PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Debate Brady vs Belichick?

Yeah this is just another curmudgeonous hawt take shot at BB during a reset season.

Patriots are fantastic with cap space management, FA signings and other aspects of team building. All of which are GM responsibilities. Yes there have been some poor drafts recently but the last two look good.

But please continue to posting the " BB the GM Sucks" stuff for future copy and paste material.
Thanks for the encouragement. I pretty much live for your approval.

Their success together speaks for itself. That still doesn't negate the fact that BB would have to find a successor to Brady, even if he had stuck around in NE for a few more years. Personally, I don't mind taking a backseat for a season or two while Belichick re-invents this team for another long run of success. I look forward to watching how positions like WR, QB, and TE will evolve, and the team overall will improve in the coming seasons. There is no such thing as a plug-and-play offensive system. Brady was 2nd/3rd string on this team in 2000/2001 before he took over Bledsoe's job. He had plenty of time to learn the system and get mental reps watching Bledsoe. Cam didn't have that time.

Not really true. Brady had a really good to solid game against Buffalo in the second to last game of the year. QB rating of 111. He looked really good, but it did not carry over to the next game or the playoff game.
Brady’s last 8 games as a patriot
163/295. 55.2%
1730 yds 5.86 ypa
10 Td
4 Ints
78 passer rating

The offense was a total disaster by the end of the season. They had no functional TE. Sanu was hobbled, ineffective and generally not a good fit. N'Keal Harry was a non-contributing 1st round pick (an all too familiar occurrence). Dorsett had no juice left. Edelman was no longer reliable due to the dropsies. For God sake Brady was targeting Elandon Roberts. Despite all that Brady still had a TD/INT ratio of 11 to 4 in the second half of the season so Brady was not nearly as ineffective as you're suggesting.
163/295. 55.2%
1730 yds 5.86 ypa
10 Td
4 Ints
78 passer rating

163/295. 55.2%
1730 yds 5.86 ypa
10 Td
4 Ints
78 passer rating
Brady’s last game (which is more relevant than the above)
22/27 348 yards 12.9 YPA, 4 TD, 0 INT, a perfect 158.3 passer rating

Kind of makes what he did or didn’t do last year moot.

Brady’s last game (which is more relevant than the above)
22/27 348 yards 12.9 YPA, 4 TD, 0 INT, a perfect 158.3 passer rating

Kind of makes what he did or didn’t do last year moot.
What are you talking about? Try to follow along with the conversation.

What are you talking about? Try to follow along with the conversation.
I am. You said Brady didn’t have a good last 8 games and I said what he is doing now makes all of that moot.

I am. You said Brady didn’t have a good last 8 games and I said what he is doing now makes all of that moot.
Following the conversation means reading the posts that came before and provide context. Jesus.

Following the conversation means reading the posts that came before and provide context. Jesus.
I did, and I’m aware of the context.

Last year is irrelevant now when discussing Brady. He was lights out in his last game, he’s taking his team to the playoffs now and the Pats are still looking for a new QB. It’s not Cam and it’s certainly not Stidham.

I did, and I’m aware of the context.

Last year is irrelevant now when discussing Brady. He was lights out in his last game, he’s taking his team to the playoffs now and the Pats are still looking for a new QB. It’s not Cam and it’s certainly not Stidham.
Are you stupid or ignorant?

Bill is a great coach, but a mediocre GM. In evaluating his contributions, you can't overlook the GM component.
BB reminds me of Phil Jackson. Both unstoppable when they have the talent around them, but horrible talent evaluators (drafts). Bill started off great from 2000-2004 and then he went on a cold streak from 2005-08. He got back on track with 2009-2012, but now has been bad again since 2013. Bill has covered up his mistakes for the most part by trading for veterans or getting hungry veterans in FA.

However, Phil has admitted he hates young players and that's why he only likes to Coach star players who can't get over the hump.

Yawn.

They were multipliers on top of each other who had perfect synergy. We wouldn't have been as successful without BB and also not without Brady.

