PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft prediction thread for round 1

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I think it would be fun to discuss and guess about this. Likely the Pats don't see round 1 cause i don't think any trades happen but it is fun to speculate.

Make any kind of predictions you want but if you need help I will give you some options you can use. All of this is just for round 1.

QB(s) taken: 2 Trubisky and Kizer
Biggest steal: Jonathan Allen to Jets #6
Biggest reach: Christian McCaffrey to Indy #15
Most drafted position: CB
Surprise player to drop out of the round: Marlon Humphrey - no real reason just too many damn CBs and some team will love the upside of Jackson and that will be enough to bump him out.

I think it would be fun to discuss and guess about this. Likely the Pats don't see round 1 cause i don't think any trades happen but it is fun to speculate.

Make any kind of predictions you want but if you need help I will give you some options you can use. All of this is just for round 1.

QB(s) taken: 2 Trubisky and Kizer
Biggest steal: Jonathan Allen to Jets #6
Biggest reach: Christian McCaffrey to Indy #15
Most drafted position: CB
Surprise player to drop out of the round: Marlon Humphrey - no real reason just too many damn CBs and some team will love the upside of Jackson and that will be enough to bump him out.

McCaffrey at 15 is absolutely not a reach. And 15 is his floor. Don't be surprised if he goes to Carolina at 8 - there's been a lot of rumours as to that. Also, Mahomes is 99.99 % going in round one.

I don't think this is really what will happen, but it's fun to consider, anyway:

• Browns take Trubisky at #1 instead of Garrett.
  • This snowballs into teams trading up:
  1. One team for Garrett
  2. Two other teams for QBs, worrying that they won't get their guy
  • 4 QBs go in the top 10
  • A dark horse emerges as a contender for Jimmy G, since all the draft options are exhausted, and even though he's technically not for trade, they offer an enormous ransom for his services

Yeahhhhh, not likely. o_O

Regarding the QBs, I expect Cleveland to trade up for the hometown boy, Buffalo to take Watson, Arizona to take Maholmes. If Buffalo doesn't take a QB I still think Cleveland and Arizona do.

Then there's a lull. Kizer, Davis, etc, may squeak into the late 1st round. More likely second.

Regarding Butler (not the point of the thread, but whatever), I keep reading the Saints are looking to "win now" so what they do or don't do at CB at #11 & #32 will be interesting for us. If they come out of Day One with no CB I could see them trading #76 and good picks next year for Butler on Friday morning. If they do draft a CB then that's probably off.

Last edited:
Every year thousands of Pats fans on this side of the Atlantic stay awake till 4am to see who the Patriots take in the first round, only to see us trade out of the round.

This year we'll all go to bed as normal, safe in the knowledge that we ain't picking till the 3rd. And we'll miss a blockbuster trade up into the first.

Every year thousands of Pats fans on this side of the Atlantic stay awake till 4am to see who the Patriots take in the first round, only to see us trade out of the round.

This year we'll all go to bed as normal, safe in the knowledge that we ain't picking till the 3rd. And we'll miss a blockbuster trade up into the first.

Not me. I'll be up for the duration. All three days.

Tony Pauline says Davis Webb will be off the board by the middle of round one.

If you know more or less all the players goin into the draft, from this side of the Atlantic, then you really dont care if or not Pats pick. You have a love for the game and spend to much time not to watch it.

Without knowing for sure, my guess who be that 80% of bostonian wont be able to give you 50 players, who may be selected this year. And they certaintly cant give you other teams needs and options, thats the thing we get as a bonus.'

Not me. I'll be up for the duration. All three days.

"No nights off!!!"

Photo of Manxman from this coming weekend has been found:

5678a2fba7495086e2e326bcb138b32d_-of-tired-weknowmemes-via-feeling-exhausted-memes_486-372.jpeg

Tony Pauline says Davis Webb will be off the board by the middle of round one.
I know he has a lot going for him but that would really shake things up. That would make for a decent chance of 4 QB by the 20th or so pick. Although if Watson gets by Cleveland (I think he's their second choice to Trubisky) and Buffalo then he could go a lot later than expected.

Regarding the QBs, I expect Cleveland to trade up for the hometown boy, Buffalo to take Watson, Arizona to take Maholmes. If Buffalo doesn't take a QB I still think Cleveland and Arizona do.

Then there's a lull. Kizer, Davis, etc, may squeak into the late 1st round. More likely second.

Regarding Butler (not the point of the thread, but whatever), I keep reading the Saints are looking to "win now" so what they do or don't do at CB at #11 & #32 will be interesting for us. If they come out of Day One with no CB I could see them trading #76 and good picks next year for Butler on Friday morning. If they do draft a CB then that's probably off.

The Saints have the #42, don't they?

You're not wrong. Hard to stay focused once the 6th and 7th round comes around. Well when I say hard, read that as impossible.

We'll probably watch about the first hour Thursday night, but won't stay up. Friday night, we may tune in around 8pm or so and watch till the Pats pick at #96.

Saturday will the the long one.

Quasi interesting trivia ...

At the moment, the two Ohio teams have the most draft picks - CIN and CLE with 11 each.

The two SB participants have the fewest - ATL and NE with 6 each.

Quasi interesting trivia ...

At the moment, the two Ohio teams have the most draft picks - CIN and CLE with 11 each.

The two SB participants have the fewest - ATL and NE with 6 each.

I didn't realise Cincinnati had that many picks. For obvious reasons, I've payed a lot less notice to mocks this year.

Yeah, I have my eyes on #76 and significant (read : #1) stuff next year as opposed to #42 and less next year.

Sorry. It didn't occur to me that you were thinking of 2018 picks. I totally misread that.

Sorry. It didn't occur to me that you were thinking of 2018 picks. I totally misread that.
Yeah, as I keep reading that N.O. is playing to win now, I figure that if we do something with Butler the less we take now, and the more later, the more likely to get them to do something. #76 being all from this year could be appealing to them but in a deep draft we'd still get an interesting player with more to come next year. Not a giveaway, though, I value Butler at the low salary this year.

OK, for laughs I'll pop in with (as OTG may say) a "profoundly uninformed" 10 WAGs:

• Garrett #1, Adams #2, Fournette #4
• 3 QBs in first 13 picks - Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes
• Chicago trades out of #3
• McCaffrey to Panthers at #8
• New Orleans goes Barnett (DE) at #11 and best available CB with their next pick
• Rats get Lattimore at #6
• Howard (TE) goes in top 10
• Foster drops to mid-round and someone trades up for him
• Ratbirds take a Suggs/Dumervil type at #16
• McKinley (DE), Willis (DE), and Engram (TE) get picked

OK, for laughs I'll pop in with (as OTG may say) a "profoundly uninformed" 10 WAGs:

• Garrett #1, Adams #2, Fournette #4
• 3 QBs in first 13 picks - Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes
• Chicago trades out of #3
• McCaffrey to Panthers at #8
• New Orleans goes Barnett (DE) at #11 and best available CB with their next pick
• Rats get Lattimore at #6
• Howard (TE) goes in top 10
• Foster drops to mid-round and someone trades up for him
• Ratbirds take a Suggs/Dumervil type at #16
• McKinley (DE), Willis (DE), and Engram (TE) get picked

I like all those.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes