PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you WANT Mac Jones to start the next game? Not "will he start", but "SHOULD he start".

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you thinik Mac Jones should start after the bye?

• Hell no. We have seen enough and others may be better.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Yes, he's our best chance to win

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • No. We need to tank.

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Ray Lewis has killed many guys

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Yes. We need to tank!

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Please discuss what you WANT to happen, and why

not what you expect to happen.

What I was hoping to see was BB pick one quarterback as the starter and stay with that guy.

But yanking Mac Jones on a game-deciding drive was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen BB make. It's not that I'm a homer fan of Mac Jones, but no legitimate football HC does something like that. When you decide on which quarterback is to start, you stay with that QB and let him go through the trials. If he fails, ok, replace him, but don't start up a QB merry go round where you yank someone at any time. That's the best way to destroy a QB's confidence and prevent him from growing or learning.

No QB is going to be successful if he knows in the back of his head that he could be yanked at any time. He will play not to make mistakes, instead of playing to win.

So at this point to me, it's meaningless who starts. They're all broken.

What I was hoping to see was BB pick one quarterback as the starter and stay with that guy.

But yanking Mac Jones on a game-deciding drive was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen BB make. It's not that I'm a homer fan of Mac Jones, but no legitimate football HC does something like that. When you decide on which quarterback is to start, you stay with that QB and let him go through the trials. If he fails, ok, replace him, but don't start up a QB merry go round where you yank someone at any time. That's the best way to destroy a QB's confidence and prevent him from growing or learning.

No QB is going to be successful if he knows in the back of his head that he could be yanked at any time. He will play not to make mistakes, instead of playing to win.

Yeah, seemed like a very impulsive move. Obviously, I didn't disagree with it at the time because I was pissed about the throw, but, then again, I'm a fan, not the head football coach who has a chance to win a game. I'm sure either Bill or BOB called the fake spike play, but gave Zappe instructions to only throw it if the guy is open. That's another impulsive and desperate move by someone who has not been that way for the past two decades.

ray lewis GIF

Isn't one of the options: "yes, we need to tank"

In any case, I think that Jones should start. There is zero "football" reason to start anyone else. Tanking is NOT a football reason for Kraft. Satisfying the blood lust of the fans is not a football reason for Kraft. For Kraft and Belichick, this is really an easy question. Who is our best QB? He then should start. If he fails during the game, he can be pulled, just like a player at any position. Have players with minor injuries inactive if you wish. But, for Kraft and Belichick, when the game starts, they will try to win.

Many of us think that Belichick is over the hill because he looked in the eyes of Jones and saw nothing, and then chose to take a 1 in a 1000 hope that Zpaee could win the game. Whatever WE think, Belichick thought that Zappe had a better shot of winning.

Last edited:
No. He needs to sit right now regardless of how the team feels about him. QB's who are supposed to be leaders but look like they're going to bawl after losing and hearing all the media criticism need to be yanked out of the spotlight for a while.

My interpretation of that situation was that Bill actually wanted to win the game and knew that there was no shot in hell Mac was going to achieve it, so he made the switch. He looked at it and said "we have one drive left to win this and Mac is looking completely inept no matter what we do, I've gotta try something else if we want to actually win this." In reality, he probably should have recognized this with Mac earlier and made the switch before there was only one drive left.

Ray Lewis definitely killed a guy.

But either way, I'd take Mac out of the firing line and see what Grier has for now. Likely more of the same behind that O-line and with the shizzy play-calling, but you never know.

*Ahem* that was not the worst decision I have seen BB make post Brady there have been many too many to list.

This poll would be better without the "no, we need to tank" option.

I don't think he should start anymore or else the entire team might give up. Imagine how it feels to be the other 21 starters right now. If we had any other position making such huge gaffes they would be benched. RBs have been put in the doghouse for fumbling once for example. There shouldn't be a double standard for QB.

I don't think he should start anymore or else the entire team might give up. Imagine how it feels to be the other 21 starters right now. If we had any other position making such huge gaffes they would be benched. RBs have been put in the doghouse for fumbling once for example. There shouldn't be a double standard for QB.
Great take: we can honestly say Mac had his chances and failed.

Yeah, I posted a similar sentiment in another thread this morning. Many players on offense are free agents in 2024 and Mac's play is likely killing their free agent value. And even for those who aren't, I am sure they are tired of hearing "Mac has no weapons", "Mac can't overcome the lack of talent around him", etc. I would not be surprised if they became energized if the QB changes and they get the chance to possibly showcase that they're better than people think. Maybe the offense doesn't look all that different but at least there's a chance.

Ray Lewis definitely killed a guy.

But either way, I'd take Mac out of the firing line and see what Grier has for now. Likely more of the same behind that O-line and with the shizzy play-calling, but you never know.
That's where I'm at. Take him out of the firing line and the spotlight and let him cool off a bit.

Why not? Show me a better option and I wouldn't be against it.

Isn't one of the options: "yes, we need to tank"

In any case, I think that Jones should start. There is zero "football" reason to start anyone else. Tanking is NOT a football reason for Kraft. Satisfying the blood lust of the fans is not a football reason for Kraft. For Kraft and Belichick, this is really an easy question. Who is our best QB? He then should start. If he fails during the game, he can be pulled, just like a player at any position. Have players with minor injuries inactive if you wish. But, for Kraft and Belichick, when the game starts, they will try to win.

Many of us think that Belichick is over the hill because he looked in the eyes of Jones and saw nothing, and then chose to take a 1 in a 1000 hope that Zpaee could win the game. Whatever WE think, Belichick thought that Zappe had a better shot of winning.
I disagree with all of this. Football is a business. Kraft is first and foremost a business man. The time for trying to win has passed. Getting a handful of more wins will do absolutely nothing towards achieving the goal Kraft, as the Pats #1 fan, wanted: making the playoffs.

Losing on the other hand, will place the team in a better position for the future: having a top 3 pick. That's a business decision.

If in fact this is BB's last season with the organization, then losing is the right decision. Not sure it matters much for the OP's poll since they've been losing a lot w/ Mac, but I would bench him and start Grier or Malik to ensure the business decision is achieved (even Mac should beat the Giants).

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back