PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dorsett, Calhoun, Munson

Status
Not open for further replies.
688 receptions 9330 yards 62 TDs

Agreed, I understand that the guy is coming off a significant injury, but even last year he put up 60 receptions and 700 yards playing for a bad qb and then picking up a new team and system the last 6 games.[/QUOTE]

No bubble here. Dorsett isn't Danny amendola but he's come up clutch a few times. He's solid depth

Any more info from that bunk report the Patriots would shop Edlman?
Makes 0 sense to me.

After catching up on two preseason games that happened during my vacation I think the WR battle is pretty much over.

Edelman, Harry, Gordon, Dorsett, Meyers, DT/Harris. And Slater as ST only player.

DT / Harris is a question of economics really. And if the team is fine with where DT is right now then he will push Harris off the roster. Similarly, Meyers is under contract longer than both of them and at his current level doesn't seem to be a downgrade from Harris.

If that is how the cookie crumbles the WR group is one of the best Brady has ever had. Once the coaches and players (mostly Harry, Gordon and DT) figure out their place and strengths this offense could be potentially ripping through opponents.

At this point I think the place where we will feel the lack of Gronk the most will be the running game.

I find it interesting that folks are so sure of Dorsett. What a difference a week makes for posters.

Almost no one has been willing to deal with the issues of numbers (excepting Andy). Having 6 WR's plus Slater is far from the norm. We need 4 WR's and a 5th could be on the PS (e.g. Berries and Patterson). Given the injury situations, and the fact that Gordon could be gone at any time, it seems reasonable to have the 5th EMERGENCY INACTIVE WR on the 53.

Folks have solved this by putting DT and/or Gordon on some list, having them unavailable for half the season.
=============
CONSIDER
If Dorsett is a lock, would we ever have Myers active. Edelman-Harry-Thomas-Gordon is plenty, and that leaves Dorsett inactive. Without one of the four not available, Dorsett is active. With FIVE active WR's, a bit heavy for most games, Dorsett should be active before Myers.

Are we all OK with having Myers on the 53 with little chance of him doing anything this year.

Dorsett definitely makes it. I could see both Calhoun and Munson making it, or just one of them . How bad is Calhoun's injury?

I find it interesting that folks are so sure of Dorsett

They've had their chances to get rid of Dorsett before and haven't done so.

That, and he came up large in the playoffs with strong performances against the Chiefs and the Chargers. I'm honestly not even convinced he was ever really on the bubble in the first place.

That, and Dorsett's stats last year tell an interesting tale. Did you know that he had the highest complete % per target of any Patriots wideout who had 25 or more targets? Sure, that's partly a factor of not being targeted that much but he made very efficient use of the targets he was given, and he fumbled exactly 0 times. In fact he's never fumbled in a Patriots uniform

They seem to have used Dorsett last year as a guy Brady could throw to to keep defenders honest when they started cheating in coverage against the primary receiver threats. And he was very efficient in that role.

He was used mostly between the 20s rather than as a red zone threat, but then he came up big in the red zone anyway in the playoffs. I think that shows they're increasing their trust in Dorsett over time. And if you look at the states, Dorsett has gotten better each year he's been here.

So far it seems to me that Dorsett's done everything that's been asked of him and has made steady improvements to his game. I think they value him a lot more than we do.

If they do cut him, I'm fine with it. In Bill We trust after all. But my impression is that the Pats FO are among Dorsett's biggest fans right now.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that folks are so sure of Dorsett. What a difference a week makes for posters.

Almost no one has been willing to deal with the issues of numbers (excepting Andy). Having 6 WR's plus Slater is far from the norm. We need 4 WR's and a 5th could be on the PS (e.g. Berries and Patterson). Given the injury situations, and the fact that Gordon could be gone at any time, it seems reasonable to have the 5th EMERGENCY INACTIVE WR on the 53.

Folks have solved this by putting DT and/or Gordon on some list, having them unavailable for half the season.
=============
CONSIDER
If Dorsett is a lock, would we ever have Myers active. Edelman-Harry-Thomas-Gordon is plenty, and that leaves Dorsett inactive. Without one of the four not available, Dorsett is active. With FIVE active WR's, a bit heavy for most games, Dorsett should be active before Myers.

Are we all OK with having Myers on the 53 with little chance of him doing anything this year.

???

Dorsett making it or not, and the numbers game at WR, have been topics of discussion and disagreement around here for weeks, with most people figuring that Dorsett would make the team and a decent chunk of people being skeptical, disagreeing, or hoping against it.

Having 6 WR's plus Slater is far from the norm.

If Dorsett is a lock, would we ever have Myers active. Edelman-Harry-Thomas-Gordon is plenty, and that leaves Dorsett inactive

The norm for the last 8-9 years has been Gronk on the roster. With him on the team you were less likely to go too much spread as his most impactful contribution was the uncertainty he gave the defense if what was coming up would be a run or a pass play.

Without him that layer falls away which is why I think it is much more likely we will see dramatically more 3 WR and 4 WR plays this year. Similarly, with Gordon you kinda keep yourself some additional depth as he could be theoretically gone at any point.

In other words this year I think it makes sense to go with 6 WR and I certainly wouldn't look into the past for historical guidance.

Last edited:
In all this we have not seen Thomas play a snap, how do we know he will fit. Yes, he has a track record but until he does something on the field I can't consider him a lock

The norm for the last 8-9 years has been Gronk on the roster. With him on the team you were less likely to go too much spread as his most impactful contribution was the uncertainty he gave the defense if what was coming up would be a run or a pass play.

Without him that layer falls away which is why I think it is much more likely we will see dramatically more 3 WR and 4 WR plays this year. Similarly, with Gordon you kinda keep yourself some additional depth as he could be theoretically gone at any point.

In other words this year I think it makes sense to go with 6 WR and I certainly wouldn't look into the past for historical guidance on.
That’s a good argument for keeping 5.
We are going with the assumption that keeping 6 means Thomas and Gordon are good to go.
So the 5th would probably be inactive behind Edelman Gordon Thomas Harry. So the 6th wouldn’t be activated unless we had 2 WR injuries.
Is the difference between the 6th and whoever would be in the PS factored in the chance of 2 injuries that big? For the WR4 role? Only after 2 injuries?

Also in the spread on passing downs where gronk was effectively a Wr the RB position can also factor in.

He is now my second favorite Munson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back