PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMarcus Covington new DC

Considering how many people moaned about Bills coaching staff sucking and being one of the problems, it's interesting to see them basically just bring them all back and expecting better results.
Belichick brothers aside, I don’t think we’re going to see drastic coaching changes on the defensive of the ball. I’m ok with that personally; there’s no need to mess up the chemistry on the defense. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Now the offense and STs are a completely different story. I think we all welcome wholesale changes there and that seems to be what’s going to happen. I think we will have a total offense/ST coaching refresh for 2024. Out with the old, in with the new. At least that’s what I hope happens…

Last edited:
I agree as well. But speaking for myself I don't really have a problem with Covington being the DC, he's a dam good Coach and he deserves it. I jaut want changes on the offensive side of the ball as we know defense isn't a concern. Who ever ends up being OC, and from the looks of things options are limited.. is where the changes need to be made. Getting this offense into 2024 NFL standards is the first order of operations

I agree as well. But speaking for myself I don't really have a problem with Covington being the DC, he's a dam good Coach and he deserves it. I jaut want changes on the offensive side of the ball as we know defense isn't a concern. Who ever ends up being OC, and from the looks of things options are limited.. is where the changes need to be made. Getting this offense into 2024 NFL standards is the first order of operations
so would it concern you if the pats just kept doing what they have been and bring back in a guy bb hired as oc (caley)?
95% of the board wanted bb gone,fresh start,etc. yet the rest of his staff being reworked into a new staff an his f.o. staying seems to be ok to good w/ most here.

My concern isn't for Covington, we'll see if he can do the job or not on the field - we know what the bar is from what they did last year with half their starters missing.

My concern is, the mentality of the organization seems to be that Belichick was the sole problem with the team - and if they just run it back, everything, coaches, players, front office, without him, they were actually Championship contenders that Belichick, and Belichick alone, held them back to 4-13.

I don't believe that, as someone who thought he deserved to be fired, and I doubt most people believe that. And yet, here we are.

so would it concern you if the pats just kept doing what they have been and bring back in a guy bb hired as oc (caley)?
95% of the board wanted bb gone,fresh start,etc. yet the rest of his staff being reworked into a new staff an his f.o. staying seems to be ok to good w/ most here.
If you were able to read between the lines, the Krafts are telling you that BB has been holding back people in the front office and on the staff. I tend to agree with that. Only Kraft knows which player Wolf and Groh wanted to draft and on which one Bill overruled them.

The defense is the only part of the team that has been consistently good the last few years. It’s logical to me that people on that staff have been promoted.

As of right now, only Mayo and Covington have been back. My guess is the offensive and special team staff will be different. Caley was inline to take the OC job in 2022. Now he has spent a year away in a new system. If he is the OC it will not be the old patriots system.

Why everything has to be black and white ? Why can’t we take what works in the old regime and upgrade what wasn’t working?

If you were able to read between the lines, the Krafts are telling you that BB has been holding back people in the front office and on the staff. I tend to agree with that. Only Kraft knows which player Wolf and Groh wanted to draft and on which one Bill overruled them.

The defense is the only part of the team that has been consistently good the last few years. It’s logical to me that people on that staff have been promoted.

As of right now, only Mayo and Covington have been back. My guess is the offensive and special team staff will be different. Caley was inline to take the OC job in 2022. Now he has spent a year away in a new system. If he is the OC it will not be the old patriots system.

Why everything has to be black and white ? Why can’t we take what works in the old regime and upgrade what wasn’t working?
Because right now, the Krafts are saying, 'everything in the old regime was fine except for Bill Belichick'.

They went 4-13 last year - there was a lot more fundamentally wrong with the team than just the head coach.

i think it is very unwise of the krafts to believe bb was ruining the franchise. since they don't trust his decision making,why would it not be black and white to them?

Because right now, the Krafts are saying, 'everything in the old regime was fine except for Bill Belichick'.

