PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the age of 33, my fear is Rob Ninkovich loses his legs.
I share your concern and I agree that it will be a compelling storyline throughout the summer, but he was still a starter in the SB, and while the position was addressed (thankfully), I'm not going to bump him off the roster just yet based on the addition of a couple of mid round rookies.

Ninkovich still has enough to offer that he may get the benefit of the doubt for one last year while they transition to the rookies (or extend Ealy, who right now isn't even on the same level as Sheard was, especially in our defense). Like I said, I think the hope is always there that a cheaper, younger player can take over and make the vet expendable, but I also think that there are some traits that Belichick values in his football players that just can't be measured in the normal ways that we tend to look at things as fans.

I share your concern and I agree that it will be a compelling storyline throughout the summer, but he was still a starter in the SB, and while the position was addressed (thankfully), I'm not going to bump him off the roster just yet based on the addition of a couple of mid round rookies.

Ninkovich still has enough to offer that he may get the benefit of the doubt for one last year while they transition to the rookies (or extend Ealy, who right now isn't even on the same level as Sheard was, especially in our defense). Like I said, I think the hope is always there that a cheaper, younger player can take over and make the vet expendable, but I also think that there are some traits that Belichick values in his football players that just can't be measured in the normal ways that we tend to look at things as fans.
I don't want to see Rob Ninkovich attempt to cover running backs out of the backfield at his advanced age.

Brandon Bolden is currently paid the minimum base salary.

www.patscap.com

Hardly a vote of confidence from management.
Like I said, we can get a hint on whether or not a player may make it based off of their salary, but I'd be cautious about mixing up importance to the team and value. They are two totally different things.

We've certainly seen plenty of examples where the player making less money made the player making more money expendable, so I'm not sure that I see the point that Bolden won't make the team because he isn't making as much as some other ST only players, or even RBs.

Like I said, we can get a hint on whether or not a player may make it based off of their salary, but I'd be cautious about mixing up importance to the team and value. They are two totally different things.

We've certainly seen plenty of examples where the player making less money made the player making more money expendable, so I'm not sure that I see the point that Bolden won't make the team because he isn't making as much as some other ST only players, or even RBs.
Seems as if Bill Belichick is all in on Rex Burkhead.

I don't want to see Rob Ninkovich attempt to cover running backs out of the backfield at his advanced age.
I think we've all felt this way for quite sometime, though. There's usually a role for a versatile vet, particularly while the new players do/do not develop. I don't think anyone was too excited about the prospect of seeing Chris Long cover guys out of the backfield last year.

I'd also be cautious of having the SB touchdown in your mind, where Ninkovich got torched. I'm not sure there would have been too many DEs who would have made a difference there, if any at all.

I think we've all felt this way for quite sometime, though. There's usually a role for a versatile vet, particularly while the new players do/do not develop. I don't think anyone was too excited about the prospect of seeing Chris Long cover guys out of the backfield last year.

I'd also be cautious of having the SB touchdown in your mind, where Ninkovich got torched. I'm not sure there would have been too many DEs who would have made a difference there, if any at all.
Kyle Van Noy is the man for the job!

Seems as if Bill Belichick is all in on Rex Burkhead.

Maybe. Even Burkhead will need to earn his job and Belichick still has the ability to absorb his dead cap hit of around one million dollars. Is it likely? Of course not, but Burkhead isn't just going to show up and be handed any roles. After all, it's still a one year deal with an absorbable dead cap hit. Obviously, that's not the plan and we all know that, but let's not act as if Rex Burkhead is going to be the savior to our RB corps.

Much more importantly, a guy like Brandon Bolden isn't only battling Burkhead for a roster spot. It's not exactly one versus the other. There are other ST only positions available, as always.

That's your presumption, it's not how I see it at all. I think Bolden is going to be cut.
He did just re-up a handful of weeks ago.

This is like the "Slater is going to be cut" stuff for the few years he was here. Bolden's not going anywhere.

This is like the "Slater is going to be cut" stuff for the few years he was here. Bolden's not going anywhere.

Slater is an all-pro being paid top money for a special teamer. Bolden was signed for a minimum salary. The situations are not the same. Please be prepared; the team might sign several more free agents at minimum salaries. None will be in any way guaranteed, or even likely, to make the 53.

Bolden is a STer and an emergency RB. THREE RB's have recently been signed for $3M or more. Bolden isn't of much value as a backup running back. Bolden will need to beat out STer's, including one that Belichick traded for, using a 5th rounder.

Ross Ventrone says "hi" and adds that Bolden's re-upping obviously gives him job security.

Quality Problems, when we spend 8 pages arguing which of our proven, effective and affordable players needs to get cut.

Is there any other fan base debating the #5 and #6 RB spot on the depth chart, and which of their overqualified candidates should be cut? Lewis would be a featured 3rd down back for almost any other team. Bolden would be a core ST player on any team, period.

I've just decided to stop over-thinking it. There is no answer to the problem of fitting all this talent onto the 53-man. Heaven forbid that one of the UDFA rookies shows up in TC, because it will cost some deserving and high quality veteran his job. The roster has no fat or flab anywhere. Everyone brings something. Everyone contributes.

The only thing to do is just keep all the RBs for now, and hope that some fluke injury in TC solves the problem for us. Best case (worst case) is that we have too many quality players at the time when we have to do cut-downs, and then BB will just have to make a tough decision. Maybe flip a coin or draw straws.

How long did we regret losing Jamie Collins? How long did we get stressed at losing Gronkowski to injury? How problematic was it for the team that TB12 was suspended for XX games? When our best players are out or gone, the team keeps chugging along, because our depth chart is stacked with starting quality players trained in the system.

Trading any of our superfluous talent for draft picks is pointless, since adding another rookie that has no chance to make the roster creates no value for the team. Cap savings is not a consideration, since there's plenty of room available under the cap, more available to be spent, and looks healthy well into the future too.

BB has said he's at that stage in his career, when he can choose which players he wants to coach. That's the new tie breaker. Not skills, scheme fit, talent upside or contract. You wouldn't even be in the conversation if those aren't already solved. Does Coach like you?...like, as a person. That's where roster decisions have gotten to.

The cup runneth over. There's nothing more to be done. Just enjoy it. We need to find other things to argue about.

I've just decided to stop over-thinking it.

Bingo.

I realize that we are now in that 2-3 month hole where nothing worthy of discussion happens but it is just pointless to start projecting things when we don't even have the full team assembled yet. Furthermore, as every other team we will most probably have some situations resolve themselves via injuries.

I get it that with the SB win, the FA haul and the draft being fresh people are desperate to talk about the Patriots but at this point you just gotta chill and see how things unfold until the end of July.

Imho, Johnathan Jones might have surpassed Bolden in the STer depth chart.

He and Slater were the stars. Bolden's decreased number of tackles proves it, somewhat.

If i had to bet, Bolden doesn't make it to the 53 this year

No one is suggesting trading a RB from the 90 man roster.

The only trade that has been suggested is late in the pre-season, if all are healthy and performing.

Apparently your solution in that situation is to flip a coin and cut one of the RB's at that point, since draft choices are worthless.

Quality Problems, when we spend 8 pages arguing which of our proven, effective and affordable players needs to get cut.

Is there any other fan base debating the #5 and #6 RB spot on the depth chart, and which of their overqualified candidates should be cut? Lewis would be a featured 3rd down back for almost any other team. Bolden would be a core ST player on any team, period.

I've just decided to stop over-thinking it. There is no answer to the problem of fitting all this talent onto the 53-man. Heaven forbid that one of the UDFA rookies shows up in TC, because it will cost some deserving and high quality veteran his job. The roster has no fat or flab anywhere. Everyone brings something. Everyone contributes.

The only thing to do is just keep all the RBs for now, and hope that some fluke injury in TC solves the problem for us. Best case (worst case) is that we have too many quality players at the time when we have to do cut-downs, and then BB will just have to make a tough decision. Maybe flip a coin or draw straws.

How long did we regret losing Jamie Collins? How long did we get stressed at losing Gronkowski to injury? How problematic was it for the team that TB12 was suspended for XX games? When our best players are out or gone, the team keeps chugging along, because our depth chart is stacked with starting quality players trained in the system.

Trading any of our superfluous talent for draft picks is pointless, since adding another rookie that has no chance to make the roster creates no value for the team. Cap savings is not a consideration, since there's plenty of room available under the cap, more available to be spent, and looks healthy well into the future too.

BB has said he's at that stage in his career, when he can choose which players he wants to coach. That's the new tie breaker. Not skills, scheme fit, talent upside or contract. You wouldn't even be in the conversation if those aren't already solved. Does Coach like you?...like, as a person. That's where roster decisions have gotten to.

The cup runneth over. There's nothing more to be done. Just enjoy it. We need to find other things to argue about.

White played well last season and he came up huge in the Super Bowl, but I can't help but think his value is being inflated a bit because of that game. It reminds me a little of Vereen, who didn't do much of anything his entire career except for that Super Bowl, and that caused everyone to look back on him with rose-tinted glasses when the time came for him to go. White's a different, more useful player than Vereen who does what he does well extremely well, but he's also limited in some fundamental ways. He's a running back who can't run at all, for instance.
This sort of nonsense went on when he was here as well. Vereen's last 2 years with the club: 47 receptions (in 8 games) and 52 receptions. He also averaged 4.3 yards a carry although he was never meant to a pure runner. And of course, the SB year, he had 21 receptions in 3 games. Vereen was a fine player while here, and his performance in the passing game rivaled Kevin Faulk.

How many punts has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career? How many field goals has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career? How many punt returns does Brandon Bolden have in his career? How many kickoff returns does Brandon Bolden have in his career?

www.nfl.com/player/brandonbolden/2532797/careerstats

Not that I care much about Bolden but you should really not rate palyers based on career stats - especially core ST players.

Bolden had some significant plays down the stretch in 2014 and 2015 for us on ST. Also he knocked Avril out of SB49. As has been repeated many times he most probably won't have a spot on the roster this year unless a core ST player like Ebner or Slater gets injured. But even if everyone makes it through TC healthy he will most probably stick around on the shadow roster throughout the season and be called upon if needed.

Last edited:
This sort of nonsense went on when he was here as well. Vereen's last 2 years with the club: 47 receptions (in 8 games) and 52 receptions. He also averaged 4.3 yards a carry although he was never meant to a pure runner. And of course, the SB year, he had 21 receptions in 3 games. Vereen was a fine player while here, and his performance in the passing game rivaled Kevin Faulk.
You were doing great until your last 10 words. The rest of the post I agree with, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents