PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we want Steelers out of playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
right, I am talking about us being the favorites obviously. We are not going to be out, but the Steelers still could get knocked out. If they are not knocked out I want them to be the 3 (provided we are the 1)
Just out of curiosity, what difference do you see it making if we play them in the divisional round (coming off of a bye), or one week later in the AFCCG?

I rather face the Steelers than KC I tell you that much, KC is scary good on defense and they are turnover machine, their offense is serviceable and can score well. Overall they are probably the most balanced team ATM.

Brady can score well vs the Steelers D, but I'm more concerned about the Steelers offense with a healthy Ben and Brown and of course Bell...those three can wreck a havoc.

This year the AFC is the most competitive division. Oakland, Patriots, KC, Steelers, Ravens until they lost last night.

The NFC only has Seattle and Dallas, GB has been shady all year and the Vikings got that 5 win fluke and ever since they looked awful.

KCs offense is very, very average. Does Alex Smith scare you more than Roeth?

Their run D went from sucky to ****ty once DJ blew is achilles.

Pitt is actually playing decent D now. Not enough to shut down NE but respectable.

LG left, LG right, LG center. Brady picks them apart...That'll do.

We handled the ravens last night but I still wouldn't want to see them again in the playoffs. Every game ends up close. I only want one of the afc north teams in as the 3 seed so we wouldn't have to see them until the conference championship. Dolphins get in as the 6 seed

Pretty sure we lock up the top seed with a win this week against the Broncos, or at least so says Florio and PFT.

Week 15 playoff scenarios
Not sure if he is wrong or his wording is poor.
But if we go 1-2 and Kc goes 3-0 we are the 2 seed.
Also even if Kc loses but Oakland wins we could end up tied at 12-4 with Oakland and lose the #1.

Not sure if he is wrong or his wording is poor.
But if we go 1-2 and Kc goes 3-0 we are the 2 seed.
Also even if Kc loses but Oakland wins we could end up tied at 12-4 with Oakland and lose the #1.
Thanks, man. It seemed a bit premature to me, as well.

Just out of curiosity, what difference do you see it making if we play them in the divisional round (coming off of a bye), or one week later in the AFCCG?
The Divisional Game is likely IMO the game we are more likely to play flat in... And also, the Steelers would have to win TWO playoff games to even get to the AFCCG, so more chance for them to be bested first.

It doesn't matter who you play you just have to win three in a row,and two will be at home in all likelihood. I'll take the Patriots against anyone in Foxborough and Belichick and Brady in any Super Bowl.

It doesn't matter who you play you just have to win three in a row,and two will be at home in all likelihood. I'll take the Patriots against anyone in Foxborough and Belichick and Brady in any Super Bowl.

One time they failed as the top overall seed. In 2010 i believe against the jests.

One time they failed as the top overall seed. In 2010 i believe against the jests.

You can fail anytime. There's always some luck involved in winning the Super Bowl, it rarely just goes to the best team. The likelihood of the Oatriots winning two home games in a row is about as high as it gets and having the greatest coach and QB playing in a championship game is always a big advantage so I will take the Patriots and won't worry about who they have to beat.

You can fail anytime. There's always some luck involved in winning the Super Bowl, it rarely just goes to the best team. The likelihood of the Oatriots winning two home games in a row is about as high as it gets and having the greatest coach and QB playing in a championship game is always a big advantage so I will take the Patriots and won't worry about who they have to beat.
Lots to like about your logic here, but I'm still a bit on the cautious side due to your point about needing the proper luck to win it all. In that same vein, matchups are very important and could potentially be the difference between winning and losing.

Just to throw out an example, do you think the Steelers go to the SB in 2005 if the Pats don't lose at Denver? How about 2008 when we didn't get in with the 11-5 record? Or even 2010 when we lost to the NYJ and they went on to the SB yet again by avoiding us?

The Divisional Game is likely IMO the game we are more likely to play flat in... And also, the Steelers would have to win TWO playoff games to even get to the AFCCG, so more chance for them to be bested first.
Valid point. So we should hope for BAL to win the division then? (I am)

Lots to like about your logic here, but I'm still a bit on the cautious side due to your point about needing the proper luck to win it all. In that same vein, matchups are very important and could potentially be the difference between winning and losing.

