PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP Day 3 and 4 Training Camp Thread-Friday July 30th & Sat 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

I find it virtually impossible to dislike Cam Newton. Such a thoughtful guy, you can tell he loves being a Patriot. I liked every answer.

Now, I wish he was a better QB, I don’t think he’s a good QB. BUT, MAYBE last year was too much to ask from the guy. Coming in late, having to learn on the run, getting COVID, still suffering from his surgeries. Maybe, just maybe, a full offseason learning that playbook, being healthy, maybe Cam can be better than last year, maybe even by a decent amount.

Not for nothing, having a really good season not only helps the Pats, it helps himself because he can get himself a good contract elsewhere if he proves he can still be a top 15 NFL QB. Based on last year, he wasn’t even a top 30 NFL QB.

It's interesting because everyone I've read today has said both Cam and Mac looked good, but when you look at numbers Mac was 8-18 in competitive drills. I know practice numbers are just a shade above useless, but I'm curious what has caused such a unanimous plus rating for the kid on the day? Not doubting it, just curious.

It's interesting because everyone I've read today has said both Cam and Mac looked good, but when you look at numbers Mac was 8-18 in competitive drills. I know practice numbers are just a shade above useless, but I'm curious what has caused such a unanimous plus rating for the kid on the day? Not doubting it, just curious.
I think he had 3 drops with on target throws and he had some awesome deep ball passes.

Because saying Cam was flat out better would cause a meltdown. Have to keep the kids happy.

I believe he had a few drops but not 100% sure.

Fwiw I put almost no weight on the stats & #'s from camp. I've watched a few videos of Cam where it took like 8 seconds to complete a pass. So context is everything here.

I'm looking & listening for who's showing the best understanding of the offense. Showing control. Getting the ball out quickly. Chemistry with teammates during a play.

Next week will be fun.

Jones' numbers suffered because of a pair of drops. And reports have been a bit scattered. Zolak thought Jones blew Newton out of the water today, for example.

Because saying Cam was flat out better would cause a meltdown. Have to keep the kids happy.

Yeah, that's not it.

Here's a question:

How quickly do you think you'll be confident in your general assessment of Mac's NFL outlook?

Based on what I've seen the last 10-20 years, I'm going to be fairly convinced quickly about whether or not he'll succeed. Virtually every time a guy looks like a bust, he winds up being a bust. Virtually every star QB today got off to a hot start and "got it" right away when he started playing in games, and usually there was a lot of chatter in the preseason.

I'm sure you can name plenty of counter examples, and I'm not claiming there aren't counter examples. But by and large, a guy's abilities are pretty clear.

So, I'll just say now, I'll jump to conclusions (on my mat) re: Jones faster than most people, either way. If he dominates, I'll be drinking the Kool-Aid; if he sucks, I'll remain the a bRaDy StAn in your eyes. But I'm saying in advance I will be consistent on this...because I strongly believe the idea a 2-year or 3-year quarterback development plan is largely a myth.

This doesn't mean I'll draw conclusions the first practice of the first week of TC or necessarily even TC at all. It really depends on if he stands out obviously as good or bad. But I suspect we'll know sooner and not later...likely before the end of his rookie year. If he starts a few games, we'll know.

I'd toss Josh Allen at you but personally am not sold on him yet.

I wonder if it takes a pure pocket passing QB to hit his ceiling.

But I agree that by the end of his rookie year we should have a good idea.

Jones' numbers suffered because of a pair of drops. And reports have been a bit scattered. Zolak thought Jones blew Newton out of the water today, for example.

Yeah, that's not it.
The media personalities who spent a whole season bashing Cam, having a bias to Mac? No way, shocked.

Agree to disagree.

Bedard today provides one partial explanation for the discrepancy:

>> The QBs often rep the exact same plays, which is a disadvantage for Jones because he goes second and the defenders are not idiots.

Stidham went under the knife.

Word earlier this week was that Stidham might need to have surgery after experiencing pain in his right shoulder and back while throwing the football. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Stidham did have back surgery on Friday.

Per the report, Stidham is expected to be out for 12 weeks. That makes it likely that he’ll start the regular season on injured reserve and any setback in recovery could wind up costing him the entire season...

Jarrett Stidham had back surgery - ProFootballTalk

In case it wasn't posted.

Cam Newton WINS Day 2 QB Competition w/ FRUSTRATE…:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore