PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Danny Etling Signs 4 Year Contract. (Merge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is like an LSAT test question:

Vinny Testaverde won 50% of his NFL playoff starts with Bill Belichick as his head coach, and 33% of his NFL playoff starts without Bill Belichick as his head coach

Tom Brady won 73% of his NFL playoff starts with Bill Belichick as his head coach, and 0% of his NFL playoff starts without Bill Belichick as his head coach.

Bill Belichick has won more playoff games than any head coach in NFL history.

Question: What is Marvin Lewis' playoff winning percentage?

Going to have to counter with a different question:

How many NFL playoff starts has Tom Brady lost without Bill Bellichick as his head coach?

Going to have to counter with a different question:

How many NFL playoff starts has Tom Brady lost without Bill Bellichick as his head coach?
Answer: It's the same answer to the Marvin Lewis question - Zero!

He's lost ten playoff games. Brady's 27 for 37.

I don't see us keeping 3 QBs this year so we will see whether he can beat out Hoyer. He might make the practice squad I suppose

Then again, Matt cassell went on to have a half decent career, not a superstar, but he started for a few years got the Chiefs to the playoffs as their starter, and that's seriously beating the odds for a 7th rounder. So it's not like Brady was the only late round success.

I think I don't see a lot of people expecting Etling to be Brady. What I do see is some people who are intrigued with the pick and willing to see what he becomes.

The negative nancies that are saying the odds are against Etling aren't saying anything we don't already know. Let's give the kid a chance to at least practice with the team, and see what we have. You never know. Bill's been right before.
He has?

I don't see us keeping 3 QBs this year

We literally broke camp with 3 quarterbacks just last year.

"A starter, a veteran backup and a project" is a very common roster setup, especially if the starter is old or otherwise vulnerable.

"A starter, a veteran backup and a project" is a very common roster setup, especially if the starter is old or otherwise vulnerable.

I never said anything about last year. I was talking about this year. Secondly, we traded Brissett before the season began so we only rostered 2 QBs.

somebody has to throw to the 3rd string WR's

Etling didn’t turn the ball over much in college compared to the other QB prospects in this draft. That shows good judgement and awareness. I also read that he is very intelligent.

You can coach throwing mechanics, but you can’t coach judgement, awareness and intelligence. Let’s see what happens. Aren’t we Patriot fans? Let’s root for him. I swear some of the experts on this forum would rather have the young man fail rather than succeed just to show what a genius they are to no one who cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, they traded him before final cutdowns were due.

And yes, starter, veteran backup, project is a common roster setup, but it hasn't been in New England. Since 2012, here it's basically been starter, backup (usually on his rookie deal), and that's it. They haven't even bothered to have a QB3 on the practice squad most of the time.

I don't see us keeping 3 QBs this year so we will see whether he can beat out Hoyer. He might make the practice squad I suppose

That's probably the aim. He won't survive the cutdown to 53 and will end up on the PS. If he gets poached during the cutdown, so be it.

Let's just hope he is a QUICK study

Some video of Etling in training.

Daniel-san-training-the-karate-kid-38947361-499-288.gif

Let's just hope he is a QUICK study

Speaking of which, they should be looking to see which college QBs are working with Jeff Christensen. The last guy turned out OK.

Actually, they traded him before final cutdowns were due.

And yes, starter, veteran backup, project is a common roster setup, but it hasn't been in New England. Since 2012, here it's basically been starter, backup (usually on his rookie deal), and that's it. They haven't even bothered to have a QB3 on the practice squad most of the time.

Its actually since 2009.

Only exceptions being

2011: Hoyer + Mallet. Possibly lockout affected, as Mallet was a rookie.
2016: JG + Brisset. Possibly Brady suspension affected.

Me too. I was afraid he would be a camp hold-out, forcing Tommy to throw more during camp. TB is 41 you know, needs his rest

This day will be the biggest day in Patriots history.
The road to canton is paved and 7 straight championships.
Etling will make Brady look like a practice squad QB.
The mechanics are fixed im driving the Etling fan club bus whos coming with me?

This day will be the biggest day in Patriots history.
The road to canton is paved and 7 straight championships.
Etling will make Brady look like a practice squad QB.
The mechanics are fixed im driving the Etling fan club bus whos coming with me?

And the experts say...No way BB can ever get a HoF QB in the 6th round again.
BB says...Hold my beer.
Am I getting ahead of myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST