PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis usage last night vs KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they missed Blount on a couple of key plays.

This is not surprising.

Lewis is a good player who has durability issues. If he can net them a more impactful, valuable player who will contribute in a more full-time role on O or D then they kinda need to deal him to the team with the best offer.

Obviously an injury between now and 10/31 throws this all out the window.

a healthy Lewis is a better back than White IMO...more shake and bake, more yards after contact.
I'm assuming he's not the same player as pre injury, but with limited snaps it's tough to judge. Coach BB sees him every day, so I guess that all that matters.
Burkhead getting paid some good $$ for seeing just 10 snaps.

If agree from a running skill set perspective, but where White has everyone beat is on his blitz pickup and pass protection

here's running skill for ya

The question for this week is whether he can return punts.

A guy like Lewis is a nice piece to have, but he's been in the league since 2011 and never topped more than 283 yards or 2 TDs (rushing or receiving) in a single season.

I think it's a bit more than just recovering from the injury, although that would depend on exactly which injury you're referring to.

If his health was a problem, why did he play so much in the pre-season, especially with the 2s and 3s?

If his health was a problem, why did he play so much in the pre-season, especially with the 2s and 3s?
I don't think it's health per se, as in he's injured. I think it's health in that he isn't as explosive as he was before he tore his knee up. He doesn't make the first guy miss the way he used to.

I assume they were playing him in hopes that he could work back to that.

IIRC, BB was asked about that in a presser and said something generalized about getting guys accustomed to full-speed contact again. Taken in the context of Lewis' relatively low snap count against KC, it's less clear now what BB meant than it seemed to be at the time.

The question for this week is whether he can return punts.
I agree that he could certainly be a candidate for PR duties.

I don't think I'm half as concerned as you are with who fields punts for a week or two, though. If they can't put someone back there who can fair catch or run 10 yards, then we're in some trouble. Of course, it's a valuable skill to have and it's not appreciated until someone like Harper muffs a punt in a key situation, but out of all the issues, PR falls low on my list at the moment.

Very interested to see what we do in offense. I'm kind of expecting a 2 back set with white rolling out a lot, not sure who plays with him or which back steps up

White's improvement as a runner over the past two years has made him a more balanced threat than he was, a more balanced threat than Lewis is. I am SURE that snaps/touches for all the rb's are driven here more than on other teams by week-to-week game plan. We have a greater number of talented rb's than we have had in the past, which will tend to dilute everybody's participation. The mind of Belichick is unfathomable for we mortals. Put it all together, I don't see anything to worry about.

That certainly was one of the more exciting two-yard gains I've seen.
Agreed. IDC about durability concerns and declined relevance. Dion Lewis is a human highlight reel. So much fun to watch. Will definitely be missed after this season

Its good to have 4 backs. The more they can split up snaps, the better chances that we will have 4 healthy backs at the end of the season. Maybe in week 5, week 8, and week 10.. Dion Lewis runs for 90 yards and has 120 receiving yards.

I think Dion is healthy by now and he did avoid some plays being blown up behind the LOS. That might not go into the stat book but I remember them. And he hasn't had that many opportunities as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back