PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft prediction thread for round 1

I just wonder, if they get blown out at QB, whether the Texans might try something on Jimmy G. Not sure I'd like us to trade him there or what we might get but they were fans of JG in '14.

Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines as well. Or perhaps Arizona (#13 & #45) or 'Skins (#17 & #49). Patriots draftniks have been fixated on Cleveland as the trade partner. Because of the extra picks they have. But there are several QB needy teams and after Trubisky and Watson the QB class drops waaay off. (And I'm not sold on either of those guys either.)

But I'm not sure how the cap would work out for the 'Skins. If they cut Cousins does it save them all his cap space?

If the Pats are smart, some time during day one, they should release a photo of BB in the draft room with his feet up on a desk either taking a nap or looking bored and yawning.

Let's assume the Pats keep both Butler and JAG tonight. I wonder if there is any player who could potentially fall they would be willing to trade a future first (plus something else) to get tonight.

I doubt it as I think the 20-32 spots in this draft are not particularly strong with value players dropping (the value in this draft is later). But if they were to make some kind of deal i wonder who it would be for.

Edit: IMO the only ones who might have a shot are Hasson Reddick/Jared Davis LB. I don't seem them using so much capital on a DE or CB when so many good ones will be on the board later.

Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines as well. Or perhaps Arizona (#13 & #45) or 'Skins (#17 & #49). Patriots draftniks have been fixated on Cleveland as the trade partner. Because of the extra picks they have. But there are several QB needy team and after Trubisky and Watson the QB class drops waaay off. (And I'm not sold on either of those guys either.)

But I'm not sure how the cap would work out for the 'Skins. If they cut Cousins does it save them all his cap space?

An interesting idea I heard was that the Reskins have a top 10 grade on Trubisky and the theory was posited that they trade Cousins to SF for the no 2 and then take Trubisky.

Let's assume the Pats keep both Butler and JAG tonight. I wonder if there is any player who could potentially fall they would be willing to trade a future first (plus something else) to get tonight.

I doubt it as I think the 20-32 spots in this draft are not particularly strong with value players dropping (the value in this draft is later). But if they were to make some kind of deal i wonder who it would be for.

Well I think it will be a safety - either Maye or Melifonwu. That seems to be where they've been looking hard at 1st-2nd round prospects recently.

Well I think it will be a safety - either Maye or Melifonwu. That seems to be where they've been looking hard at 1st-2nd round prospects recently.

Well I am speaking solely tonight so someone who would be taken in the first round. 2nd round Maye is possible but I wouldn't do it in the first (I assume you wouldn't either). Melifonwu... I could see why they may do it but i just don't know how i would feel about that.

He seems like a boom or bust player. If I trade that much capital away I would hate to walk with anything but a virtually sure thing. That is why i thought of those 2 LBs. I just feel they are really solid and have a high floor so at least if you get something for such capital invested. Maybe he is more of a sure thing than i am giving him credit for though.

Last edited:
Well I am speaking solely tonight so someone who would be taken in the first round. 2nd round Maye is possible but I wouldn't do it in the first (I assume you wouldn't either). Melifonwu... I could see why they may do it but i just don't know how i would feel about that.

He seems like a boom or bust player. If I trade that much capital away I would hate to walk with anything but a virtually sure thing. That is why i thought of those 2 LBs. I just feel they are really solid and have a high floor so at least if you get something for such capital invested. Maybe he is more of a sure thing than i am giving him credit for though.

Melifonwu is the classic shoot for the moon prospect, yes, but he was also a four-year starter at an FBS level school. He may not have rare instincts at the position, but he was productive and can absolutely step into an NFL career as a starter. The intrigue is that he can also play corner and even linebacker. There's really no one else like him in the league; not only is a rare 3sigma athlete, but he has significant experience and polish on the field and showed in practices that he can play multiple positions at a competitive level.

We've talked all year about how our team is very well stocked. It seems like we can afford to gamble, if we acquire the resources for it.

I'm with Reamer on Melifonwu. Players like him are rare. There's some risk there but there's so much athleticism and versatility that I think it's a risk worth taking (and lets face it, most draft picks are risks to some degree). As for Maye, he's someone I've started to think more and more possible because I keep reading rave reviews about his character. I wonder if he's this years Su'a Cravens for BB.

This reminds me of Mark Barron. Spent most of the draft season as a top 40 type pick and then as the draft approached he started edging up boards. And then, in the final week, there started to be lots of top 10 buzz for him. And then of course, went in the top 10.

Yeah, they're going Garrett.

I predict too many QBs tonight. And that if there are four taken, only one of the four teams will have solved their woes, while the other three are back at square one by 2020.

Last second wild prediction just for the lulz: We trade Garoppolo and Gronk for #1 and #12. Twitter crashes in the ensuing media firestorm.

OK, for laughs I'll pop in with (as OTG may say) a "profoundly uninformed" 10 WAGs:

• Garrett #1, Adams #2, Fournette #4
• 3 QBs in first 13 picks - Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes
• Chicago trades out of #3
• McCaffrey to Panthers at #8
• New Orleans goes Barnett (DE) at #11 and best available CB with their next pick
• Rats get Lattimore at #6
• Howard (TE) goes in top 10
• Foster drops to mid-round and someone trades up for him
• Ratbirds take a Suggs/Dumervil type at #16
• McKinley (DE), Willis (DE), and Engram (TE) get picked

I guess I will call this the winner. Anyone think anyone else did better?

Thanks guys!

6060696683_16afbb92b6_z.jpg

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes