PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis usage last night vs KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as White has improved his running skills, Lewis remains substantially better in this area. Substantially.
I don't think the results show that. White's been the go to guy on some pretty important run plays even while Lewis was in the wings.

I don't think the results show that. White's been the go to guy on some pretty important run plays even while Lewis was in the wings.

That White was used over Lewis on some running plays says nothing about my comment earlier.

I think the popular idea that Patriots' running backs, even James White, have the ability to line up as de facto slot receivers is more than a bit overstated. White, Burkhead, and Lewis have all shown the ability to split out and beat linebackers down the field in certain offensive configurations, but these plays are more exceptions than the rule that are designed to take advantage of certain defenses.

All Patriots' backs are still beginning the vast majority of snaps in the backfield and most of the routes they run are traditional running back ones to the flats, wheels, or settling in the center as a check-down.

White probably has the best hands on the team. He's also excellent in pass pro. He plays fast, he doesn't fumble, he doesn't get hurt. He also doesn't break tackles (which is related to him not getting hurt or fumbling, since he goes down before he takes a hit). He's a great player and is capable on draw plays. He's the new Kevin Faulk.

Lewis is more of a Woodhead. Good but not great hands and both a better blocker and more powerful runner than his size would indicate. He can make people miss and punish tacklers. But he gets hurt.

The nice thing is the Patriots can afford to keep Lewis in their back pocket for later in the year. Having a healthy and fresh back who's capable of doing everything well is huge when it gets into the winter months. I wouldn't fret over his usage yet.

Last edited:
That White was used over Lewis on some running plays says nothing about my comment earlier.

considering your previous statement is meaningless, 0 x 0 = 0

As much as White has improved his running skills, Lewis remains substantially better in this area. Substantially.

That is just not true at all. White is better in between the tackles and id argue better at setting up his blocks on screen passes. Also offers much better pass blocking for a rb.

That is just not true at all. White is better in between the tackles and id argue better at setting up his blocks on screen passes. Also offers much better pass blocking for a rb.

White may be better at blocking and screens, but Lewis is inarguably better when rushing after taking a handoff.

Love them all. Maybe "like" Bolden, but love all the original 53 RBs.

White is clutch. He is my fav. But Burkhead, G, and Lewis are all important and they will be the ones to get NE past this WR injury bug.

BB says yes judging by the snap counts. 2015 dion all the way. White has improved since then. Dion still has white on shiftiness and quickness for sure but white has gotten better in between the tackles, pass blocking and overall consistency. Imo white is the better player right now.

BB says yes judging by the snap counts. 2015 dion all the way. White has improved since then. Dion still has white on shiftiness and quickness for sure but white has gotten better in between the tackles, pass blocking and overall consistency. Imo white is the better player right now.

Snaps counts = better inside runner is a quintessential non sequitur.

I agree, the White v. Lewis debate has long been settled, but you're crazy if you think Dion Lewis isn't overqualified for a 4th option depth role!

The Pats are giving more carries to WRs than they are to him. LOL If all they needed was a depth piece with ST value (e.g. kickoff returner) I would've rather the they promoted Foster and dealt Lewis away to a team eager to use him.

He's being under-utilized....and it's unclear exactly why. But he's waaay too talented to be a 4th option on the depth chart. I'm sure his agent feels the same.

Yes, Lewis is great #4, with ST talent as a kick returner. This is what we want in a #4, someone who could get many more reps if someone is injured. It could happen this week, with Burkhead being given limited reps.

Running backs get hurt. We all remember the nightmare scenario of the Steven Jackson and Brandon Bolden committee from a couple seasons ago. This year, it would be Rex Burkhead and Dion Lewis. I don't know about you all, but I'll take the latter.

Agreed. He may be #4 on the depth chart, but we thought our receiver depth was impregnable before the preseason started. It's a truism that depth is always tested and you always end up needing one more man than you have.

That's true. The fact that White is used more by Belichick doesn't necessarily change your opinion.

That's true. The fact that White is used more by Belichick doesn't necessarily change your opinion.

Perhaps, but it definitely means you didn't understand the prior post. :)

Perhaps, but it definitely means you didn't understand the prior post. :)
I agree that more snap counts does not mean that one is a better inside runner.

However, being last in snap counts indeed an suggests that Belichick doesn't consider the player one of the top two running backs.

I think the popular idea that Patriots' running backs, even James White, have the ability to line up as de facto slot receivers is more than a bit overstated.

You could not be more wrong on this part.

The Patriots spreading backs out wide is a central part of the offense. It forces the defense to declare their defense pre-snap. It also often creates mismatches between slower linebackers attempting to cover quicker RBs. It force the defense to simplify their coverage.

I re-watched the Patriots opening drive. 5 of the 7 passing attempts had at least one back lined out wide. One of those 5 had two backs out wide (Develin and Burkhead).
Another had Lewis is the backfield and White in the Slot lined up against Moore, CB #24. The Saints respected his route running skills enough to put a CB on him, and White still made the play.

Furthermore, White has legitimate slot receiver skills.

I agree that more snap counts does not mean that one is a better inside runner.

So you agree with me. Then what was the point of your earlier snide remark?

So you agree with me. Then what was the point of your earlier snide remark?
i responded to one post, not having read thee others. I apologize, but sometimes some of us don't read the entire thread when we post. Also, our comments are meant to make a point, not as a search of past posts looking to evaluate who is right and who is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back