Just to throw out an example, do you think the Steelers go to the SB in 2005 if the Pats don't lose at Denver? How about 2008 when we didn't get in with the 11-5 record? Or even 2010 when we lost to the NYJ and they went on to the SB yet again by avoiding us?

I noticed that years ago as well. The Steelers shine whenever we are at a low point or are no longer standing in their way. I am well aware that we could lose to anyone outside of Cleveland(lol) but I really like our chances this year, especially against them. Beating the Steelers is Brady's thing just like struggling at Mile High.

If our team wants to be the champs than they need to defeat all comers.

If our team wants to be the champs than they need to defeat all comers.
That's the bold approach to take and it certainly isn't "wrong" on any level, but I want the easiest path to win a Super Bowl as possible, as would any rational fan.

My love for the team and hunger as a fan to see that 5th SB trumps any need for excitement. If I'm looking for thrills and nailbiting moments, I'll bring a hooker home for dinner tomorrow and see how my wife reacts.

I noticed that years ago as well. The Steelers shine whenever we are at a low point or are no longer standing in their way. I am well aware that we could lose to anyone outside of Cleveland(lol) but I really like our chances this year, especially against them. Beating the Steelers is Brady's thing just like struggling at Mile High.

I would prefer to avoid them, if possible. Not meaning to sound "scared" or anything, but I think getting a capable team like PIT out of the mix improves our chances greatly.

I'm also not the biggest fan of the past results equating to future ones theory, but I obviously get what you're saying with Brady's success against that team.

KCs offense is very, very average. Does Alex Smith scare you more than Roeth?

Their run D went from sucky to ****ty once DJ blew is achilles.

Pitt is actually playing decent D now. Not enough to shut down NE but respectable.

LG left, LG right, LG center. Brady picks them apart...That'll do.
Derrick Johnson's achilles injury is definitely being underrated. Their D doesn't scare me nearly as much with him out. Their pass rush will still be a challenge, and I worry a bit about what Chris Jones might do against our interior line, but I'd feel pretty good if we went against KC. Marcus Peters is good, but the Pats would burn him for a couple big plays, I bet. His aggression can be used against him.

If Baltimore wins out they will win their division. The Steelers or Dolphins could be 6th seed (If 6th seed advances #1 seed gets them in Divisional) If at 13-2 we have the 1 seed clinched, do we consider resting eveyone and not going all out against Miami? (Not trying to lose, but not too upset if we don't win)

If Pittsburgh is the number 6 seed, I see them advancing, so they would be our first play off game assuming we get the 1 seed. Just asking your thoughts... I normally hate thinking about losing to adjust your opponents, but I would not want to see them in the Divisional.

I know there are other possibilites happening in reality, I understand that, BUT if this was the situation... (we have the 1 seed at 13-2, we beat Dolphins, Pitt gets in at 6, or we lose, Dolphins get in at 6.) What do you think?
Ok in your scenario, steelers are 6, which makes ratbirds 3. They would play in wc round in Baltimore. Ratbirds swept ****sburg, and you think they will magically win the Wc round?

Guys, no offense, let's stop with these games of choosing opponent, the Pats needs to win out, that's the goal, we are in the ring business.

Let the sorry ass franchises like the Colts choose match ups because they stink.

Strange things happen in the tournament Sup e.g. The Giants winning two Super Bowls with teams no one would have picked to win. The bottom line is that it's essentially a three game tournament where you have no control over who you play and simply have to beat the teams you do play. The Patriots have won four Super Bowls with Brady and to do so they almost always had to beat a really good team to do so, off the top of my head beating the Rams, Panthers, and Seahawks were all major tasks, and the Steelers and Titans were no slouches, so if you want to be the best then you usually do have to beat the best, and if you can't then you weren't good enough in that tournament. Hoping to avoid good teams and tough opponents is simply no way to approach any tournament, being ready to play them and playing your best is the way to go. We go through these scenarios every year and I just don't care who they play anymore, and I enjoy the actual games where they do beat great teams, like 2014, much more than I do games against Jacksonville and the Tim Tebow Broncos.

I don't fear pitt and big ben in foxboro in jan. It's a different game in cold weather and the elements...ask peyton manning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe