PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You presume that the roster spot would have more value with Lewis (as our #4 RB) rather than using the position at TE, OG or on defense.

That's your presumption, it's not how I see it at all. I think Bolden is going to be cut.

That's your presumption, it's not how I see it at all. I think Bolden is going to be cut.

I had him cut last year.
Doubling down this year. Eventually I'll be right!
Seriously if Burk is the RB we think he is he only needs to be an adequate ST alternative to Bolden and Bolden is done.

There are players currently signed that can replace Bolden's production on ST (e.g. Burkhead most prominently) and perhaps offer more on the offensive side.

Gillislee is an upgrade to Blount

Burkhead is a possible upgrade to Bolden

White will be asked to split reps and touches with Lewis, even as a starter.

Dion isn't redudant in the backfield. He has a niche and role that makes him a valued contributor. I expect him to remain signed for at least this season (barring a major preseason injury)
Brandon Bolden
2016 NFL Season
Games 14, Tackles 4

www.nfl.com/player/brandonbolden/2532797/careerstats

Brandon Bolden
NFL Career
Games 67, Tackles 19

Rex Burkhead
2016 NFL Season
Games 16, Tackles 13

www.nfl.com/player/rexburkhead/2539265/careerstats

Rex Burkhead
NFL Career
Games 42, Tackles 29

James O'Shaughnessy
2016 NFL Season
Games 16, Tackles 8

www.nfl.com/player/jameso'shaughnessy/2553318/careerstats

James O'Shaughnessy
NFL Career
Games 23, Tackles 8

Last edited:
I do think that Nink is on the bubble. Love him as a player but he needed every ounce of athleticism he has to make it, and I think he's lost enough to make it tough to make this team. Sucks, but that is life in the NFL.

I don't think Edelman is done, I think the options they have can reduce his workload and extend his career a couple of years.

The redundancy Belichick has built into this roster is one of their greatest strengths, and it is going to carry them to #6.

It's bad scheduling for the rest of the East that they face the Patriots down the stretch because that's when they play their best football, and they are so much deeper than any of those teams that injury won't cripple them the way it does most teams.

I pity the fool.........

Not really. It represents his value to the team which includes ST and RB

Only to the degree that, if, say, O'Shaughnessy represents equal or better ST value AND better TE value, AND it's come down to that one roster spot for final cuts. But, then, the same could be said of Harvey Langi, DJ Killings and most of the other 2017 UDFA signings.

Basically, Bolden's value as an RB is minimal - which is precisely what I've been saying consistently.

Brandon Bolden
2016 NFL Season
Games 14, Tackles 4

Brandon Bolden
NFL Career
Games 67, Tackles 19

Rex Burkhead
2016 NFL Season
Games 16, Tackles 13

Rex Burkhead
NFL Career
Games 42, Tackles 29

James O'Shaughnessy
2016 NFL Season
Games 16, Tackles 8

James O'Shaughnessy
NFL Career
Games 23, Tackles 8

Useful info, except that it isn't just the tackles that provide ST value.

I don't think Edelman is done, I think the options they have can reduce his workload and extend his career a couple of years.

Certainly possible, though I think BB will still hedge his bets.

I find it hard to believe we are actually debating whether to keep Dion Lewis or Brandon Bolden.

I shouldn't, but I still do.

The issue for me is that debating whether to keep Lewis or Bolden at RB is like debating whether to keep Amendola or Slater at WR.

Useful info, except that it isn't just the tackles that provide ST value.
As opposed to what? How many punts has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career? How many field goals has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career? How many punt returns does Brandon Bolden have in his career? How many kickoff returns does Brandon Bolden have in his career?

Last edited:
They already did by bringing Amendola back.

For this season, maybe. If you're talking about possibly extending Edelman's career for "a couple more years", then I'm talking about BB hedging his bets for 2018 and 2019.

As opposed to what? How many punts has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career? How many field goals has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career?

Really?

Not all important contributions show up an the stat sheet. Blocks that spring a returner for extra yardage, for instance. Tying up blockers on an opposing team's return attempt so that Slater, Ebner can get through to make the instant tackle.

I'm not sure why anyone should even need to explain this.

The issue for me is that debating whether to keep Lewis or Bolden at RB is like debating whether to keep Amendola or Slater at WR.

Slater is purely an ST player so I would classify him with Bolden, except his ST play alone is enough to earn his spot.

Really?

Not all important contributions show up an the stat sheet. Blocks that spring a returner for extra yardage, for instance. Tying up blockers on an opposing team's return attempt so that Slater, Ebner can get through to make the instant tackle.

I'm not sure why anyone should even need to explain this.
Blocks? How about James Develin as a blocker? How about James O'Shaughnessy as a blocker?

Brandon Bolden is so valuable that he was signed to the minimum base salary which incidentally qualified for the veteran's exemption.

patscap.com

As opposed to what? How many punts has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career? How many field goals has Brandon Bolden blocked in his career? How many punt returns does Brandon Bolden have in his career? How many kickoff returns does Brandon Bolden have in his career?

This post helps show just how much you understand and value the various aspects of special team play.

This post helps show just how much you understand and value the various aspects of special team play.
It's blatantly obvious that you can't even answer a simple question.

It's blatantly obvious that you can't even answer a simple question.

Bolden is neither a punt returner nor a kick returner. He also has no completions since he is not a QB.

Bolden is special teamer. He has also been the emergency RB and the backup 3rd down back. Given the current roster, he could certainly be beaten out by a special teamer who is neither of these.

Bolden is neither a punt returner nor a kick returner. He also has no completions since he is not a QB.

Bolden is special teamer. He has also been the emergency RB and the backup 3rd down back. Given the current roster, he could certainly be beaten out by a special teamer who is neither of these.
Brandon Bolden is a special teamer whose days are numbered.

Brandon Bolden
2016 NFL Season
Games 14, Tackles 4

Rex Burkhead
2016 NFL Season
Games 16, Tackles 13

James O'Shaughnessy
2016 NFL Season
Games 16, Tackles 8