PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deal with this: I #respect Cam as a person and as a leader

If you’re in this thread to talk about Cam Newton, or in other threads to discuss other topics, then I see where you’re coming from. That‘s frustrating. I’m referring to situations where people clearly know a thread is OT or political or Covid-related and whine about its existence.

This thread is unique because I was just being tongue-in-cheek on the OP and expected it to quickly devolve into garbage, but then it took a more serious turn. Maybe that’s why there’s a disconnect here on whether this is really a football thread.
I'm not talking about you specifically. You're not on my secret-enemy-list. I am talking about some posters that will use any excuse to cause a football thread to devolve into a vax vs non-vax thread. And I actually like some of those posters, but it's so tiring.

So sure, take that to an OT thread. I couldn't care less about that.

But frankly I don't see why anyone bothers talking about this. I am VERY on one side of this argument. Most people are. So if I argue with someone on the other side, it will never go anywhere. And if I talk about it with someone that agrees with me, it's just a ***********.

And frankly, I have better things to do, such as telling people what they should post on PatsFans and then replying to several comments about it. Important stuff...

Two topics as far as I can see (cont'd)

Two, like others I'm getting tired of threads that deteriorate into vaccination debates. It might be draconian, but I think the mods should move any thread that has more than three comments on vaccines into a separate Forum, "All Things Vax."
We need the political forum back and it needs to have a couple of the more notable troublemakers from years past autobanned from it. Either that, or it needs to have no rules at all.

I would never respect someone who asked me to dial my views back, as if they’re helplessly thrown onto this forum, into this thread, forced to read opinions about a subject for which they don’t want to hear about.

If mods request it for the sake of the forum, that’s one thing.
They didn't ask me to change my views. Just dial it back here. Whatever.

We need the political forum back and it needs to have a couple of the more notable troublemakers from years past autobanned from it. Either that, or it needs to have no rules at all.
I didn't even realize it was gone. I ventured in there 10 years ago and then ran away terrified.

I didn't even realize it was gone. I ventured in there 10 years ago and then ran away terrified.
Yep. Gone, but not forgotten. I learned quite a bit there. I learned that I was a racist, a sexist, a misogynist, an Islamaphobe, an anti-Semite, a Xenophobe, a righty, a lefty, and an idiot. All in one, magical place.

I got it!!! We get Cam's big floppy hat and secrete a diabetic sized needle in the band, filled with the Pfizer vaccine. When he puts it on...VOILA!!!....vaccinated! He's taken so many head shots, his foreskull is numb. He'll never know. Win/win IMO.

Great quote from a sports book guy.
“I think everyone knows that Mac Jones should be the starter,” Salmons opined. “I can’t imagine anyone that’s watched Cam Newton over the last two years sitting there and needing to see more Cam Newton. (The Patriots) open with Miami and that’s a game they probably need to win to start the year. If they lose, it’s really going to put the pressure on Belichick to switch quarterbacks.”

Salmons believes it’s just a matter of time before Jones gets the keys to the offense.

“I don’t know how long you can go with Cam,” Salmons added. “He’s just so limited and defenses can scheme a game so much easier than if Mac Jones is in there. These quarterbacks that come out of college now are so different than they were 10, 15, 20 years so. They’re throwing 40, 50, 60 passes a game and they’re just so much more NFL-ready than they’ve ever been.

Yep. Gone, but not forgotten. I learned quite a bit there. I learned that I was a racist, a sexist, a misogynist, an Islamaphobe, an anti-Semite, a Xenophobe, a righty, a lefty, and an idiot. All in one, magical place.

Thanks for standing up for Native Americans.

Isn’t it easier to say you hate everyone that isn’t you, and that part is debatable. :rofl:

do you hate everyone that isn't you?

That ball in the Super Bowl though....Brady chances breaking his neck to recover that...Cam ordered shirley temple!
Well nobody can fault anyone for quitting on the Panthers

I knew you were an anti-Semite but I’m surprised to hear about the rest.

What's truly pathetic is that people are blaming Newton, when they should be more focused on the league's absolutely asinine policy.

I'd like to know if Mac Jones' agent made any Venmo financial transactions with anyone on the Patriots health or travel staff this month.

Not accurate. Depends on the individual's immunity level. If it's low they should absolutely get the shots.

You should stop posting. Go back to the food thread.
Hate to agree with Deus, but he is right.
There are many cases of the vaccinated getting the virus.
The argument is it is a milder case. (The Israelis would disagree)
A vaccine can not match the immunity level than the immunity level from getting the virus.
VAERS, ADE, clots.
“Let the locking begin”

Hate to agree with Deus, but he is right.
There are many cases of the vaccinated getting the virus.
The argument is it is a milder case. (The Israelis would disagree)
A vaccine can not match the immunity level than the immunity level from getting the virus.
VAERS, ADE, clots.
“Let the locking begin”
Believe what you want.

The more I think about it, the more I think it is in the Patriots best interest to cut or trade Cam Newton ASAP. As for why...

1) You don't want to risk the possibility of Mac not playing this season. The only way to do that is to give him the starting job week 1. Then you don't need to worry about 'something happening which opens the door' for him. It probably will happen, but we don't KNOW it will.
2) Cam will not take kindly to being a back up. I'm getting the impression he was likely tolds things, or had things alluded to him in private. How long before he ask to be traded or cut? That will be another distraction that will just pile on to things, which you don't need if you are getting Mac ready to start.
3) Let's say you keep Cam, even if he ask to be traded. He has a following in that locker room. You don't want to split it up and have one side be on Cams and the other side on Mac's. Particularly while Mac is busy getting use to the NFL.

The only way to avoid any issues with keeping Cam is if he simply tips his hat to Mac and fully embraces the mentor role, which i don't see as happening. Cutting/trading him will cause issues too, but at least things will be final and not linger. As for the possibility of doing this and Mac getting hurt, and it costing you a playoff appearance, that doesn't matter in my mind. The development of Mac is a bigger concern than this year. Just how it is when QBs enter the discussion.
One thing that struck me when we signed Cam for this season (remember, he was a FA with zero interest for quite a while with end of season rumors suggesting the Pats had decided to move on) was that his new contract shows Cam can be easily cut. IMO this was no accident, the team always knew they wanted to be able to have a way to move on without any pain for whatever reason, and yes, part of this had to be the turmoil the team experienced with Cam catching COVID during the season, despite all the mumbling about treating it just like another injury yada yada.

I recall BB's presser in the middle of the deflategate crisis where he said he spent hours learning everything one could learn about how the ball gets prepared, what the rules are around the ball pressure, etc -- can we REALLY believe BB has not done a deep dive on COVID in general and on the team losing one or more key starters during the season due to COVID? And can we REALLY believe the outcome of such a deep dive is that the gain of keeping Cam is not worth the potential pain of the season blowing up if Cam is on our roster and catches COVID again due to not being vaxxed?

I'm genuinely asking, because I genuinely don't know, but I can't convince myself that Cam is worth the risk.

Another question, based on what Phil Perry said on his podcast with Curran: What is more important, winning this season, OR sorting out the QB position as soon as possible?

Phil asked the question already knowing what he'd say, that sorting out the QB position is more important. Thing is, we see what we like from Mac, but it won't matter till we see him do it in real games back to back. It *might* turn out that he has some flaw in his game that the league picks up on or something else unexpected comes up and the team decides he just isn't the long term answer. You gotta know that sooner rather than later so you can use the next off season to pivot.

Best case Cam comes in and kicks ass and we go high into the playoffs and guess what, he's on a 1 year deal, someone might want to pay big for him, we get nothing out of it but what we have now, Mac Jones, and it's a year later so one year of cheap salary burned and we'd still need to see what we have, and now we're doing that with bad draft position. We put Mac in now, either he plays well and in the off season we build the team around him, or for whatever reason we need to pivot and we're heading in a different direction with good draft position.

Yet both suspected BB didn't see it this way, the thing that matters to BB is winning games, and they surmise BB thinks Cam gives him the best chance to do that now.

As above, I think this little episode with Cam may force them to reconsider if the things he's doing to help the team are worth the potential issues that an unvaxxed player may cause over 17 games and the playoffs.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back