While we are having a down season the Bucs are stumbling towards an early playoff exit despite an offense that oozes talent.

The fact you didn't even consider adding that third option, but instead in your mind it has to be either one or the other is pretty telling.
Agree with this completely. Odd as it sounds I think Belichick doesn’t believe Brady can get it done against really good defenses any more, Brady could prove him wrong, but i think that’s why he was willing to part with him.

LOL. U mad? :D
No it was an honest question.
Context
Brady looks as great as ever; no drop-off in his play whatsoever. His accuracy is excellent at all levels. He could have thrown for 700 yards against Detroit had Arians not pulled him at the half. You know Brady didn't want to come out of the game. With 4 TD passes next weekend he'll finish with 40 which would be second most of his career.

Belichick totally blew it with Brady. Complete miscalculation of how long Brady could perform at an elite level. With Brady coming out of an MVP season, Belichick had the offense trending conservative, run first, play action, like he was protecting a declining limited quarterback. Belichick also failed to surround Brady with enough (or any) talent which further limited the offense...no adequate replacement for Gronk, whiffed as usual on a WR draft pick, let guys like Amendola leave via free agency. Brady got sick of Belichick treating him like Trent Dilfer. Now Brady is making Belichick look like a total fool. That's how I see it. It's the growing narrative nationally. Only blind-faith Belichick supporters choose to see it otherwise.

The only difference between Brady this year and Brady last year was the arm injury.
Half way through, 3/4 of the way through, the numbers were very similar but Brady fell apart over the second half of the season because he was injured (and playing in the northeast).
A GOAT QB declines die to injury. The risk of injury is greater with every year of age. Brady was completely ineffective the second half of last year.

Not really true. Brady had a really good to solid game against Buffalo in the second to last game of the year. QB rating of 111. He looked really good, but it did not carry over to the next game or the playoff game.

163/295. 55.2%
1730 yds 5.86 ypa
10 Td
4 Ints
78 passer rating
You: all that matters is his last game, he isn’t Stidham.

No it was an honest question.
Context

You: all that matters is his last game, he isn’t Stidham.
I was aware of all of that. And I said what Brady did last year means nothing anymore. He’s a big reason why his team is going to the playoffs, and the Pats are still looking for a QB.

The thing is Bill is a defensive minded coach we saw the last 3-4 years he has heavily invested in the D instead of the O. But the NFL has evolved the last few years and you cannot win consistently in today NFL with great defense like 20 years ago.

now you need to have a good offense and a good enough defense. I can’t find the quote but I remembered Saban saying something similar that with the evolution of the game he had to evolve and build strong offenses.

we saw last year that good offenses could score points against our number 1 defense. If your team cannot score between 25-30 point a game you will have trouble to keep up with the top teams in the league.

bill wants to win with defense like 20 years ago but i am not sure it’s still possible

The thing is Bill is a defensive minded coach we saw the last 3-4 years he has heavily invested in the D instead of the O. But the NFL has evolved the last few years and you cannot win consistently in today NFL with great defense like 20 years ago.

now you need to have a good offense and a good enough defense. I can’t find the quote but I remembered Saban saying something similar that with the evolution of the game he had to evolve and build strong offenses.

we saw last year that good offenses could score points against our number 1 defense. If your team cannot score between 25-30 point a game you will have trouble to keep up with the top teams in the league.

bill wants to win with defense like 20 years ago but i am not sure it’s still possible
Broncos did it but that was a historic defense. I’d love to see a defense like that here but might be very tough to build. Von Miller was drafted in 2011 and the Patriots kicked the tar out of the Broncos in the playoffs with him on the field. Things were different a few years later.

I was aware of all of that. And I said what Brady did last year means nothing anymore. He’s a big reason why his team is going to the playoffs, and the Pats are still looking for a QB.
Right he should have stayed.

Right he should have stayed.
Pats are still far from a SB team if he stayed but at least it would have bought them a little time to find the next guy. Wasn’t happening though.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back