PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way Lewis does not make the team is if they find someone better to take his place.

This RB group has me really excited.

Keep him and hope he stays healthy!
I know I am in the minority, but I could see him being used as trade bait in this Draft. Not that he isn't good, but you added two more who can catch, reupped White and Lewis is a FA after this year.
A Team like the Chargers who just lost Woodhead could use a back to compliment Gordon, or the Eagles who have the 33 year old Sproles to replace sooner than later. I have a proposal that trades Lewis to the Eagles for Mychal Kendrick, a young, fast coverage LB who can help our Team in 2017 and perhaps he starts NOW. Rather than have Lewis with less carries for sure this year, optimize his value.
DW Toys

I have a feeling McD and Brady are licking their chops at all of the possibilities with this RB core, should be fun. DL is obviously a dynamic part of that, but if he gets hurt this season I could see BB moving on..

@DW Toys But at what compensation I would not Trade him away for anything less than a Fourth Rounder. I know the Pats like having Two very capable scat backs at the position knowing how important it is to our Offense. That said both Burkhead and Gillislee may have better than average hands and could be factors in our passing game. I think one of the reasons why they moved on from Blount is when he was in there you knew what was coming...these two guys not so much. DC's are going to have their work cut out for them Scheming against the 2017 N.E. Patriots baring injuries. It's not pick your poison...It's more like pick your poisons.

if white gets injured? you have lewis (and vice versa)

same w/ the power runners

we have 2 of each, the receiving/elusive back and the power back, not bad ot have two of each

we keep all 4

Especially with White having such great hands/almost a receiver.

Maybe one of these RBs (who I consider to be overpaid JAGS) will prove me wrong, but as of now I think Lewis is the most talented back we have. I must admit White made one of the biggest leaps I have ever seen from a player last year. He was useless prior to 2016 and one of the bigger reasons we lost the AFC Championship to Denver. Honestly, I was surprised he was still on the roster to start last season. Maybe he, or another guy makes a jump. As of now I think Lewis is the best. If they are going to start cutting backs or storing them on the PS they should start with Bolden. Senseless depth signing.

Maybe one of these RBs (who I consider to be overpaid JAGS) will prove me wrong, but as of now I think Lewis is the most talented back we have. I must admit White made one of the biggest leaps I have ever seen from a player last year. He was useless prior to 2016 and one of the bigger reasons we lost the AFC Championship to Denver. Honestly, I was surprised he was still on the roster to start last season. Maybe he, or another guy makes a jump. As of now I think Lewis is the best. If they are going to start cutting backs or storing them on the PS they should start with Bolden. Senseless depth signing.

I agree and I like that they're going with more veteran guys because they have such an important role in pass blocking assignments in this complex offense... we all gleefully remember what happens when a RB blows a blocking assignment..

Not to mention our last two 3rd down style RBs that we drafted didn't really contribute and start performing at a high level until the last year of their rookie deal. Vereen completely missed the first 2 years of his career on IR, then broke his wrist in his 3rd year and missed extensive playing time.. then in his final 4th year, he lights it up and is a key cog in our offense... then leaves to the Giants! :mad: James White was oft injured and was never much of a contributor until last year, the final year on his deal which earned him a nice raise. (His performance in the SB certainly didn't hurt his leverage)

I'd keep all of them and prepare for a nice ground attack to compliment Brady's ridiculous riches of weapons.. GO FOR SIX

Last edited:
We might as well be comparing RB and WR in some ways - because Dion Lewis as more of a pass catching RB shouldn't be considered the same position as a Gillislee or Burkhead

2015 (49 running plays and 36 catches) is probably most indicative of Lewis' skills set with a nearly equal number of rushing attempts and catches (a little less so in his injury shortened seasons but his stats still weren't that bad)

Gillislee (101 rushes, 9 receptions) - and to a lesser degree Burkhead (74/17)- can catch some passes but are more pure runners rather than the valuable hybrid that Lewis is

Gillislee stands to replace Blount (and at 5.7 yards a carry he would MORE than do that - which is why he was such a big signing) whereas Burkhead may be more like Lewis-lite, and ready to step in if Lewis has another injury

If anything, assuming White is healthy and takes on the bulk of RB pass catching, I suppose he's potential trade bait even into the pre-season (would love to get some OL depth for him) so I guess that puts him on the bubble, but he's really not competing with Gillislee in my opinion

If he's not traded - and again, I think he actually has significant value to a team in need of his skill set - as he'll do it well - then it really just comes down to camp and how many rookies might be vying for a roster spot

Personally I love the guy - but almost like getting Wes Welker for a 2nd rounder, I think teams know that they're getting some proven production

That's worth more than 4th rounder in my opinion (I know we all over-value our own players trade value, but if teams don't offer at least that I'd prefer to keep him, as I love him as a player.)

