PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Martin released by TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2012, Martin was great as a rookie, playing in all 16 games and gaining 1454 yds at a 4.6 YPA with 11 TDs, and 472 more yards receiving (adding a TD).
- In 2013, he missed the last 10 games with a shoulder injury (IR'd, finally in mid-November), that had caused his performance to deteriorate dramatically in the first six games of the season (456 yds, 3.7 YPA).
- In 2014, he missed 5 games with knee and ankle injuries and gained only 494 yds at a 3.7 YPA when he did play.

In 2015, he was great again(except for fumbling 5 times), playing in all 16 games, gaining 1402 yds at a 4.9 YPA, with 6 TDs, and adding another TD and 271 receiving yds.
- In 2016, he missed 6 games with a hammy issue, was benched for wk-16 after managing to gain only 421 yds with a 2.9 YPA, and then was suspended for PEDs (Aderall) for the final game and the first three games of 2017 (he went into rehab).
- In 2017, after missing three games on suspension, he managed only 406 yds at a 2.9 YPA, and was OUT 2 more games with a concussion at the end of the season.

In his 6-year career, Martin has had two very good seasons, and four in which he's gained less than 500 and missed, on average, seven games. And, at age 29, he's now been cut.

He's a good LB though and would instantly improve that corps unless his injury history has become too much for him to continue playing through.

I've never seen Cushing not injured, and it's the roids that are causing to be injured constantly.

Cushing injury history:
- 2009, played all 16 games, on the injury report with a foot issue almost all season
- 2010, suspended first four games for PEDs, played through a knee issue for the rest of the season
- 2011, played all 16 games, on the injury report several times with a knee issue
- 2012, missed 11 games on IR with a knee injury
- 2013, missed 9 games on IR with a knee injury
- 2014, missed 2 games with a knee issue
- 2015, played in all 16 games, on the injury report with various foot, ankle and hip issues
- 2016, missed 3 games with a knee issue
- 2017, suspended 10 games for PEDs, out 1 game with a concussion

Out of a possible 144 games, Cushing has missed 25 games with knee injuries, one with a concussion, and 15 games on suspension for PEDs. He turns 31 on July 24th.

Hightower has missed a total of 24 games out of 96 possible with various injuries. Hightower turns 28 on March 12th.

and bolden.

we a re currently 3 deep at RB. Doug martin hasn't had more then 450 yards in three years. We would be better off signing a UDFA rookie, unless doug martin comes at vet minimum with zero guarantees.
I hope they spend a decent mid-round pick on a back to compete with Gillespie. I’m not sure Burkhead will take a home-town discount after earning 4$ million. He just didn’t stay on the field enough but it would be surprising if another team offers him a big contract so who knows.

Martin could be a decent add to our offence. He doesn’t need to be a bell cow. All depends on the money IMO

I'd rather have Lewis.
But we been linked to Doug Martin before BB can talk to his buddy Greg and see what he has to say about Martin.
But for similar cash Lewis all day

Agree with the statement about the Lewis money. If it's a mil or two i can't see Lewis leaving unless someone gives him some stupid money.

Agree with the statement about the Lewis money. If it's a mil or two i can't see Lewis leaving unless someone gives him some stupid money.
IMHO, someone will be willing to pay one or two million more than we are willing to pay, or more.

Gillislee and Burkhead represent that kind of runner, but then it goes back to the McDaniels subbing of the RBs problem, where we'd need to use the 2 back set against good defenses who play good man coverage.

This is why Blount always would get subbed on and get stoned in short yardage. Defenses guessed right, mainly because subbing Blount on just for 3rd and 1s, was so obvious.

Against zone Ds or crap/mediocre Ds: 2 back set (not talking about a FB here) not as vital

Against good/great Ds with a rush and man coverage capability: Two back set is vital
I feel like other backs still gain that yard in obvious running situations though.

I forgot, is this a Doug Martin thread, a Brian Cushing thread, or a Jets hating thread?

Martin is worth a tire kicking. Hypothetically, he would be that kind of signing that could put up 1000+ yards or could get cut in camp.

Assuming that Lewis walks, there are several intriguing RB options in free agency. I would not be surprised if Belichick brings in Damien Williams given how badly he torched us in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes