Feb 4 flight

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • yes, but with a return ticket

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's certainly getting more comfortable. Good hide and seek.
Gronk's attraction makes it easier of course but good to see.
Also nice hands in first one and nice speed in second.

No doubt about it, especially the first catch; not easy at all, and he held on after he was hit too.
What I see is that he is starting to figure out how to get open where Brady needs him to be open, and that he is now becoming more productive in his pass-catching game, coincidently or not, after Bennett had been claimed. Friendly competition is good. We have now become even more dangerous to defend, and that will keep us in good stead when we visit ****sberg, where our ability to convert FGs into TDs will determine either victory or defeat, and either HFA throughout or another visit to PitsDirt in January.

Watching the team celebrate with him and listening to him in the locker room I can see why the staff is going to be patient with him. I think he's a legit good guy.

Earlier this decade did you chastize every poster who typed "Mallet" with 1 T?

Right, we're a forum of diehard football fans. I think we should all have a little slack when it comes to grammar and spelling. If someone writes Belicheck instead of Belichick it shouldn't render the actual substance of his/her argument as worthless.

Watching the team celebrate with him and listening to him in the locker room I can see why the staff is going to be patient with him. I think he's a legit good guy.

Either way, he better take a paycut next year or he's gone.

Really? This is what you bring to the table?

Anyway, good for Allen - a second game where he made significant contributions, not the least of which was a great fumble recovery.

See this is the problem. Allen has made significant contributions in the running game all season long. So that statement is erroneous.

Somebody, I think it was @Tony2046 and I apologize if that's not the correct person, made a clip of Allen's early targets this season and none of them did Allen really have a chance. Just look at the 1st drive against the chiefs? No way was that ball catchable.

I really feel like if Allen wasn't getting paid significantly(for a TE) a large portion of this forum wouldn't know the difference between Hooman and Allen. And I can't tell you how many times I watched Hooman whiff on his block. He was a mediocre blocker and mediocre receiver.

You think Allen is overpaid, so say he's overpaid. He's not a bust. He's not useless. He has potential to be a dynamic tight end. Just gotta give him some time to see if he can tap that.

And like @luuked has said, if it doesn't work out, BB can cut him or ask him to take a pay cut. Having to constantly draft at the bottom of the round, we need to take risks like this.

I really feel like if Allen wasn't getting paid significantly(for a TE) a large portion of this forum wouldn't know the difference between Hooman and Allen. And I can't tell you how many times I watched Hooman whiff on his block. He was a mediocre blocker and mediocre receiver.

As one of his critics I can say that this statement is 100% on the mark, but I don't necessarily see that as being out of line. After all, if the Pats are shelling out the money, that means that there are higher expectations out there. After all, if they were paying Allen to play like Hooman they would have a found cheaper guy who can play like him.

So yes, I won't deny that there is certainly a correlation between salary and expectations of play.

he looks pretty stout too...

As one of his critics I can say that this statement is 100% on the mark, but I don't necessarily see that as being out of line. After all, if the Pats are shelling out the money, that means that there are higher expectations out there. After all, if they were paying Allen to play like Hooman they would have a found cheaper guy who can play like him.

So yes, I won't deny that there is certainly a correlation between salary and expectations of play.

Pats are paying Allen 5M, Saints Hooman 2.3M . so its not too extravagant.
Allen is a monster blocker for a TE. I don't think H is in that category...

...Having to constantly draft at the bottom of the round, we need to take risks like this.

Couldnt agree more. This is a very understated and under-appreciated handicap in my opinion.

2011-2017
Because of their winning record, for the past seven years the Patriots have drafted on average at #30 in each round.

2002-2017

2000-2017.
#26.2

EDIT: No other team drafts on average in a worst draft position than the Patriots no matter what (significant) section of years you look at, at least that I've discovered.

Because other teams do not win as consistently as the Patriots, they have chances at restocking during a bad season. For example, the Broncos picked up Von Miller and Julius Jones in 2011 because they got to draft at the #2 spot. Their Average Draft Position for 2011-2017 is #23.7.

From what I can tell, the next worst team for Average Draft Position is the Packers at #27.5 for 2011-2017 though they go up to #23.8 for 2002-2017.

Last edited:
Glad to see him in the fold a little bit more, he looks like he could potential be another RZ option which you can't underestimate.

Still cant get over the time my phone autocorrected Kittle to Brittle in one of the posts before the draft this year.

At least it didn't go with Kiffin.

But, again, Allen didn't sign his current contract with the Pats. He signed it with the Colts. The Pats bought the contract from the Colts and everything that went with it. They knew the risks - that he might not perform as well as a receiver in the Pats offense as he had in the Colts offense, at least not right away. And they also knew what they'd likely be getting as a blocker immediately.

Allen is absolutely NOT to blame for how much he's being paid. If he's not living up to fan expectations for how much he's being paid, that's on the fans, NOT on Allen. And, of course, he may have been practicing and playing this season well within the Pats expectations for him all along. None of us has any way of "knowing" anything different for certain, no matter how wise we think we are about the signs and signals and tea leaves.

To me, what he's being paid this season isn't even relevant to a discussion of his performance. AFTER this season (six more games plus the playoffs), maybe I'll review the entirety of his 2017 and compare that to what his contract calls for him to be paid NET season, and make a judgement on that within the context of whatever alternative players are available at that time. But, for now, it is what it is.

Pats are paying Allen 5M, Saints Hooman 2.3M . so its not too extravagant.
Allen is a monster blocker for a TE. I don't think H is in that category...

2017 Tight End Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

The link above has Allen as the 17th highest paid TE in football.

Now I know it's not going to be a perfect world in which each year the highest paid players will be at the top of the stat leaderboards, but they will be partially judged on it (whether fair or not). After all, in football the salary cap is obviously a huge factor. That's why value is such a key component, and obviously production and salary are the main factors of value. So when you spend money on a guy you expect production.

Obviously whether or not he is living up to expectations is a discussion all in itself, but salary is certainly a factor in the conversation.

Danny Amendola is a perfect example. We all love Amendola for his production in big games and being a great depth player, but our perspective of him wouldn't be as rosy if he was still getting being paid more than guys like Edelman. (Even though he's resourceful, if he was making more than Edelman then he'd still be underperforming his contract and I bet BB would have cut him due to him being bad value, even if he is a good player).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back