PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daniel Graham: "I'm actually happy that I'm out of there"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teh guys is from Denver. He went to Colorado. He's playing in his home town.So, he's glad to be "here".

This bears repeating.

For anybody who may be unaware, (suburban) Denver is where Graham grew up. He played at CU-Boulder, which is 25 minutes away.

It seemed that, while he did do it for the $, too, his FA intentions were primarily to return home.

Hey, I didn't expect Graham, Branch or Adam to say they wish they could be on this team, but I didn't expect that quote from Graham.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3150832

What do they expect him to say? "Ahh shucks, I really wish I wasn't here in Denver and I would much rather be back in New England!" Let's not forget where he learned how to talk to the media. Don't give them anything that can be misconstrued or used against you at a later date.

That is exactly what HOWARD ULMAN, wanted to get so he could have bigger story than last weeks story when an unscrupulous reporter baited and twisted a second year back up safety to guarantee a win over NE.

I disagree with your take on this, he wasn't baited, he knew what he was saying and was saying it more when he was on the field during pregame warmups. Which is why Brady when into his face

Yeah, but what are they going to say, really? "Yeah, it sucks that I am where I am now, what a bummer!" The article is dumb.

Also, Daniel? If you think it's not a business in lovely Denver, you're an idiot.

He could've easily stayed here, if he wanted to. He could've signed the Patriots offer. But to him, its just a job. And he's trying to get the most money for his time. Just like most of us do. And to the employer its just a business. I don't fault either side, and think its silly when people complain about one side not caving in to the other side's demands.

He didn't sign Denver's offer because he likes Denver. He signed it because they offered him the most money. Denver didn't give him that offer because they like have Graham around. They gave it to him because they felt it was the best deal on the market.

He will wish he is back here when Denver cuts him before the end of his deal because he won't be producing any numbers for them.

hes just mad cuz the promise he was made isnt being kept....

I would not expect a player to say they wish they coiuld be with their old team (except Kevin Millar).

As far as it being a business and letting people go, I suspect any team can have a list like that over 5-6 years. Here are a few off the top:

Indy: Cato June, Stokeley, James, the CBs

Pitt: Porter, Staley, Kimo v O, Maddox

I never understood the hate when a player takes a million dollars to go somewhere else. For example, I heard over and over how Woody must regret his mistake to go to Detriot. I look at it as Woody made millions more to play for the Lions. Millions. I say good deal for him. Maybe bad for Detriot, but good for Woody.

Its the ultimate double standard in sports, particularly in the NFL. When an organization draws a hard line and lets someone go, its a business decision. When a player draws a hard line and doesn't back down from what he's asking for, he's greedy, selfish, a punk etc...If Asante Samuel is offered 7 mill from the Pats but rejects it and takes a 9-10 mill offer from another team, there'll be a decent portion of the Pats fanbase who wont be fond of the guy. Hell, same thing for Moss, if he leaves for more money he'll go back to being a selfish jerk and cancer to some of you. You guys may not feel that way now, but thats just the way it is, players are greedy millionaires, but the owners are never greedy billionaires. And its not just Pats fans, this is how it works with every fanbase in every sport.

No need to bite the hand that fed you......

So...... it's business here, but not business for him as he took the money and ran to Denver where it is apple pie and ice cream at his home and sunshine and roses every day playing for Shanahan

Riiiiight Graham..

Last edited:
I have no problem with Graham. When he was here, he cared about winning, a lot. He earned an election to captaincy. He isn't being a jerk now. It's all good.

Meanwhile, that article was written by an idjit, who claimed that only four players remain from the 2001 championship season.

Silly article.

"Parting with players who made major contributions is nothing new for Belichick's Patriots."

This is true, but it is also true for all NFL teams.

It's like saying the Cowboys are able to keep importing new blood because the league gives them seven draft picks every year, one in each round, and sometimes they even get more if they lose more free agents than they sign.

Silly article.

Yeah, but what are they going to say, really? "Yeah, it sucks that I am where I am now, what a bummer!" The article is dumb.

Also, Daniel? If you think it's not a business in lovely Denver, you're an idiot.

Right - that's all he could say... and while it is a busienss in Denver, in this case its a business that gave him $6 million for doing largely the same thing his replacement is doing for less than half as much.

The interesting thing to me is Shanahan's statements upon signing him and the expectation that he'd be a bigger offensive producer in Denver - and Graham's feelings that he was improperly used here.

Now Shanahan's had to backtrack with Graham putting up his mediocre offensive numbers while playing well as a blocking TE -saying that's what he wanted all along.

If that's truly the case Shanahan overpaid in a BIG big way.

I think we need to start a merged thread of all the former Patriots that are now so glad they aren't on the undefeated team. :rolleyes:

I understand where Graham is going coming from financially and geographically. The Broncons paid big bucks for Graham and Denver is close to his home. Graham's right, "its just business".

Graham is entitled to his opinion. But I hope he gets a good look at his two Super Bowl rings and remembers the "business" atmosphere it took to get them.

The only thing about this article that really bothers me is that WillMac would not be interviewed, referring to the Patriots with a cuss word. IIRC, didn't WillMac leave on good terms? Didn't WillMac re-do his contract several times so he could stay? What happened to cause McGinest to feel that way? Is he mad at the loss earlier in the season to the Patriots?

McGinest for so long represented everything Woody, Graham, Branch and Givens were not. Guys like WillMac, Bruschi, Brown and others would take less money to stay put and win Vinces. These other guys wanted the big payday and don't seem too concerned over winning any more SBs. Vinatieri was one of the few guys who did leave and continue to win. Other than that, the norm is leave to get rich and stay to be a champion.

I always like to use Woody as my shining example. He got his big bucks, but got several years of a lousy franchise with no hope of winning a SB along with it. Since he has two rings already, does winning any more matter at all with him? I can't speak for these players since I never played the game myself, and I can't say that the chance to get rich isn't enticing. I do know that losing sucks and being affiliated (as a fan, at least) with a winning organization like the Patriots is a tremendous positive feeling.

It would be nice if these former players had some secret longing for their days in Foxborough, but in the end, they made their decisions and they have to live with it. And yes, the Patriots are a business and has to continue to operate as such.

Bob G

Graham enjoys being with the Broncos. Complains that the New England Patriot is run too much like a business. Wow! What does he think an NFL football team is, a boyscout organization?

Well, bless his heart. Glad it's working out for him. He'll be able to watch the Superbowl from his recliner.

Yeah, good for him that Denver doesn't enjoy winning as much, so they can't be as picky right now.

Can he honestly say that after 3 years of 3 different running backs because they strongly believe in the system though? It sounds like sour grapes to me.

He signed up for more money to go home and p-lay for a coach that is every bit as good as BB. It may not result in another ring but his team will win more than it loses as long as Shanny is the Boss. Not a bad deal. Stupid to diss his old employers though as you never know what might happen down the road to a blocking TE who is being paid like he is a pass-catching TE.

As far as Willie goes..he's obviously coked-up.

Of course, it's a lot easier playing for a less than demanding organization and making more money. This whole thing is ridiculous. Does anyone think Graham would admit to being unhappy.

There are some players who don't want to win that badly. There are those players who feel money is more important than team success. While those players may not make that much more in salary than they would had they stayed with the Patriots, they decided to take the money. Those players are not fit to be members of the NE Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents