Votes: 7 26.9%
  • yes, but book after Feb 4 flight

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • yes, but with a return ticket

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agreed with everything in your post, but there were a few things I wanted to comment on.

Anyway, I'm guessing that much of this sounds oddly dispassionate, remote, academic ... whatever ... to a lot of "fans", but - above and beyond enjoying the multiple, simultaneous rochambeau games within each play, and the chess match within each game/season as a whole - this is the "fun part" for me . It is what it is, to coin a phrase.

I share your same academic interest in the Patriots at all three scales of analysis you mention (per-play strategy, game-level decision making, season level GM strategy). It is probably why we tend to "like", "agree", and "winner" each other's posts. I also just tend to think about things "academically" generally.

However, if you were actually with me while watching a game, you would find I can be quite rowdy and emotional in my support as well. When I am fortunate enough to attend the games live, I have been know to lose my voice trying to help the team get false starts, and I can be found "busting a move" following touchdowns. My previous jokes about needing to re-watch games because of my Bacchian (jovial or drunken) tendencies were only partially in jest.

However, my strong tie to the Patriots is because of the "academic" interest at this point. I could go to a Bills game, jump onto plastic furniture, and yell while throwing bildos on the field just as easily as I could cheer for players in Patriots laundry. It is the analytic part that keeps me a Patriots fan. (The winning helps also, TBH). I would still have no issues with yelling my head off at a Bills game if they were playing in a game with minor Patriots implications.

I'm actually not an "IBWT" guy.

I believe in the mantra "In Belichick We Trust" in the following sense: Given the "anomaly" of the Patriots dynasty in the cap era, we should give BB full control to do what he wants. I even want him to have "control" after he retires from coaching, in the sense I want us to still apply the principals that brought him success after he is done. This belief is both because I think it would give us the best chance at continued success, and I am academically interested if Belichick will be able to set up a program of success that lasts beyond his tenure.

And, it's not about my personal hypotheses being "right" or "wrong"; it's simply about learning, about attempting to understand his processes.

I could not agree with this part more. The entire reason I give "hypotheses" is to either 1) share the insights that my hypotheses might have, and 2) learn why my current "hypotheses" are inadequate. Sometimes I omit the "IMO", or the "my perception", "my impression", etc. But I hope people understand that it is implicit. I tend to include them in statements I am less confident in, and omit them in ones I have higher confidence in. That said, lack of certainty is central to the human condition.

After nearly two decades of this study, one conclusion I've come to is that MBA programs and service academy officer training programs could benefit greatly from studying BB's processes.

Do you have a background in MBA programs or service academy officer training programs? I can somewhat imagine how Belichick's processes could be helpful. Yet, would definitely like more elaboration on it you have more thoughts on this! Although I have some background in academia, I don't share this particular background.

Last edited:
Do you have a background in MBA programs or service academy officer training programs?

Studied organizational theory in college as a sidebar to PoliSci. Personal experience managing 60+ employees (in retrospect, I could've been a lot better). Personal experience as a direct report to the executive level of a large, multinational corporation. Numerous friends who've served, including a couple of officers (whose best "war stories" have been about how SNAFU's occur).

Those posters won't look at it that way, because they don't go all that in-depth with the thought process.

This is the same group of people who expects everyone to come play here for the vet minimum, simply because they would get to wear the flying Elvis on their helmet - long-term players should take discounts to stay - and anyone who makes more than that, and isn't an immediate Hall of Famer, is a bum.

Nothing ever satisfies these people - every game could be 56-0 and it wouldn't be enough. It's the hawt taek culture, as opposed to, you know, actually watching football games, realizing that wins are a good thing that most teams don't get to experience nearly as much as we are fortunate enough to.

The Patriots didn't sign Allen to that contract, the Colts did. He was brought in to be a TE2, and he's done that job just fine. His teammates and coaches don't seem to have a problem with him. But he isn't on pace for 120 catches and 2000 yards, so he's a bum. Hawt taeks.

The dudes a no good sterno drinking bum

I'm actually not an "IBWT" guy.

Interesting. I don't understand how anyone could not be. IMO, given the remarkable track record and the number of "confounding successes", it's the only rational position to hold.

It's not like IBWT is a faith based position. To the contrary, it's those acting like each mistake is a sign of imminent decline who are ignoring the evidence.

Interesting. I don't understand how anyone could not be. IMO, given the remarkable track record and the number of "confounding successes", it's the only rational position to hold.

It's not like IBWT is a faith based position. To the contrary, it's those acting like each mistake is a sign of imminent decline who are ignoring the evidence.

Well, I'm not anywhere near the other extreme of that spectrum, either. Or in the middle.

I'm not aware that I'm required to self-identify with any place on any spectrum, really. Others will decide how to classify what I think, regardless what I have to say about it.

Well, I'm not anywhere near the other extreme of that spectrum, either. Or in the middle.

I'm not aware that I'm required to self-identify with any place on any spectrum, really. Others will decide how to classify what I think, regardless what I have to say about it.

I didn't realize that it was about self-identification, I thought it was simply an answer to the question of whether Bill has earned the benefit of the doubt. I don't see how the answer can be anything but an unqualified "yes", hence IBWT.

It also should be noted that IBWT does not necessitate steadfast refusal to acknowledge mistakes, just an understanding that he makes less than virtually everyone else. So the idea that it puts one at the extreme end of a spectrum is mistaken.

It seems that were using the terms differently. That clears up my initial confusion, thanks,

Frankly, I find all the predictions stated with absolute certainty, and the trading of personal insults over them, juvenile and boring. [NOTE: I'd at least find them amusing if, instead of "You're an idiot." and "Yo mama is thrashy.", posters would exchange Scottish barbs like, "Yer bum's ott the windae, ye feckin' bampot!" and "Awa' n' bile yer heed, ya feckin' roaster!" But, that's probably just me.]

Allow me, good sir, to be the first to please you with a proper Scottish insult.

"Oan your trolley, ya bawbag."

Two monster blocks from Gronk and Allen for winning TD

and a nice strong YAC move for 1st down by DA

The thing I appreciate about Dwayne Allen is you can tell he cares no matter how limited his role is.

For all the struggles he’s had in the catching department, he has MORE than made up for it in the blocking department. Dion owes him an IHOP breakfast for that beastly block.

He’s been an amazing teammate. It seems guys love to be around him. Always celebrating and congratulating guys. First to cheer on someone. This signing is a W in my book.

The thing I appreciate about Dwayne Allen is you can tell he cares no matter how limited his role is.

For all the struggles he’s had in the catching department, he has MORE than made up for it in the blocking department. Dion owes him an IHOP breakfast for that beastly block.

He’s been an amazing teammate. It seems guys love to be around him. Always celebrating and congratulating guys. First to cheer on someone. This signing is a W in my book.

I am just happy that the entire Allen saga might have opened the eyes for some people around here that you can contribute in different ways to a team's success. And just because it doesn't show in fantasy related stats it doesn't mean that it is less important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back