James White was oft injured and was never much of a contributor until last year, the final year on his deal which earned him a nice raise. (His performance in the SB certainly didn't hurt his leverage)
Actually, last year was only White's 3rd season, so he wasn't in the last year of his deal. He really didn't have any leverage whatsoever. The team offered him an early extension.

White played well last season and he came up huge in the Super Bowl, but I can't help but think his value is being inflated a bit because of that game. It reminds me a little of Vereen, who didn't do much of anything his entire career except for that Super Bowl, and that caused everyone to look back on him with rose-tinted glasses when the time came for him to go. White's a different, more useful player than Vereen who does what he does well extremely well, but he's also limited in some fundamental ways. He's a running back who can't run at all, for instance.

White played well last season and he came up huge in the Super Bowl, but I can't help but think his value is being inflated a bit because of that game. It reminds me a little of Vereen, who didn't do much of anything his entire career except for that Super Bowl, and that caused everyone to look back on him with rose-tinted glasses when the time came for him to go.

Vereen didn't do much of anything here before the Superbowl? We aren't talking about Brandon Bolden here. He was a very good receiver and a pretty decent CoP runner here. Vereen was a more accomplished runner than White here and still is.

White's a different, more useful player than Vereen who does what he does well extremely well, but he's also limited in some fundamental ways. He's a running back who can't run at all, for instance.

You can argue fairly easily White is the better receiver and Vereen the better runner. White has room to grow as a runner but for all we know he could be the next Larry Centers. All pass no run which is what the team seems to be ok with.

I think BB looks at a player's value at a few levels. Dependability, reliability, consistency and production are the core tenants to player evaluation and value to the team. With that said, if such player steps up in big games, that is another attribute that he takes into account. For example, I think one of the main reasons DA is still here is he is ridiculously clutch in the playoffs. I think BB wanted to keep Vereen not only for his production in the reg season but what he did in the SB but the price went too high and the team felt Lewis and eventually White would fill the role...and he was right. He knows what he has in White which is a pretty important player in this offense who plays big in big games.

@DW Toys But at what compensation I would not Trade him away for anything less than a Fourth Rounder. I know the Pats like having Two very capable scat backs at the position knowing how important it is to our Offense. That said both Burkhead and Gillislee may have better than average hands and could be factors in our passing game. I think one of the reasons why they moved on from Blount is when he was in there you knew what was coming...these two guys not so much. DC's are going to have their work cut out for them Scheming against the 2017 N.E. Patriots baring injuries. It's not pick your poison...It's more like pick your poisons.

Perhaps. Good post Cousin. But.....You have four capable backs (plus two others that play roles)that have certain talents each. Some overlap.

Reading the tea leaves I think my scattered thoughts would be:
-They moved on from Blount. He had an offer on the table. He passed. He walked. They would have kept him.
-They has both Lewis and White as FA after 2017. The re-upped White not Lewis.
-Lewis is more injury prone could explain that.
-Gillislee and Burkhead have decent hands. Blount did not.
-But in the passing game that might take away touches from both Lewis and White.
-Burkhead and Gillislee on paper are better runners than White.
-Four guys with starting talent looking for touches might be best to "monetize" one and get value? Trade?
-Who might be the most logical to trade going into the last year of contract? Lewis
-But, who has shown the most pure talent to date? Lewis.
-Four guys with three under contract at decent CAP dollars. Do you re-up Lewis too?
-My quick thought is the Chargers lost Woodhead. What a pick up for them to add Lewis to Gordon.
-Would you let Lewis go for a third from the Chargers? In round three he is certainly more explosive than what is left for RBs and has NFL tape.
-You just re-upped Bolden and Devlin so there are two more RB's less likely to cut or trade.
DW Toys

Burkhead may replace Bolden. He's a core special teamer but has far higher upside on offense.
Yeah, I think that Bolden may have been re-signed simply in order to serve as an insurance policy throughout training camp. If all of Gillespie, Burkhead, White, Lewis & Devlin escape TC unscathed, then Bolden will most likely be cut, with little if any cap consequences.

The thing about James White is that he barely gets in touches in the ground game. We're talking about a guy who has 145 targets in 33 career games, compared to just 70 rush attempts. In many ways he is more of a hybrid WR than an actual RB.

For that reason alone I don't look at our RB situation as "overcrowded". White is such an atypical back that I hardly consider him one. He's almost a gadget player.

Lewis, on the other hand, is a legitimate threat both on the ground and through the air. I hardly consider him redundant compared to White. White is a better receiver, but Lewis is more versatile and well-rounded.

If he can return to pre-injury form, we'll be more than happy to see him on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call