PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeMarcus Covington new DC

That does not make a whole lot of logical sense.

Are you suggesting that the defense is to take responsibility for the pick and fumble sixes committed by our offense?
That is how scoring defenses are ranked. A team that gives up 2 pick sixes means their D is out there for 2 less drives.

They gave up 30+ 3 times, 27+ 4 times. Only teams they held under 20 are Jets, Giants and Chargers 1 week before he got shut down for a wrist injury ( am I missing another?). That's not my definition of a very good D.
Pats D was #9 in DVOA, which takes strength of opponents into account.

What? Most posts on here had him as D caller and number 1. Not sure what you were reading.
Steve called the plays. Mayo did the coordinating and game planning. They split the DC role duties. Mayo ran the meetings. Given that Mayo was promoted as HC, you can infer what you will on who was number 1. Doesn't take away Steve's contributions to the D as a coach.

There is someone on this board that is totally against the John Carroll mafia in the coaching ranks and front office ranks. Just fyi - Covington went to John Carroll …. High school in Alabama.

Steve called the plays. Mayo did the coordinating and game planning. They split the DC role duties. Mayo ran the meetings. Given that Mayo was promoted as HC, you can infer what you will on who was number 1. Doesn't take away Steve's contributions to the D as a coach.
Mayo had to make a choice and he made it.

If Steve were named DC, Covington would be long gone within a week at most.

So happy to see no major changes for the Patriots.

Everything was working as advertised and I'm sure Belichick was the problem and everyone else was held back.

Since Belichick was in charge of the roster he gets the credit and blame. He put together a very good roster on defense; and the coaches did a good job with them, especially given that the offense hung them out to dry weekly. He put together a horrible QB room, mediocre offensive line, and a weak receiving corps. They sucked, and more than anything that’s what cost him his job. It also brought the offensive coaching staff into serious question. Does that mean they all suck? Who knows? Garbage in, garbage out. They need to make a decision at OC so they can help put together the offensive staff. We will know more in a week or so. People seem to be forgetting that there are many really good young coaching minds in the college ranks, and just because they don’t bring in coaches with pro pedigrees it doesn’t mean they can’t find quality coaches. Have some patience, it’s a new head coach, and a major change. It’s better they get the right people than t be done immediately after the hire.

Steven must be going elsewhere then. Staying would be a demotion.

Not if he makes him assistant head coach, which would also make t less f a loss if he left after this season.

Bill the GM got Bill the coach fired, almost entirely on the offensive side of things. IDGAF if they go internal for DC, especially with a HC who is a defensive guy.

The real thing to panic over is if the Pats can't hire a real OC because Bill left the offensive roster such a trash fire all the good guys think it would be a 1 season career crippling gig, forcing the Pats to hire a lame retread or gamble on Sean McVay's orthodontist secretly being a football genius or something.

This distinction between "Bill the GM" and "Bill the coach" can lead us to think we are talking about the same thing, when we aren't.
In my definition, it is Bill the coach that screwed up the offense with decisions about OC and assistants, and with Mac Jones' development, and the failure of any of the WR's to get significantly better. It was Bill the GM that screwed up the talent available at OT and WR.

Considering how many people moaned about Bills coaching staff sucking and being one of the problems, it's interesting to see them basically just bring them all back and expecting better results.
Plenty of other coaches are gone but as long as Tyrannosaurus Bill is gone things will be much different. At least they're keeping more of the defensive coaches. Unlike the offense, that side of the ball only needs some tweaking.

Bill the GM got Bill the coach fired, almost entirely on the offensive side of things. IDGAF if they go internal for DC, especially with a HC who is a defensive guy.

The real thing to panic over is if the Pats can't hire a real OC because Bill left the offensive roster such a trash fire all the good guys think it would be a 1 season career crippling gig, forcing the Pats to hire a lame retread or gamble on Sean McVay's orthodontist secretly being a football genius or something.
Something I hadn't thought about before was the possibility that Bill was using, or having his scouts use, his dad's scouting handbook. Bill seemed pretty proud of it in the beginning and may have been pushing it's use.

That is how scoring defenses are ranked. A team that gives up 2 pick sixes means their D is out there for 2 less drives.

That is, indeed, how they are ranked, though nearly every analysis of this ranking system criticizes it for this inclusion. The latter part of your argument does not follow and defies both logic, as well as attempts at logical reasoning through quantification, which is at the heart of the matter, since we are talking about statistics.

Do you believe that the defense should be held responsible for a pick six thrown by Mac Jones?

It is rather hilarious watching the posters on here that were correct in saying the team sucks and BB should be fired be optimistic that BB has been fired and we're running back the same old shee-ite.
You couldn't be happier than I am now that Bill's been dumped. It's just not possible.

When are you going to figure out that it's the players that win, not the coaches? Coaches are a dime a dozen and the NYFL proves that. The "greatest coach in the history of American sport" had a 4-13 record this past season, his 3rd straight losing season. What happened? Did he leave his greatness somewhere?

I am in the camp of D was overrated by holding down ****ty offenses. It was middle of the road.
Middle of the road is much better than the gutter, which is where the offense was parked all season.

I am in the camp of D was overrated by holding down ****ty offenses. It was middle of the road.
Me as well but I don't think that was Covington's fault. His unit performed and that's all you can ask

You couldn't be happier than I am now that Bill's been dumped. It's just not possible.

When are you going to figure out that it's the players that win, not the coaches? Coaches are a dime a dozen and the NYFL proves that. The "greatest coach in the history of American sport" had a 4-13 record this past season, his 3rd straight losing season. What happened? Did he leave his greatness somewhere?
Cool story bro go share that with the countless players that cite BB’s coaching as making them better

I like the Covington to DC move. The offensive side of the ball is really starting to make me nervous.

Mayo made his pick, I dont have a dog in the fight, but curious what makes you say this? They both started coaching in '12, DeMarcus started in college; Steve's experience is all in the NFL

The one thing I've heard that makes sense is that Steve is a great Xs and Os coach, but not in front of a room. It would make sense that he might not be ready for the next step of that is true.
According to both BB and Mayo, Covington is the total package.
Many Pats players, especially on D have said they're sure he'll be a HC at some point. He turned the Pats DL into the best unit on the team, and that includes both O and D. It wasn't good when he took it over. He knows the entire D , having previously been Outside linebackers coach and knows the secondary inside out according to people who know.
Several players have credited him with greatly improving their games with drills he came up with.
He also commands a room,unlike Steve.
And he is one of the most sought-after coaches in the nfl.
Mayo's job could be in jeopardy in a few short years- not because he wasn't good, but because of Covington

What? Most posts on here had him as D caller and number 1. Not sure what you were reading.
Like I said, " by posters I consider very knowledgeable"

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back