They went 4-13 last year - there was a lot more fundamentally wrong with the team than just the head coach.
The thing is that Bill was controlling EVERYTHING. It’s not that hard to understand.

The coaching was never the problem. It’s Bill the GM and CEO that was the problem. Bill the coach was a collateral damage.

The way he was running the show wasn’t working anymore. Getting rid of him was the only solution because you can’t strip power from someone that gain too much. It wasn’t realistic.

That doesn’t mean that every person that worked under him is incompetent. The Krafts are clearly telling you that Bill was ignoring more often then not the people under him.

Krafts knows who did what and if Wolf and Groh were responsible for all the picks then Bill would still be here and they would not.

The thing is that Bill was controlling EVERYTHING. It’s not that hard to understand.

The coaching was never the problem. It’s Bill the GM and CEO that was the problem. Bill the coach was a collateral damage.

The way he was running the show wasn’t working anymore. Getting rid of him was the only solution because you can’t strip power from someone that gain too much. It wasn’t realistic.

That doesn’t mean that every person that worked under him is incompetent. The Krafts are clearly telling you that Bill was ignoring more often then not the people under him.

Krafts knows who did what and if Wolf and Groh were responsible for all the picks then Bill would still be here and they would not.
Sounds like wishful thinking, how do you know coaching was never the problem?

The amount of blown assignments, terrible offensive line play, blocked punts, big returns that happened the last 2 years suggest coaching was a major problem.

i think it is very unwise of the krafts to believe bb was ruining the franchise. since they don't trust his decision making,why would it not be black and white to them?
The krafts clearly didn’t trust his decision making anymore. That’s why he is not here anymore.

Do you think Kraft make decision based on beliefs? The Krafts knows exactly who made every decision in this building the last few years, who made every draft pick.

Sounds like wishful thinking, how do you know coaching was never the problem?

The amount of blown assignments, terrible offensive line play, blocked punts, big returns that happened the last 2 years suggest coaching was a major problem.
The coaching has been good on defense. That’s why I don’t have a problem having most of the defensive staff back.

For the rest thanks for adding another reason why Bill shouldn’t be here anymore

TIL Bill Belichick was the Patriots CEO. I'm sure that's news to Bob and Jonathan.

TIL Bill Belichick was the Patriots CEO. I'm sure that's news to Bob and Jonathan.
Come on you know what I meant. Bill was the CEO of the football operation. He had full control over every football decision.

Come on you know what I meant. Bill was the CEO of the football operation. He had full control over every football decision.
The good news is that we'll find out if that's true or not.

yup, there were more coaching issues that the HC,
And the OC and ST coordinators are gone (and presumably special advisor Judge)
With BOB gone, I also except a new TE coach.

The question is who responsible for the Offense is coming back?

yup, there were more coaching issues that the HC,
And the OC and ST coordinators are gone (and presumably special advisor Judge)
With BOB gone, I also except a new TE coach.

The question is who responsible for the Offense is coming back?
We'll find out. If it's Nick Caley or Josh McDaniels, we'll have an answer. Same if it's someone not from that tree.

We'll find out. If it's Nick Caley or Josh McDaniels, we'll have an answer. Same if it's someone not from that tree.
Yes.

Also, I was thinking of the 2023 staff; almost all will be gone. Brown will be back, and he will continue to be responsible for returners. Perhaps, he will pick up some "advisor" functions such as going to bowl games or the combine. I believe that someone else waas listed as the receivers coach.

Caley was inline to take the OC job in 2022. Now he has spent a year away in a new system. If he is the OC it will not be the old patriots system.

Most of his career was with the Pats under the EP offense. Do you think one year with McVeigh is enough to institute a new offense?

Most of his career was with the Pats under the EP offense. Do you think one year with McVeigh is enough to institute a new offense?
Yes because it made him realize how complicated our system is.

Mayo hasn’t interviewed McDaniels. Mayo interviewed a lot of McKvay guys. My guess he isn’t doing that to run the old patriots system next year.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back