PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you WANT Mac Jones to start the next game? Not "will he start", but "SHOULD he start".

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you thinik Mac Jones should start after the bye?

• Hell no. We have seen enough and others may be better.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Yes, he's our best chance to win

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • No. We need to tank.

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Ray Lewis has killed many guys

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Yes. We need to tank!

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters
Why are we doing that? We can second guess every draft pick ever. No one in here was high on Howell.
I didn’t think QB was a draft priority but Howell was my guy if they were picking one that late. Didnt like the Zappe pick at the time. Felt it was a head scratcher…

Yes I’m salty. lol

My interpretation of that situation was that Bill actually wanted to win the game and knew that there was no shot in hell Mac was going to achieve it, so he made the switch. He looked at it and said "we have one drive left to win this and Mac is looking completely inept no matter what we do, I've gotta try something else if we want to actually win this." In reality, he probably should have recognized this with Mac earlier and made the switch before there was only one drive left.
Totally agree.

The deficit was a TD. 1 TD wins the Colts game. If BB really wanted to win you pull Mac after the 3rd quarter or after the 1st Pats drive that blew up in the 4th quarter. Changing your QB cold off the bench with zero timeouts and less than 2 minutes left is asking for a miracle.

I just don't think there's any benefit, either for Mac or for the team at this point, in playing Mac again. This does not mean I have any faith in any of the on-roster alternatives. I don't. Run out the string, try out younger players whom you would like to evaluate during actual games, make ALL decisions based entirely on how the team might look 2024 and years following, and hope for the highest draft pick you can get. This **** is over.

I didn’t think QB was a draft priority but Howell was my guy if they were picking one that late. Didnt like the Zappe pick at the time. Felt it was a head scratcher…

Yes I’m salty. lol
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
He's also been sacked 47 times. Next closest is Russell Wilson at 33. Mac Jones is 21. Patrick Mahomes 12.

I'd expect Howell to continue to improve though.
I think part of his sack problem early on was something a lot of young QB's struggle with when they start playing NFL football... not picking up blitz packages pre-snap in time and responding to what he's seeing like adjusting the protection or audibling into something else. Thought he did a decent job against us though. Their OL has also gotten a lot better I think.

First 6 games: 40 sacks
Last 3 games: 7 sacks

The TD throw against us beat a cover 0 package so I think he's getting better at it. Also beat Myles Bryant by 2 yards but that goes without saying.

Last edited:
Yeah, I posted a similar sentiment in another thread this morning. Many players on offense are free agents in 2024 and Mac's play is likely killing their free agent value. And even for those who aren't, I am sure they are tired of hearing "Mac has no weapons", "Mac can't overcome the lack of talent around him", etc. I would not be surprised if they became energized if the QB changes and they get the chance to possibly showcase that they're better than people think. Maybe the offense doesn't look all that different but at least there's a chance.
I think this very unlikely. Which offensive players, other than a couple Bill has shown great reluctance to play, do you believe have all this secret talent? I'd put in those younger players whom Bill has refused to give a freal chance, to see what they might (n.b.) be capable of before i'd repose any wasted hope in some Post-Mac Miracle among the present dismal offensive starters..

Lots of people calling to tank. How do we know they aren't?
didnt-think-so-morpheus.gif
You might be onto something. With just Mac, Bryant, and Achord you effectively torpedo all 3 phases. Masterful tanking in disguise.

He gives us our best chance to be successful next year.

I think part of his sack problem early on was something a lot of young QB's struggle with when they start playing NFL football... not picking up blitz packages pre-snap in time and responding to what he's seeing like adjusting the protection or audibling into something else. Thought he did a decent job against us though. Their OL has also gotten a lot better I think.

First 6 games: 40 sacks
Last 3 games: 7 sacks

The TD throw against us beat a cover 0 package so I think he's getting better at it. Also beat Myles Bryant by 2 yards but that goes without saying.
That’s a really good trend. I also noticed their top two RBs have 55 receptions combined. Nothing wrong with checking it down and living another day.

You might be onto something. With just Mac, Bryant, and Achord you effectively torpedo all 3 phases. Masterful tanking in disguise.
Maybe. We'd never know if Bill was tanking. The more I watch them unravel, the more I think it's a possibility.

I thought Zappe gave the Patriots a better chance to win

To me it was the equivalent of putting in a pinch hitter, bottom of the 9th and hoping he hits a homerun. I've only seen that happen one time in my life.

No. It is blatantly obvious watching the film that he simply has no idea of how the passing game works, what is trying to be accomplished and how to make decisions. It’s like asking should we start a corner who runs a 5.3 40

To me it was the equivalent of putting in a pinch hitter, bottom of the 9th and hoping he hits a homerun. I've only seen that happen one time in my life.
Then it gave the team a better chance to win than leaving 10 in.
Are you referring to Kirk Gibson?
The dude who was in the Sox 2-3 years ago and was on the Yankees this year, reserve OF, can’t remember his name did it. He was awful and pinch hit in that situation and I jokingly called the shot to my son and he did it.

Why are we doing that? We can second guess every draft pick ever. No one in here was high on Howell.

I wasn’t high on howell , really didn’t like any qb from last years class. but I couldn’t believe it when we took zappe with him still there. From what I remember he was mocked alot higher than 5th rd in most ones i read

im at a point where i dont care

They aren't picking up Mac's option, but he'll still be on the team next year possibly as the early season starter or backing up a veteran.. possibly a rookie, but i dunno, i think a red shirt year for rookie QBs is a good thing

Mac clearly cant get it done... that last interception he threw was just mind numbing

Zappe is a 3 foot turd, doesnt make much sense to play him when we know what he is and he wont generate any value in a trade... no team even wanted him when he was released to the entire NFL thru waivers.. they might keep him as a backup next year on practice squad, but if hes taking up a 53 man roster spot then whoever is GM is doing it wrong

Cunningham is a gigantic project, and appears to be more of a WR project who may be involved in some gadget type plays

Grier who knows.. would be nice to see him get some reps, granted the fanbase doesn't possess the patience to watch a new QB who only has a few weeks in the playbook go thru the growing pains, so might be doing Grier a disservice to subject him to the media and fans in what will likely continue to be a very rocky road for the team this year... after an offseason and training camp, have him come compete for the starting role against a high draft pick, Mac and Veteran

We should be spending at least 1 pick in the top 4 rounds every year on a QB until we find one... if they think there is an elite prospect within trade reach, then they need to do it. While the QB search goes on, they need to resolve the OL fiasco because it doesnt matter who your QB is if your line is giving up 60%+ pressure rates

then extend Barmore, Dugger, Onwenu, Trent Brown (no more than 2 years), Afernee Jennings, Jabril Peppers for your core with the new rookies this year and last.. and start putting this mess back together

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back