PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you WANT Mac Jones to start the next game? Not "will he start", but "SHOULD he start".

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you thinik Mac Jones should start after the bye?

• Hell no. We have seen enough and others may be better.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • Yes, he's our best chance to win

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • No. We need to tank.

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Ray Lewis has killed many guys

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • Yes. We need to tank!

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters
I see it this way. 10 has proven to me there is a 0% chance he can be the answer.
While Zappe and Grier hold little hope they haven’t proven its 0% yet.
Ok. 0.5 %

For the first time in at least 30 years, I just want this season to be over. You gotta go back pre- Bledsoe to the dark early 90's last time I felt like this.
I've been hanging on last few games just to watch the development of Douglas and Boutte and a few others.
I've seen enough. Both those guys are keepers.
Don't know if I'll even tune in to watch any more games.
I can't watch any more putrid qb play from this proud franchise.
There's building blocks and Gonzo,Judon and Marcus Jones will be back.
Sign or trade for a vet qb and hopefully draft Maye.
Don't know what quality fa wrs might be available. They really only need one.
Let Maye or whoever they draft sit behind an ok vet qb for a year and be ready to go in 2025.
Fill in the void with the C's and B's both are legit contenders.
Maybe the Sawx make some decent moves.
Hopefully get a solid replacement for Bill.

I voted Other. Season's a lost cause. Our OL sucks and passing out of the pocket is not tenable. Let's try something different and see what Malik Cunningham can do.

No. It’s sends a terrible message to the team. But I’m sure they already realize how dysfunctional it is anyways.

And then he throws into triple coverage.
That doesn’t mean he didn’t give us a better chance to win than 10, even in hindsight.

No. It’s sends a terrible message to the team. But I’m sure they already realize how dysfunctional it is anyways.

Yeah that's why I voted Hell No... He just doesn't deserve to start the next game. I still believe he should've finished the last game however, if only because of the come-back win vs Barfalo game last month, and that it was totally unfair to Zappy to throw him to the wolves like Bill did.

Jones gives us a better chance to win because he's the best QB on the roster. Which says more about the others than it does about him.
Not at that point in that game. In top of just plain sucking he was on the sidelines crying after handing the game away with one of the worst ints ever.
If every other qb on the roster was hurt we would have stood a better chance of winning with a DT at QB than 10

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Have you ever seen a football HC on any level, yank his QB right before a winning drive? That kind of move not only breaks the starting QB but puts an enormous amount of pressure on the backup who has to come in cold and pull off one flawless drive.

I agree that the decision should have been made long before that point.
The only time I can remember something like that working was with George Blanda for the Raiders in the early 1970s. The Raiders had a very good team at that point but Stabler wasn’t ready to start and Lamonica wasn’t effective in the 2 minute situation so this was extremely unique.

Watching the way Jones played the second half there was no way to think that after the INT he would shake it right off and lead them down the field in the final 2 minutes. Putting Zappe in was really the only option to pull out a win IMHO.

Jones’ big problem is not his weak arm, it’s his weak head and immaturity. He is not a leader and gives the team no reason to be confident he can make plays to win them games.

So for me it’s a big NO to put that guy back on the field again this next game or any other game unless forced to due to injuries

an expendable employee. Damn.

anyway, no. You check variables, especially when you're throwing away a no. 15 overall pick if you're wrong.

Fixing the offensive coaching staff and reinforcing the O line should show us a big improvement. If not, he's crippled without mega spend at WR... and that's bad. Actually, he's got guys who could be pretty effective if he is effective, in terms of weapons. But throw in a shiny toy if you really want to test the "Mac can't play after freshman year" hypothesis.

I think you're just wrong. Last year's not his cieling. OTOH... <gulp>... it might not be his floor either.
We threw away a #15 pick QB before (Eason) because he was not the guy to bring the franchise forward. We twice threw away a #1 pick QB (Plunkett and Bledsoe) because they were not the answer to the team's problems. And for those who say "we had Brady" when talking about Bledsoe, remember that Brady was not yet TOM BRADY but as still only Tom Brady, if you get my point.

When gambling you do not throw good money after bad money chasing your losses. Investing to build around Mac is just trying to recoup your losses. Time to get up and move to another table to lay down the bets.

Mac Jones might have a wonderful career as a backup QB on another team, but his mental fortitude and coachability might prevent that from happening. His temper tantrums last year, and his unwillingness to follow the instruction given to him by a qualified offensive coordinator this year does not help him. The job of a backup QB is actually more mentally demanding than that of a starter, to be prepared for anything and usually stand on the sideline with no personal satisfaction of going out and executing well. I do not thing Mac is mentally tough enough for this role.

When something doesn't work, have the courage and integrity to admit it does not work and move on to a new strategy. Mac does not work. Time to move on to a new strategy.

And for those who say "we had Brady" when talking about Bledsoe, remember that Brady was not yet TOM BRADY but as still only Tom Brady, if you get my point.
BB and Co absolutely knew what they had in Brady when they sent Bledsoe to Buffalo. He needed more development but they knew that they had a special player.

Both the anti-BB and pro-Zappe camps here are going to hate this, but I think this guy's video is a good presentation of reasons for optimism about Mac for next year:

The case for Crack smoking.

Try it, you'll like it.

This whole top 3 draft business is uncharted territory for a lot of fans. Brady prevented this team from ever sniffing bottom dweller standing.

The chance to get a “possible” player to change the franchise fortunes outweighs the need to go 7-10, miss the playoffs and get the 13th pick. I’ll take a blue chip prospect any day over a mid 1st round pick.

This team and fans have had enough winning to last a lifetime of memories. If you think about it, in Bradys time here he had more SB victories than the Chiefs, Steelers and Ravens combined.

This team never had to rely on top 10 picks or tanking the whole time he was here. There isn’t no shame on being at the bottom for a few years. They just have to capitalize and rebuild correctly off of this dry spell. It’s tough without a franchise qb to dig yourself out though.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back