PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless TC reveals something serious - Lewis should be ok. If he can recapture early 2015 form.......... wowza.
I agree. I've read numerous implications that he's getting cut, and I just don't see it unless he suffers something major in TC.He has certain gifts you just can't teach or necessarily develop. He's dynamic.

If someone wants to look beyond 2017, a guess from one would be just as good as another. But in the short term, Lewis is on the roster, IMO. The man scored 3TD's in three different ways in the AFCDG against one of the better and faster defense in the league. That was just a few months ago. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Zero percent chance he's on the bubble.

Gillislee takes Blount's spot and Burkhead takes probably Foster's spot who the Pats try to get on the PS.

They carried

Blount
White
Lewis
Foster
Bolden (Slater of the RBs)

in the playoffs

Gillisee
White
Lewis
Burkhead
Bolden

would be no difference

+1 for your sig.

Belichick has almost never spent much free agent money on running backs, or much cap money for that matter.

My conclusion is that folks here think that he spent over $3M of 2017 cap money for a special teamer and backup at both RB positions ( a replacement for Bolden as was indicated). IMHO, that's a LOT of cap money for Belichick.

Belichick has almost never spent much free agent money on running backs, or much cap money for that matter.

My conclusion is that folks here think that he spent over $3M of 2017 cap money for a special teamer and backup at both RB positions ( a replacement for Bolden as was indicated). IMHO, that's a LOT of cap money for Belichick.
I'd hope Foster makes the squad over Bolden.

I suspect that neither will make the roster. That roster spot will go to Develin. 4 running backs plus Develin is plenty. We now have Gillislee, White and Develin signed for 2017 and 2018. These 3 are plenty since we also have Lewis and Bulkhead.

Foster should be here until the final cut, in case of injury or an insurance that Lewis is back to start the season.

Bolden will also be here until the final cut, perhaps being the last STer cut, or perhaps replacing one of the special teamers. Belichick usually keeps 5-7 special teamers who do little else. Last year, we had Slater, Bolden, Ebner, King, J Jones and Grissom (also Freeny until he was injured).

They've never lost a game he's suited up. Keep him.

And we have a winner.

Freaky stat but true. Lewis is a great role player and he should be fully recovered. None of these RB's are going to put up huge numbers but as a group it could very well be the best backfield they have ever had. Love the skills, the versatility, and the redundancy of this group.

I have a feeling McD and Brady are licking their chops at all of the possibilities with this RB core, should be fun. DL is obviously a dynamic part of that, but if he gets hurt this season I could see BB moving on..

Corps. Like the Marine Corps. Not core... it's not like there is also a mantle and a crust of running backs built on top of them. They just sound the same.

Sorry man. Editor mode.

Last edited:
White is such an atypical back that I hardly consider him one. He's almost a gadget player.

Agree that White is not much as a runner, despite his big Super Bowl goal line runs, but one thing that makes White very much a running back and less a gadget player is his ability to protect the QB as a blocker. He is reliable in this area of his game, which is a very valuable skill for a back to have, especially in a pass first offense.

Perhaps. Good post Cousin. But.....You have four capable backs (plus two others that play roles)that have certain talents each. Some overlap.

Reading the tea leaves I think my scattered thoughts would be:
-They moved on from Blount. He had an offer on the table. He passed. He walked. They would have kept him.
-They has both Lewis and White as FA after 2017. The re-upped White not Lewis.
-Lewis is more injury prone could explain that.
-Gillislee and Burkhead have decent hands. Blount did not.
-But in the passing game that might take away touches from both Lewis and White.
-Burkhead and Gillislee on paper are better runners than White.
-Four guys with starting talent looking for touches might be best to "monetize" one and get value? Trade?
-Who might be the most logical to trade going into the last year of contract? Lewis
-But, who has shown the most pure talent to date? Lewis.
-Four guys with three under contract at decent CAP dollars. Do you re-up Lewis too?
-My quick thought is the Chargers lost Woodhead. What a pick up for them to add Lewis to Gordon.
-Would you let Lewis go for a third from the Chargers? In round three he is certainly more explosive than what is left for RBs and has NFL tape.
-You just re-upped Bolden and Devlin so there are two more RB's less likely to cut or trade.
DW Toys

I'm not sure I'd agree that Gillislee with 15 receptions over the last 2 seasons has "better hands" than Blount with 13 receptions in the last 2 seasons. Suffice to say though that Blount USED to be a 5 yard a carry RB. Now he's down to 3.9 (which I think is a bit unfair a comparison anyways as he scored 18 TDs mostly in very short yardage - so that's bound to skew the stats)

So I'd agree with those who say Gillislee replaces Blount and is an improvement (though again - 18 TDs for Blount - Damn!)

I still think Lewis has too much talent just to cut - he's very tradeable and unless GMs are totally freaked by his injury history, if more than one GM wants him I can see the bidding going up to a 2nd rounder if they think they can re-up him past this season for reasonable money

We shall see - I'm zen with the notion that BB will restock his roster as he does even in years he's got 1st and 2nd round picks. "His guys" are quite often found in the later rounds and as UFA rookies. We've got very very limited roster spots anyways.

You gotta love his "win now" approach but with the cap so well managed, he's not mortgaging the future even as he eschews the high draft pick crapshoot and stocking up on proven affordable veterans instead.

The notion of Butler staying is fantastic - but unless they get a 2nd round offer for Lewis I'd prefer to hold him as late pre-season trade bait or depth (which they hopefully won't need)

I agree with you thoughts, but I'm not following the math.

Gilleslee has a 4m dollar cap hit and Burkhead is 3.15m dollars. Am I incorrect with these figures?

Corps. Like the Marine Corps. Not core... it's not like there is also a mantle and a crust of running backs built on top of them. They just sound the same.

Sorry man. Editor mode.

Been biting my tongue on this one for years, if only because so many people say it that I'd be posting that 5 times a week.

And we have a winner.

Love....... the redundancy of this group.

Yes we DO have a winner.....
And it's your last line, "..love the... redundancy of this group."

Best line I've seen in any post here in a while. Made me chuckle. What makes it funny is it's also the truth.

They won't be directly competing with each other for a roster spot.

Bolden is a special-teamer, not an RB. Foster is a 3rd-down/receiving RB (almost a slot receiver), and not a special-teamer.

If Foster is competing with anyone for a roster spot, it's Lewis.

They've never lost a game he's suited up. Keep him.

The Patriots are 26-1 in games in which Andrews and Brady start. Yet many here would happily replace Andrews.

Ironically the one Andrews/Brady loss is the Seattle game in which Lewis was healthy, but still inactive.:mad:

I really hope DJ Foster packs on some more pounds and girth he looked like a WR last year instead of a RB. We saw signs last TC and Preseason the talent is there especially as Receiver but does he have he body that can take NFL pounding??

Last year, we had Slater, Bolden, Ebner, King, J Jones and Grissom (also Freeny until he was injured).

They also had Mingo - 2nd in ST snaps, 4th in ST tackles. And Chung kicked in 201 ST snaps in addition to playing nearly every defensive snap (a bit overworked, IMHO).

Actually, aside from Jon Jones (and Freeny), all the other guys on your list are UFA at the end of the season.

With Slater turning 31 and Bolden perhaps seeming a bit reluctant to re-up this season, ST could be an issue in 2018.

OTOH, there are a couple-three deep backups who aren't significant ST contributors who could be replaced with better backup who ARE solid special teamers through this draft. Given what BB has already accomplished with 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks this year, re-stocking the ST cupboard with 2-4 upgraded backups would probably make this a successful draft right there.

The Patriots are 26-1 in games in which Andrews and Brady start. Yet many here would happily replace Andrews.

Ironically the one Andrews/Brady loss is the Seattle game in which Lewis was healthy, but still inactive.:mad:

Phew! if he was Inactive then it doesn't count against his streak.;)

I really hope DJ Foster packs on some more pounds and girth he looked like a WR last year instead of a RB. We saw signs last TC and Preseason the talent is there especially as Receiver but does he have he body that can take NFL pounding??

OTOH, Arizona State was in the process of converting him to slot receiver during his last season there. Perhaps he completes that process this season and becomes the Pats next great slot guy in 2018.

Honestly if they told me they were signing Blount to play Develin's role I'd be happy about it. No doubt that Blount could fill in at fullback, and with his speed and power, he might even be really good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back